Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best options for a new family

• 24-05-2011 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

hi i'm looking for advice on what benefits you are entitled to....

here is my situation....my gf has a 2 yr old child from a different man
    he is not around and my gf has been claiming one parent family payments.
    we recently found out that we are having a another baby and are now looking
    to moving into together but we are not sure what would be are entitled?
    i work full-time on a low wage, she works 2 days a wk(12hrs total)

any advice would be great

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

if you work over 19 hours and earn less than 500 per week (for one child afaik) then you may be entitled to Family Income Supplement. AFAIK at least one of you must be in stable long term employment- not just a temporary job like. hope this helps.

edit: actually if you're working full time i dont think you're entitled.how many hours is it you work? i think the limit is 30??? could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

childrens allowance when the child is born thats about it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 swansin

ya i earn less than 500 a week, what are the rates for family income supplement? ya i work 38hrs per wk
    would we be entitled to rent relief?

swansin wrote: »
    ya i earn less than 500 a week, what are the rates for family income supplement? ya i work 38hrs per wk
    would we be entitled to rent relief?

you wouldnt be entitled on those hours i think regardless of the amount you earn.
    they take the amount you earn from the guide rate for the family size- i think its 500 for one child (the rates areon the citizens info site though) - and give you 60% of the difference. i think you're ensured 20 per week if you're entitled though.

not sure about rent relief. you could prob try contacting the tax office though about rent.

maybe ask your local Community Welfare Officer about Supplementary Welfare Allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

There is no upper limit of the number of hours you can work for FIS. The qualifying criteria are that you work 19 hours and have at least one qualifying child living with you.

The limits are 506 for a family with one child, and 602 for a family with two children. If your total family income is less than these limits, they will pay you 60% of the difference.

Your partner will not be eligible for OPFP once you move in together (obviously), but she may be entitled to a Jobseekers payment if she is looking for and available for full time work. They will take your income into account when determining how much she can get.

If your partner has you included on her Jobseekers claim, then you can't apply for FIS. If you let us know what income you are gettnig from your job, then someone should be able to work out which option is best for you.

If you are working full time (30 hours or more), then you can't get rent supplement.

Also, if your wife has been working for a year or more, she will be entitled to maternity benefit while she is on maternity leave.

• Advertisement

There is no upper limit of the number of hours you can work for FIS. The qualifying criteria are that you work 19 hours and have at least one qualifying child living with you.

The limits are 506 for a family with one child, and 602 for a family with two children. If your total family income is less than these limits, they will pay you 60% of the difference.

fair play- was nearly sure someone told me you could only work up to 30 hours, guess not, good news for the OP so!

best of luck anyway OP!

Advertisement