Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish comunity in Adelaide

Options
  • 13-01-2015 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

What is the Irish community like in Adelaide? Looking at a move there. Obviously we will want to integrate as much as possible to the Aussie way of life but it would be nice to hear some familiar voices during the transition.

Also whats the climate like there?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

What is the Irish community like in Adelaide?
    I've been here since ~2009, and i couldn't honestly answer that one for you! :pac: mostly because i tend to stick with the 'inherited' family who, incidentally, are 1st & 2nd gen N.Irish. I know there's a lot of Irish around Adelaide, both 1st, 2nd generation also, and you'll find them all in the Irish Club for Paddys day at least :p Apart from that, I'm not into sports & not highly sociable so it kinda leaves me out in the cold.. Check out the Adelaide Irish Connect FB page, i think there's usually plenty going on.
    Also whats the climate like there?
    Where are you from? In Adelaide at least, it's like the south of Spain in summer, and the Achill Island in Winter! You can get historical weather data from the BoM. Today, it's a little muggy, warm and humid. Having been to Perth, Sydney, and Melbourne, I'd still choose to live in Adelaide.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

I've been here since ~2009, and i couldn't honestly answer that one for you! :pac: mostly because i tend to stick with the 'inherited' family who, incidentally, are 1st & 2nd gen N.Irish. I know there's a lot of Irish around Adelaide, both 1st, 2nd generation also, and you'll find them all in the Irish Club for Paddys day at least :p Apart from that, I'm not into sports & not highly sociable so it kinda leaves me out in the cold.. Check out the Adelaide Irish Connect FB page, i think there's usually plenty going on.

Where are you from? In Adelaide at least, it's like the south of Spain in summer, and the Achill Island in Winter! You can get historical weather data from the BoM. Today, it's a little muggy, warm and humid. Having been to Perth, Sydney, and Melbourne, I'd still choose to live in Adelaide.

Thanks Wooly, As I say its not to just group together but rather just to hear the odd accent. We would be looking to go to south Adelaide near the coast. Kids will be going to local schools and all that. How is employment there at present? I'm in the ICT sector and the OH is currently training as a nurse.

We are at the start of a long process with saving and having out settlement funds and everything else that goes with it. I suppose making the decision to go is the hard part after that its just keeping the head down and doing whats needed.

Glad to hear that there is a good community there too. How are the locals to "outsiders"? I have been to Adelaide before but only for a couple of days. I really liked the laid back way of life.

ElKavo wrote: »
    Thanks Wooly, As I say its not to just group together but rather just to hear the odd accent. We would be looking to go to south Adelaide near the coast. Kids will be going to local schools and all that. How is employment there at present? I'm in the ICT sector and the OH is currently training as a nurse.

We are at the start of a long process with saving and having out settlement funds and everything else that goes with it. I suppose making the decision to go is the hard part after that its just keeping the head down and doing whats needed.

Glad to hear that there is a good community there too. How are the locals to "outsiders"? I have been to Adelaide before but only for a couple of days. I really liked the laid back way of life.

oh-hi-there-turtle.jpg

I works in ICT too, though nothing highly desirable. Like anywhere, it depend on your discipline.. Where i am, there's a lot of work going into developing practical in-house uses for Sharepoint. Business Enablement they call it. Not my thing though, not fond of programming..

South of Adelaide is great for access to beaches and all that. We're hoping to build or buy out that direction in the next year or so. Adelaide as a whole is a very car-centric city though - the bus & train network sometimes leave a lot to be desired - people complain then when one of their precious car lanes is changed to a bus lane.. :eek:

In adelaide, both in and out of work, I have and do interact with Aussies (both real and fake), Saudis, Pakistanis, Indians, Dutch, British, Irish, American, 'wogs', fake mexicans, Filipinos, New Zealanders, Asian, African.. We're all here and we all get along just fine despite the passive racism. But everyone loves an Irish accent ;)

LOL Great to hear. We wont be able to make our way for about 3 years unless we magicaly stumble across the $35k we'll need + all the other costs, Visas, flights, shipping, animal transportation and so on. We think we should be ok with about €35k to allow all that. Can you tell me how much roughly it cost you to relocate and the number of people you relocated? If not too private. Or Pm me the details? How did you find the whole visa thing? Did you go on a skilled migration?

Lots of questions but I had better do some work here If Im to get the cash required...

Thanks

LOL Great to hear. We wont be able to make our way for about 3 years unless we magicaly stumble across the $35k we'll need + all the other costs, Visas, flights, shipping, animal transportation and so on. We think we should be ok with about €35k to allow all that. Can you tell me how much roughly it cost you to relocate and the number of people you relocated? If not too private. Or Pm me the details? How did you find the whole visa thing? Did you go on a skilled migration?

Lots of questions but I had better do some work here If Im to get the cash required...

Thanks

Not to private at all for the most part. Unfortunately for you, my 'journey' is very different to what yours will be. My OH is Aussie - or as I like to call her, 1/4 Irish as her father is Northern Irish! :p Anyway, I migrated on a partner migration visa. All I brought with me was a backpack full of drea.. I mean, clothes, and whatever cash I had. I completed the entire visa application myself, and found it to be relatively straightforward, but long. Those immigration folks were lovely and helpful anytime i spoke to them. Moving straight in with the OH, I didn't have the same worries about where to live, how to get around, getting a bank account straight away, etc. I think about that sometimes and how fortunate I was when I see others asking for advice on these forums, so I try to help of I can. But, sometimes I just don't have any answers. Except, you know, alt+tab and win+m!

• Advertisement

Not to private at all for the most part. Unfortunately for you, my 'journey' is very different to what yours will be. My OH is Aussie - or as I like to call her, 1/4 Irish as her father is Northern Irish! :p Anyway, I migrated on a partner migration visa. All I brought with me was a backpack full of drea.. I mean, clothes, and whatever cash I had. I completed the entire visa application myself, and found it to be relatively straightforward, but long. Those immigration folks were lovely and helpful anytime i spoke to them. Moving straight in with the OH, I didn't have the same worries about where to live, how to get around, getting a bank account straight away, etc. I think about that sometimes and how fortunate I was when I see others asking for advice on these forums, so I try to help of I can. But, sometimes I just don't have any answers. Except, you know, alt+tab and win+m!

Yep Definitely a different situation there alright. We don't have any family there so that visa is out of the question. From my initial inquires we should both be ok with our professions and qualifications.

Thanks for the feed back

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

Thanks

Elkavo, I'm in IT too and luckily found work very quickly but had lots of experience.

Moved with my wife we have no kids and did it for about €20K and used an agent on a state sponsored skilled migrant visa with immediate PR. Left the animals with family as we found it way too expensive to consider at nearly 5k per animal and we didn't think that our dog would enjoy the heat anyway.

Overall the visa and move process wasn't too difficult and if I was doing it again would maybe save the agent money and DIY the application although he proved a great sounding board at times.

Like WM I love living here in Adelaide and am delighted I made the move but it's not for everyone and things are getting tougher in general.

Don't hang out much with an Irish community (never been to the Irish club in fact but I do like a pint in the Dan O'Connell from time to time) but do have a couple of Irish and English friends as well as a good few straylians.....

RustySpoon wrote: »
    Don't hang out much with an Irish community (never been to the Irish club in fact but I do like a pint in the Dan O'Connell from time to time) but do have a couple of Irish and English friends as well as a good few straylians.....
    Irish club is good for a bit of craic on Paddys day. When it lands on a weekend there can be a pretty big queue out the door. Zee Gurman club is much better on October :pac:

My favs for guinness are the Gov (free tram kids ;)), the Whitmore, and i have yet to drop into the Brecknock, despite living within walking distance.. :o, but i heat it's good. I think down south way, a lot of folks hit up Mick O'Sheas, though i never been myself. The quality of the guinness has gotten a lot better sine they started brewing in SA.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

My favs for guinness are the Gov (free tram kids ;)), the Whitmore, and i have yet to drop into the Brecknock, despite living within walking distance.. :o, but i heat it's good. I think down south way, a lot of folks hit up Mick O'Sheas, though i never been myself. The quality of the guinness has gotten a lot better sine they started brewing in SA.

German club is great at all times, lovely Wheat & Dunkel beers ah.......

Brecknock isn't all that, it's weird that when you need to go to the toilet you walk into a brightly lit Chinese after being in a dingy Irish style pub. Mates say it was way better before.

Barossa this weekend for me so no beers, just some fine Shiraz.

RustySpoon wrote: »
    Elkavo, I'm in IT too and luckily found work very quickly but had lots of experience.

Moved with my wife we have no kids and did it for about €20K and used an agent on a state sponsored skilled migrant visa with immediate PR. Left the animals with family as we found it way too expensive to consider at nearly 5k per animal and we didn't think that our dog would enjoy the heat anyway.

Overall the visa and move process wasn't too difficult and if I was doing it again would maybe save the agent money and DIY the application although he proved a great sounding board at times.

Like WM I love living here in Adelaide and am delighted I made the move but it's not for everyone and things are getting tougher in general.

Just Pm ed you there Rusty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

Just Pm ed you there Rusty.

I brought the family along 6 years ago. Adelaide is a great place to bring up kids. It's quiet, accessible, great beaches, great wine and not crowded.
    If you are into big cities, partying and noise, it's not for you. I believe it's a good alternative 'big country town' compared to Sydney and Melbourne. They love sports here also, which is a bonus. There is a small Irish community where everybody knows each other but rarely meet up. eg Wooly, Rusty and I have been posting on this board for years but have never actually met up in Adelaide.

Summers are very hot. Winters are cool, but, for me, the saving grace during that time is the footy. The daughter and I loooovvvveee the Crows and go along to all the matches.

We have a world class stadium here and I am confident that will bring lots of international events in the next few years eg March 15th, Ireland V Pakistan, Cricket World Cup, Adelaide Oval. If you are into sports, it is a great city.

Employment is average at best and a lot of the manufacturing base that Adelaide has relied on in the last 30 years will be gone within the next 3 years. However, there is work available but you got to be organised, resilient and good at what you do.

I live close to the center but work in the Barossa in the wine industry so I suppose have the best of both worlds.

Summers are hectic, March is mad, winters are quiet and to be endured as a gap between summers!!

The visa process is stressful and takes time. However, patience and persistence gets most people through it

Hope this helps and good luck

seipeal1 wrote: »
    I brought the family along 6 years ago. Adelaide is a great place to bring up kids. It's quiet, accessible, great beaches, great wine and not crowded.
    If you are into big cities, partying and noise, it's not for you. I believe it's a good alternative 'big country town' compared to Sydney and Melbourne. They love sports here also, which is a bonus. There is a small Irish community where everybody knows each other but rarely meet up. eg Wooly, Rusty and I have been posting on this board for years but have never actually met up in Adelaide.

Summers are very hot. Winters are cool, but, for me, the saving grace during that time is the footy. The daughter and I loooovvvveee the Crows and go along to all the matches.

We have a world class stadium here and I am confident that will bring lots of international events in the next few years eg March 15th, Ireland V Pakistan, Cricket World Cup, Adelaide Oval. If you are into sports, it is a great city.

Employment is average at best and a lot of the manufacturing base that Adelaide has relied on in the last 30 years will be gone within the next 3 years. However, there is work available but you got to be organised, resilient and good at what you do.

I live close to the center but work in the Barossa in the wine industry so I suppose have the best of both worlds.

Summers are hectic, March is mad, winters are quiet and to be endured as a gap between summers!!

The visa process is stressful and takes time. However, patience and persistence gets most people through it

Hope this helps and good luck

Thanks seipeal, great to hear its worked out for you. I am a technical manager and I have seen a few jobs around Adelaide that would really suit. did you go on a sponsored visa or straight for residency? Going to the working abroad expo at the end of March so hopefully we can meet up with employers in my field and scope out the territory. the visa is about €7k without a migration company involved. When I was in Adelaide before I really liked the fact that it wasn't like Melbourne if you know what I mean. what is the sea like around Adelaide? Myself and the eldest like to do a bit of surfing. We would ideally like to live near the coast too, are the properties in that area crazy money like here? When you moved over did you go for a rental? Did you find getting furnished properties a problem? Did you bring all your furniture or buy again over there?

Sorry for loads of questions.

Cheers

what is the sea like around Adelaide? Myself and the eldest like to do a bit of surfing. We would ideally like to live near the coast too, are the properties in that area crazy money like here?

I can't swim, never mind surf. but i do like to splash about when i'm at the beach. I spent new years day on South port beach. B.e.a.utiful.. :pac: lot of surfers out that day too. there's lots of nice beaches that really aren't that far of a drive from any of the inner suburbs. Check out realestate.com.au for an idea of house prices in any suburb, they have a nice map search.

I can't swim, never mind surf. but i do like to splash about when i'm at the beach. I spent new years day on South port beach. B.e.a.utiful.. :pac: lot of surfers out that day too. there's lots of nice beaches that really aren't that far of a drive from any of the inner suburbs. Check out realestate.com.au for an idea of house prices in any suburb, they have a nice map search.

One word.... WOW.

Hows about sharks around Adelaide? I know someone in Perth and he was saying they are a relatively common occurrence.

One word.... WOW.

Hows about sharks around Adelaide? I know someone in Perth and he was saying they are a relatively common occurrence.

How often do you see a deer in the woods? I think that while humans are naturally drawn to the water, it's still not our domain by a long shot. The shark thing depends on some varying factors, such as habitat, food, and weather.

Despite the similarities in degrees south of the equator, Adelaide ≠ Perth.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/chart-sharks-are-scaring-people-away-from-the-beach-2015-1

While the risk is very real, you do have to ask yourself, do you understand what you're asking? What about jellyfish. Crocs. Snakes. Redbacks! Even a huntsman could kill you indirectly! http://ianberry.com.au/berry-buzz/tv-commercials/ :pac:

How often do you see a deer in the woods? I think that while humans are naturally drawn to the water, it's still not our domain by a long shot. The shark thing depends on some varying factors, such as habitat, food, and weather.

Despite the similarities in degrees south of the equator, Adelaide ≠ Perth.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/chart-sharks-are-scaring-people-away-from-the-beach-2015-1

While the risk is very real, you do have to ask yourself, do you understand what you're asking? What about jellyfish. Crocs. Snakes. Redbacks! Even a huntsman could kill you indirectly! http://ianberry.com.au/berry-buzz/tv-commercials/ :pac:

LOL, Yeah your right. So what about all the aforementioned baddies? Are they going to be in my house? :pac::pac:

LOL, Yeah your right. So what about all the aforementioned baddies? Are they going to be in my house? :pac::pac:

Unlikely.. when i moved over, i lived in a bit of a sh!t-box. There were a couple of huntsman that would hide under some massive curtains that were never opened. They're 100% **** scary, and 100% harmless. let 'em outside, or whack 'em with your shoe. I've only seen one in the last three years. none in the last two.

Redbacks can be everywhere outside. They're poisonous so avoid or kill. They like dark little corners, under the eves, steps, patios, outside furniture. You're unlikely too see them unless you go looking for them. Standard pest control should eleminate them, or keep them away.

I'm actually not even sure there are any crocs in SA. Never seen a snake, but there are brown snakes everywhere apparently. They are poisonous, and should be avoided. Haven't seen any jellyfish either, but then again, i never get out of my own depth to find out. And i've never seen a shark. Dolphins, yes. But no sharks.

So, for the most part, you're pretty safe around Adelaide, or any major city. Maybe others here could correct me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Come on down to Port Lincoln SA to go diving with sharks!

Wooly, Your a veritable fountain of knowledge, When we get over I'll have a cold one for you!! Thanks for all the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

Wooly, you are the fountain of knowledge on South Australia. Good on you!!! Snakes can be a bit of an issue. I am in the suburbs but have a lot of palms and undergrowth in the back and had a brown snake out the back this summer.

NOTHING prepares you for that, especially with a 7 year old who loves playing out the back!
    However, they are few and far between but you do have to be careful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement