Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would you allow it

Options
  • 11-01-2015 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

My 13 year old daughter loves dancing and goes to about 3 or 4 major compatitions a year with her dance class, she also goes to practice twice a week.

A few days ago the dance teacher sent a letter home telling us that there was a new dance/sing/ model agencey opened in another part of the country and it would be a great oppertunity for our kids if they were to sign up for it.
    The story is if they got picked for a part they would get paid a fee but also if they were picked they would have to pay membership of 150euro a year.
    My argument with my daughter is if she should happen to get a part who is going to take her to these places. They could be anywhere even abroad.
    A lot of parents are jumping at the chance to sign up.their kids.
    The letter went on to say that on saturday last she would be taking videos of each child doing their routine and send them to the dance agencey. (this didnt happen) but the more I think about it I dont think I want videos of my child sent to people I know nothing about.
    This is going to cause an almighty row between myself and my daughter, because in her eyes the dance teacher is GOD and in her words(daughter) everybody is signing up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

This sounds like a complete scam. Shame on the teacher for putting children in a position where they can get all excited and then the parents have to be the bad guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

hate when teachers or coaches do this. hype up the kids for something long before parents get a chance to assess the idea. imo the correct thing would be to approach parents first and see if they are interested, even vaguely interested, before saying anything to the kids. for a myriad of reasons, parents don't want or can't afford lots of things which teachers/coaches think would be fabulous experience. going to the space station would be a fantastic experience too but I wouldn't expect my kids science teacher to be promoting it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would go talk to them.
    Many years ago I did dancing in Digges Lane ne and they had similar but run by them,the performing arts academy where my kids go you either opt in or out for castings and just pay to get the photos done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Your child is underage and the teacher cannot send pictures or videos to anyone without your express consent. Make this perfectly clear to the teacher. Even taking pictures or videos requires your consent - your daughter can't grant that consent - only you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

lazygal wrote: »
    This sounds like a complete scam. Shame on the teacher for putting children in a position where they can get all excited and then the parents have to be the bad guys.

I wonder what the teacher's commission for each sign up might be. That's the first question I'd be asking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I would be very wary about this to be honest It sounds very odd to me. The first thing that strikes me as odd is why the teacher is pushing it so much, sounds like she is getting commission and is thinking of that rather than what is good for the kids.

The membership fee thing is also concerning me. I have a cousin who was with a model agency for a while and the agency took a percentage of the fees she earned rather than charging a membership fee. I would be worried that your daughter could get picked up not actually get any jobs so basically you will be paying a membership fee for nothing

Does the membership fee included photos/recordings etc? How are the people who received these photos/recording vetted? Who can access them?

Is there any pently fee if your daughter wants to leave the agency?

To be honest I would not get involved nor would I give my consent to the teacher recording your daughter. I don't like the way that the teacher is handling this. She should have spoken to the parents before involing the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

endacl wrote: »
    I wonder what the teacher's commission for each sign up might be. That's the first question I'd be asking.

I never even thought that she might be getting a commission:confused :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Miaireland wrote: »
    The membership fee thing is also concerning me. I have a cousin who was with a model agency for a while and the agency took a percentage of the fees she earned rather than charging a membership fee.

Reputable agencies work on a percentage basis so if you don't get work they don't get paid. Stay well away from any that are looking for money up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

echo beach wrote: »
    Reputable agencies work on a percentage basis so if you don't get work they don't get paid. Stay well away from any that are looking for money up front.

Especially when the payment is driven by pester power. It's actually a clever idea. If I was an unscrupulous pr1ck I'd do it. Imagine, hit 20 theatre/dance schools. Get 10 kids from each to sign up. 200 kids at €150 a pop? That's 30k in your fist for an afternoon's effort. Rent a cheap office, brass plaque on the door, print off a load of professional looking flyers? The beauty of it is you don't actually have to do anything for the fee.

"Sorry. We did our best. We sent their photo/c.v. out to loads of production companies. It's not our fault your kid isn't what their looking for".

Any reputable agent will want to see what a child can do, to see if they are a talent that can be worked with and developed. Their fee will be a percentage of earnings, and not an up front payment.

Steer well clear of this one op. Advise other parents to do the same. You'll be €150 down, and have a upset, disappointed kid.

Advertisement