Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nursing in the UAE

Options
  • 06-01-2015 3:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there,

Iv been unlucky to find no existing information or thread in regards to nursing in the UAE so I thought id start my own thread.

Im a nurse and am interested in and presently researching working in Abu Dhabi or Dubai. id really appreciate if there is anybody with information in regards to living, working, lifestyle etc. Iv heard about the tax free, free acommodation benefits but just wondering how difficult it is to find work and settle over there.

Thanks
    Koggs :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Good money, but its pretty much a gilded cage, especially for Women IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Hey Koggs, sorry i don't have any info on what its like working as nurse in the UAE, life style wise it will really depend on your salary. AD is a nice city, a bit quieter than Dubai in terms of social options but still plenty available. More and more stuff going at YAS in terms of gigs etc... AD now has the RIPE organic market, the Dubai one is lovely. Its less restrictive in that you don't need an alcohol licence in AD but you do in Dubai (only for off licence purchase although technically you should have it to drink in general its a bit complicated but you wont have issues provided your sensible). I would guess accommodation is provided, this can be hit and miss and will generally be sharing they may offer a live out allowance but this generally won't cover the rent and rent is pretty steep in AD and there is not rental cap (as in landlords can raise it to whatever they want when the lease is up) also rent is generally paid with post dated cheques anything from 1 (for the whole year in advance) down to 6 (very rare) mostly its 2 or 4. Do you know anyone here? I had a friend here and moved with my other half it was still hard at the start, generally leave isn't given until 6 months or in my case one year of your contract is up they can do this as per labour law plenty of companies don't but its worth checking. Be wary of any promises that are not in your contract, if they are not in the contract they will be next to impossible to get once you get here. After 4 years here I am a bit institutionalized to how things work, its quiet different but you get used to it and its not so bad. Overall the ME has a lot to offer, though it takes a bit of getting used, driving here is nuts but again you get used to it, mostly the same shops are available here just more expensive... i live in hope for pennys ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 E_slattery

Hi Koggs,

There are loads of nurses coming to Abu Dhabi and settling in especially those with the Cleveland Clinic. I got chatting to one at training last night. I agree with Wuffly especially with driving on the roads here! It is mental. I stocked up on plenty of Penny's clothes before I left ;)

Before I left for the UAE a friend got me onto a very good website - Abu Dhabi Paddy.com. It should answer most of your questions and worries about moving to Abu Dhabi. It's difficult to settle in but once you are here. It's hard to leave.

Best of luck Koggs

Advertisement