Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest expatriate challenges?

Options
  • 16-10-2014 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am interested in an expatriate assignment, but I want to ask experienced expatriates: what have been the biggest challenges you have faced from your assignment?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Culture shock is something that hits everyone some time or other, even if you are in an English speaking country... in fact it may even be greater in an English speaking country as your expectations on fitting in etc... are greater.

For me I would say learning Swiss-German, a language with no official written form and few language classes. This language varies from canton (county) to canton and so after 25 years here I can say that I'm comfortable with the dialects spoken in Zurich, Basel and Bern but I still struggle to understand other dialects.

On the other hand I can say at this stage that I feel very much at home here and while I enjoy a visit to Ireland every now and then it no longer feels like home...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The hardest thing for me is that my son doesn't get to see nearly as much of my family as I'd like. Skype is great but not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Missing family and friends, specifically family events has to be one of the biggest challenges.

The perception that l have a "highflier" lifestyle and that l should not complain because "l have it so good" grates particularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Try to focus on the opportunities more than the challenges. Such as...

Learning a new language maybe. Experiencing other cultures, & local food & drink. Meeting new people, developing a new social circle. If based in continental Europe you may also have easy travel to other countries.

I've been working in Switzerland for over 5 years now. I love the place! I knew SFA about the place before I got here - it was just a funny little country in the middle of Europe who didn't want to play ball with its neighbours in my opinion.

Now I can get by speaking a bit of Swiss German, I love the local food & drink. I have a wide circle of local friends & an active social life. Swiss social formalities were a bit of a shocker when I got here first, but I really like it now.

I can hop on a train & in 90 mins I can be drinking Rügenbrau beer & eating fondue under the north face of the Eiger. In a month or so I could be hurtling down a sledge run under the Matterhorn. You don't get experiences like that back home. :)

If you get the opportunity to work abroad - take it. It will expand your horizons, give you a broader view of the world & life in general, & also make you appreciate home much more.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Try to focus on the opportunities more than the challenges.

Couldn't agree more.

I live in the Middle East. Not quite the culture shock you would imagine, as I mentioned recently on the Food and Drink forum, I can now get Rudds black and white pudding in my local supermarket (yes, you can get pork and beer here. In fact, a pint of Heineken is cheaper than a lot of places in Dublin).

However, the culture is one aspect that I am fascinated by. I always tell people, take all preconceived notions, stereotypes and fears they have about the region and throw them out. The people here are wonderful, friendly and extremely welcoming, despite what Sky News might have you believe. And they are very appreciative of the work we do here.

While I am a complete and utter disaster with the language (I've started learning Arabic on five different occasions), in fairness, part of my job is to teach the locals English (or at least immerse them in an English language environment).

And of course the religion. Recently, at during the Eid AlHada festival (kinda like our Easter), we had an opportunity to visit the local Grand Mosque, where they had put on a load of cultural events specifically for non-Muslims. It was fascinating and confirms yet again that Muslims do not hate Westerners, do not want to kill us all and are embarrassingly knowledgeable about, and receptive to, Christianity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Now I can get by speaking a bit of Swiss German, I love the local food & drink. I have a wide circle of local friends & an active social life. Swiss social formalities were a bit of a shocker when I got here first, but I really like it now.

Actually one of the big dangers is that people do the opposite and live in what I call the expat bubble... and two or three years later when it comes to leaving, they know nothing of the language, have no local friends etc....

Oh, I agree entirely. Most of my expat former workmates really only socialize amongst themselves. I am more the exception than the rule in that respect.

Funnily enough though, two other Irish gentlemen I have met here stay well away from the whole expat circle too. They are more often to be found in the company of locals & sipping on a glass of wine on a terrace rather than necking pints of Carling in the local 'English' pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 VictoriaL8

Wow, I am fascinated by all of your experiences! Thank you so much for these perspectives into your lives.

Several of you mentioned the importance of language and I agree that it is very important and requires hard work. Many of you also mentioned that it is difficult to be away from family and friends, I commend you for sticking with your assignments or travels throughout.

I love reading about your different cultural experiences and the encouragement to work abroad. Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Language, also making "local" friends is more difficult than would be at home as you dont, or wont immediately have, the shared cultural and sporting references which people bond over. Takes a bit more work and probably is tied to language abilities.

Anyone south of the equator, you'll probably never quite get used to Christmas and New Year being mid summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

For me one of the big challenges is trying to figure out where I'll end up. My wife and I are both from different countries (and continents) and we live in Dubai. Dubai can never be our final home. So we need to decide what comes after Dubai - do we opt to continue the expat lifestyle somewhere else, or do we relocate to the west.

This question affects one's financial planning also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Generally being away is fine, once you make wherever you are your home. Its hard at the beginning when you are still living at home in your head, not really embracing where you are. Well it was for me anyway, when I travelled I had no problem throwing myself in language wise (badly) food wise, culturally etc. emigrating was a bit different. The biggest challenge for me right now is my aging parents and worrying how long before they will need more care. I don't like missing family/friend events and seeing as I am still minus kids I have missed relatively few of the big events. Its the sad events I find harder, you'll get photos of a wedding and wish you were there but when someone you love is sick or passes away you can't always get there and that is very hard. I don't like the idea of my future kids not knowing their cousins the way I know mine as extra siblings. I think for us the challenge will be when do we go home, when is the right time, almost 4 years into the 2 year plan....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NSAman

I agree with everything that has been said here.

Family and friends I miss most. As years go past and inevitably you loose the contact you had with people, this becomes easier. You learn that seeing peeople when home, you catch up very quickly. Sad as it sounds, you make new friends and contacts and a circle of friends, hopefully, becomes clearer.

I am never into the expatriate scene. All of my friends are local, I know of 5 Irish people living in my area, have actually met 2 of them in passing but they would not be my friends simply because they are Irish.

Someone mentioned loosing close family, that hapened recently, I can agree. Leaving parents when they are elderly is INCREDIBLY difficult. My mother refuses to get on a plane and that leaves me wondering how she is and worrying about her health and wellbeing all the time since my dad passed. I always make sure that I have cash in the bank JUST in case something happens and I have to return quickly.

I totally agree with opportunities being the reason I am in the country I am in. When you find a place to live, make it a home, when you have a permanent place you feel part of, when you have created a circle of friends and have developed a world that many people could only dream of at home, you realise that the hard times were worth it.

One thing that really IRKS me. When you return home is the sly comments from some people about being "a big shot"... I have not changed, I am still the same person.. however, I have worked my ass off to get where I am. I am not looking for affirmation from anyone, but petty jealousy irks the hell out of me.. so I ignore those people and just concentrate on GOOD friends and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,069 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The two things for me have been:

1. Making friends with the locals. Thankfully, my GF, who I met here, is local and through her I've met some more locals. When I came here, I refused to live with non-Spaniards in an attempt to integrate better. Of the six Spaniards I've lived with, there's only one I'd consider a friend and have kept in touch with.

I wouldn't rule out hanging in expat circles, especially if you don't speak the local language. Definitely, don't rely on it because you'll never settle in but it is helpful to hang out with people who are going through the same things as you are and you will meet some who have been here longer or know Spaniards and it is a handy way to network in a new place.

2. Friends and family, though both are scattered around the world so I've got used to that over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Actually one of the big dangers is that people do the opposite and live in what I call the expat bubble... and two or three years later when it comes to leaving, they know nothing of the language, have no local friends etc....
    Happens a lot in Switzerland as many expats tend to stay only two or three years and not bother. Even those who stay long term can find themselves in the bubble; I once met a couple who'd been here for over ten years, still had only 'menu' German (never mind Swiss) and looked at me blankly when I mentioned I'd been to a Metzgete the week before.

So the biggest challenge is integration; culture (shock), language, making friends and so on. Those things that differentiate someone who's just visiting and someone who fits in - they know what's the story, can confidently negotiate any situation, knows what to expect from others and can predict how they will behave or think and can communicate freely.

So from my experience (over six years in Switzerland) I would recommend the following to help in this:
    Limit your contact with other expats. Other expats are easy to get to know and befriend, but you can quickly find yourself trapped in the expat bubble if they are your only social outlet and as I said, most only stay a few years, so if you're in for the long haul, you'll find yourself waving goodbye to a lot of people. Instead try to socialize with locals - a very difficult nut to crack, but once cracked it expands rapidly as you'll branch out through one to their friends, the friends of their friends and so on.

The other advantage of befriending locals is that you learn the 'tricks' of negotiating life in any country; getting things cheaper, your rights as a consumer or tenant, places to go and so on. If you are stuck in the expat bubble, you will never learn any of these.

As a caveat, having a trailing spouse or partner can present an obstacle to this. It's all too easy not to bother making new friends because you're ultimately not alone. You need to overcome this. Also, I only suggest limiting with contact expats, not avoiding them altogether.

Seek the cultural commonalities and use that as a starting point. While you'll get an element of culture shock everywhere, there's always going to be parts of the culture you can identify with. For example, the Swiss are historically an agrarian people and to this day many, even in the cities, are essentially one or two generations away from some farming village with a tiny population, where naturally if you can't say something good about someone, you'll say nothing, you'll always be polite and where deals are inevitably done over a few beers, leading to a strong passive aggressive mindset.

Sound familiar? Yup, your average Irishman. Where it begins to differ, is that they'll be far more organized, punctual and methodical. So once you've got into your head the simple generalization that a Swiss is like an Irishman with Asperger Syndrome, it makes it a lot easier to relate to them.

Learn the language. Should be obvious, but it's very easy in many countries to get by on English and before you know it you'll have been living there and still only have enough to order a meal at a restaurant. Here, as has been said, language is a complex thing. Other than having four official languages - German, French, Italian and Rumantsch (the Swiss equivalent of Irish) - dialects play a big part (most Swiss Germans can't even understand some of the more extreme dialects, such as Walisdeutsch).

Again, socializing with locals goes a long way in this regard (chatting up the opposite sex is an excellent way to focus the mind). The approach I took was in stages; starting with High (standard) German, then slowly replacing German words with Swiss ones and finally adopting the grammar (or lack thereof). Different countries will present different challenges where it comes to language though.

Other countries have seasons. Oddly, this is something you can easily overlook, but Ireland has a pretty mild (bordering to boring) climate which rarely goes too far beyond zero and 20 degrees. This is not the case in many other places where here, even in the Voralpen can easily go from over 30 degrees in the Summer to under minus 15 in the winter. What this means is you need to take a little more care, especially if there's a snap weather change; I had a nasty cold or flu every year for the first three I was here, until I got used to this.
    Anyhow, I hope this helps.

Excellent post! That has been exactly my experience here in Der Schweiz also. The best thing you can do is get out & meet the locals & socialize with them.

Yesterday was a bittersweet day for me as I finally landed a job back home in Ireland. After almost 6 years I will be back living with my wife & kids again. (It wasn't that bad as I was commuting & getting home 3 weekends a month.) However, delighted as I am to be going back to the bosom of my family, I will really miss the many, many Swiss friends that I have here. Once you crack their hard social shell & get accepted, you are in for life. A bit like the Mafia really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Once you crack their hard social shell & get accepted, you are in for life. A bit like the Mafia really.
    I found the same thing, but was reminded by someone who lived in Ireland, but not Irish, that we're much the same. Outside of pubs, we're also fairly clannish, keeping company with those we grew up with, went to school with and so on and are, beyond superficial pub meetings, fairly standoff-ish. As I said, spotting the similarities helps a lot.

Had you not considered bringing the family over?

I did consider bringing the family over, but my lads are very, very happy in their school back home & really excelling. I would not have wanted to interfere with that at all. Also, they would have needed to go to an International school, & they don't come cheap!

Great as it is here I also planned on going home eventually.

Advertisement