Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 month in Australia - advice please?

Options
  • 26-01-2015 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Thinking of going to Oz for ~1 month around December time. Havent even started to look at an itinerary yet. Was thinking of flying to Melbourne and flying out of Cairns. Any advice from people who have done such a trip?? What to see/do etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

December will be hot. You will need quite a few days to climatise and adjust to the time difference, so maybe don't plan anything too hectic for first day or two
    Slipshaney wrote: »
    Thinking of going to Oz for ~1 month around December time. Havent even started to look at an itinerary yet. Was thinking of flying to Melbourne and flying out of Cairns. Any advice from people who have done such a trip?? What to see/do etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

jamesdiver wrote: »
    December will be hot. You will need quite a few days to climatise and adjust to the time difference, so maybe don't plan anything too hectic for first day or two

Thanks for that - ya, I thought the weather might be restrictive alright, but its really the only time of year that suits us...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Starting in Melbourne is a good idea. Great city to get feet, spend a few days. Maybe do a car or van hire between there and Sydney, take in Canberra or go via the coast, both good. Sydney to cairns is a good distance so maybe consider a plane trip for part of it which would save time on the for the sights like the barrier reef.
    I drove the same trip in reverse but in april when it was cooler and the long driving days aren't worth it when you're limited for time.

Thanks for that catbear, appreciate the help

I was thinking of driving alright, but would take a flight too so as not to be spending too much time in the car...

Are there any unmissable sights? We are looking to go to Sydney, Melbourne, Frasier Island, and Whitsundays.....
    catbear wrote: »
    Starting in Melbourne is a good idea. Great city to get feet, spend a few days. Maybe do a car or van hire between there and Sydney, take in Canberra or go via the coast, both good. Sydney to cairns is a good distance so maybe consider a plane trip for part of it which would save time on the for the sights like the barrier reef.
    I drove the same trip in reverse but in april when it was cooler and the long driving days aren't worth it when you're limited for time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Yep stick to the east coast, don't bother with Perth,nice place to live but not much there to visit and its ~4 hour flight from the east coast.
    Melbourne's a great city

• Advertisement

Thanks Benny - ya Ive heard Melbourne is a nice spot - 3-4 days enough time there?

Thanks for that catbear, appreciate the help

I was thinking of driving alright, but would take a flight too so as not to be spending too much time in the car...

Are there any unmissable sights? We are looking to go to Sydney, Melbourne, Frasier Island, and Whitsundays.....
    Sydney and Melbourne are great cities, can´t really recommend gold coast, cairns or brisbane but then again leaving Ireland in Decmeber for anywhere tropical is enough.
    Canberra is a day.
    Frasier island is supposed to be excellent, barrier reef etc. I really enjoyed the Steve Irwin croc park on the outskirts of Brisbane but that was back when he was there himself. Not a lot else inbetween except the novelty of long flat distances and giant gumboots and fruit statues. You actually don´t see much of the ocean between Cairns and Brisbane on the coast road. The drive from Sydney to Brisbane via Byron was really good though.
    If I had to choose again I´d pick a driving holiday in compact New Zealand over the long lengths to get anywhere on east coast Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Cairns and that area will be in wet season at that time of year. Humidity would be bad up north. Road closures and other disruptions could also be an issue. Also remember summer holidays in the south will begin from mid Dec for a lot of people so factor that in. It depends on what type of things you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Just keep in mind December/January are school holidays, so a lot of campsites and accommodation along the way might be pretty booked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Yep 3-4 days would be enough for Melbourne I think, then on the way the Sydney it's worth going to Canberra for 1 day but not much more, then do Sydney for 4-5 days,

That leaves a bit of time to go up the coast to check out Frasier Island, the reef and then a bit of time bumming on the beach if that's your bag.

Brisbane might be worth a day or 2 but stay the hell away form Surfer's Paradise unless you want to be surrounded by Brit/Irish backpackers and every other type of tourist

• Advertisement

Thanks for that so far guys - I guess if its school hols, we need to start book accommodation asap (even tho we cant book flights yet!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

Thanks for that so far guys - I guess if its school hols, we need to start book accommodation asap (even tho we cant book flights yet!)

On your way out of sydney I'd recommend checking out Nelsons Bay/Port Stephens, some lovely beaches around there - about 3.5 hours north of sydney; its north of Newcastle City.

While your in Sydney you could check out Palm Beach (set of home and away), its about 1.5hours north of the city, its actually a bit out of your way heading north but its a nice area. Plenty of things to see in Sydney, you`ll have to get on one of the boats in the harbour!

The view from the lighthouse at Byron Bay south of brisbane is pretty nice.

There is plenty of spectacular places on the east coast north of brisbane too, but as one poster said, they are a fair bit off the main highway.

While your in melbourne, you could check out Phillip Island, aka penguin island - a lot of penguins come in from the sea after fishing and you can get very close to them on a public boardwalk. There is also the great ocean road west of the city but that might take too much time for you.

thats brilliant thanks for that

We are now thinking of going from mid-December to mid-January, would that be any better with school hols etc?

thats brilliant thanks for that

We are now thinking of going from mid-December to mid-January, would that be any better with school hols etc?
    Actually no, it's worse. NSW and Vic holidays start around 16,17 I think. If you to move it start in nov instead. I went to nz in November for the very same reason. Campsites and hotels get booked out and everywhere get really crowed. December into January is their Irish July into august.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Itoa

Yep 3-4 days would be enough for Melbourne I think, then on the way the Sydney it's worth going to Canberra for 1 day but not much more, then do Sydney for 4-5 days,

That leaves a bit of time to go up the coast to check out Frasier Island, the reef and then a bit of time bumming on the beach if that's your bag.

Brisbane might be worth a day or 2 but stay the hell away form Surfer's Paradise unless you want to be surrounded by Brit/Irish backpackers and every other type of tourist

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Surfers Paradise, the reason there is loads of tourists is that it is build around tourism and you will be a tourist while in Oz! Surfers itself is fairly tacky but there are some very nice places each side of it like Broadbeach, Burleigh Heads or a trip to South Stradbroke Island. It all depends on what you are into.

Thanks again to all....looks like we are going to have to go with mid-December, which I see some people are against because of how busy it will be...

Depends on your interests but there are some lovely little places along the coast especially if you have your own transport. Between sydney and melbourne 7 mile beach is a lovely quiet beach for a stroll and Kiama is a lovely small place to stop for a coffee and a walk. Lakes Entrance is a nice spot to go out on a boat and do some light fishing. Below Brisbane is a place called Yamba where we went kayaking and had a picnic out on an island with the owner and guide. Also possibility to do horse riding on a beach and parasailing along that coast, cannot remember where.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Casualcontrol1

Hey sorry to highjack the thread, OP I see you are planning on travelling in Dec/Jan.. I am looking in to travelling to Melbourne/Sydney for a few weeks in May/June. can anyone advise me would this be a good time to travel weather wise etc? I know its their winter but surely cant be as bad as an irish winter lol!

The weather will be similar to Ireland. Dark around 6pm. But Melbourne is a lovely laid back city and plenty of afl games and other sports to attend at that time. The Great Ocean Rd and out to the Grampians would still be a good trip. But weather wise you would have to be going north of Brisbane I would say.

You can really get cold blasts from antartica, even lots of snow in higher NSW. June/July is diffo more Queensland for actual t-shirt warmth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Even south queensland in june/july gets frickin cold at night. Just be aware that it can drop to about 3°C at night, houses are wooden with metal deck roofs, little if any insulation, no radiators, no double glazed windows. You feel every degree! Youll be fine in a hotel but if theres any camping or worn down hostels etc you will freeze so pack warm for an aussie winter. It does get cold.

Advertisement