Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Port Forwarding with UPC

• 04-08-2015 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

If someone could give me a little help.

http://i.gyazo.com/67d9962ff03eb985608d90fe3c1ddde5.png

What do I put for Public, Target, and Target range if I want to open these ports.

Port 88 (UDP)
    Port 3074 (UDP & TCP)
    Port 53 (UDP & TCP)
    Port 80 (TCP)
    Port 500 (UDP)
    Port 3544 (UDP)
    Port 4500 (UDP)

Any help, UPC is being useless again and told me to open them myself.

EDIT: So I think I did it right, I put 88-88 -IP- 88-88 and when I go to see if they are open it says they are not. I have no idea. I read on here that you cant see if they are open you need to be on a second network or something, is that true?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

searbhonta wrote: »

What do I put for Public, Target, and Target range if I want to open these ports.

Port 88 (UDP)
    Port 3074 (UDP & TCP)
    Port 53 (UDP & TCP)
    Port 80 (TCP)
    Port 500 (UDP)
    Port 3544 (UDP)
    Port 4500 (UDP)

EDIT: So I think I did it right, I put 88-88 -IP- 88-88 and when I go to see if they are open it says they are not. I have no idea. I read on here that you cant see if they are open you need to be on a second network or something, is that true?

Which router do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

The port will only appear open on a test if they are in fact open on the machine. To test telnet on the local machine to the port to confirm its open.

Then confirm you are using the right ip in the rules. Everything else is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭searbhonta

ondafly wrote: »
    The port will only appear open on a test if they are in fact open on the machine. To test telnet on the local machine to the port to confirm its open.

Then confirm you are using the right ip in the rules. Everything else is ok

I really have no Idea what you just said lol.

Which router do you have?

I have no Idea but got it like a year ago with UPC 200mbps. I think it is technicolor router

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I have no Idea but got it like a year ago with UPC 200mbps. I think it is technicolor router

Go to the UPC website, they have a list of their routers.

Once you know the router, go here: http://portforward.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭Nollog

I really have no Idea what you just said lol.

She said to use telnet to connect to the pc you're trying to connect to.

syntax i think is something like "open 127.0.0.1"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Port 88 (UDP)
    Port 3074 (UDP & TCP)
    Port 53 (UDP & TCP)
    Port 80 (TCP)
    Port 500 (UDP)
    Port 3544 (UDP)
    Port 4500 (UDP)

It's relatively easy done on mine

192.168.0.1 to get into your router admin panel
    Passwords are default admin/admin

Go to Advanced -> Forwarding

Public Port range, insert the ports. EG 88-88
    Target Ip address, the device you want to open the port on. EG 192.168.0.2
    **Note that ideally you might want to create a static Ip on the device. So make your PC say .2, a laptop .3 etc. etc. Do you know how to do this?

Target port range, do the same as public port range.

Protocol, put whichever you need, I normally select both.

Right now I'm on RDP from work, which was done via port forwarding on my UPc router. I find it incredibly easy, and with the steps above never have hassle.

The target IP might be a problem if you don't know that stuff. To find your PC's IP, open cmd line and type ipconfig and you will see it there under like ipv4

you can setup a static IP on your pc very easily.

The target IP is important, as you will have multiple IP's no doubt in your network. So you need to tell which device you want the port forwarded for.

In regards checking if the port is open, I've never had a problem with verifying. Make sure you are putting in your public up address, and not your local one, otherwise the websites etc wont actually check it properly.

TheDoc wrote: »
    It's relatively easy done on mine

192.168.0.1 to get into your router admin panel
    Passwords are default admin/admin

Go to Advanced -> Forwarding

Public Port range, insert the ports. EG 88-88
    Target Ip address, the device you want to open the port on. EG 192.168.0.2
    **Note that ideally you might want to create a static Ip on the device. So make your PC say .2, a laptop .3 etc. etc. Do you know how to do this?

Target port range, do the same as public port range.

Protocol, put whichever you need, I normally select both.

Right now I'm on RDP from work, which was done via port forwarding on my UPc router. I find it incredibly easy, and with the steps above never have hassle.

The target IP might be a problem if you don't know that stuff. To find your PC's IP, open cmd line and type ipconfig and you will see it there under like ipv4

you can setup a static IP on your pc very easily.

The target IP is important, as you will have multiple IP's no doubt in your network. So you need to tell which device you want the port forwarded for.

In regards checking if the port is open, I've never had a problem with verifying. Make sure you are putting in your public up address, and not your local one, otherwise the websites etc wont actually check it properly.

I understood most of that. I have my IPv4. This part
    *Note that ideally you might want to create a static Ip on the device. So make your PC say .2, a laptop .3 etc. etc. Do you know how to do this?

And this part.

In regards checking if the port is open, I've never had a problem with verifying. Make sure you are putting in your public up address, and not your local one, otherwise the websites etc wont actually check it properly

I have no Idea what you said. I know what a static IP is but I dont know what you said after that lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I understood most of that. I have my IPv4. This part
    *Note that ideally you might want to create a static Ip on the device. So make your PC say .2, a laptop .3 etc. etc. Do you know how to do this?

And this part.

In regards checking if the port is open, I've never had a problem with verifying. Make sure you are putting in your public up address, and not your local one, otherwise the websites etc wont actually check it properly

I have no Idea what you said. I know what a static IP is but I dont know what you said after that lol.

http://whatismyipaddress.com/

go to that and you find your public IP address. Basically its the IP your router is on the web. The 192.168.0.X is your internal ip on your network. Everyone has that, but your public IP is unique.

So to test ports are open, some sites ask for your public ip, which if you are putting in 192.168.0.X, will show as closed or throw an error. Some port checker sites don't need an IP to test, but some do, just figured I'd mentioned.

Making a static IP can be important when you want to open ports. By standard your router will push out DHCP. This automatically assigns IP addresses to devices. So say a friend comes into the house and connects their iPhone, it will automatically throw it the next available address. That IP will stay assigned for a while, until it gets flushed and released back for general use.

But what the means if say you setup a port forward on your laptop, which uses DHCP. You might go away on holiday, or connect your laptop to another network, or whatever, and come home and get assigned a different IP address, then the one you had before.

Have a google for "How to setup a Static IP address". It's very simple and straight forward. And what it means is that device will have the same IP all the time, which is important.

Just take note of your ISP provides DNS servers, as you will need to enter those manually as well. You can find them with a quick google or ring up the ISP. Think you said UPC, so they are easily available online.

Advertisement