Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long for cement channels to dry out before laying wood floor?

Options
  • 04-08-2015 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have replaced underground piping in my house, dug up new channels and covered the new pipes back with cement. I want to lay a wooden floor (engineered wood) on top but am not sure about the remaining moisture in the cement and how long it will take to dry out. Would three weeks be sufficient?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

depends on thickness of the new concrete, how wet it was when it went in and the amount of ventilation.
    I think 3 is too short, more like 6
    You will also I presume be putting in good quality plastic sheeting, 1200 gauge, overlapped by 300 at joints and taped

re the ventilation, if you can even circulate cold air along it with a fan, it will dry out much faster.
    One test is to put a bit of plastic over it and heat it lightly from above, if u get condensation under the plastic still wet.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Safehands

Sconsey wrote: »
    Hi,

I have replaced underground piping in my house, dug up new channels and covered the new pipesarrow-10x10.png back with cement. I want to lay a wooden floor (engineered wood) on top but am not sure about the remaining moisture in the cement and how long it will take to dry out. Would three weeks be sufficient?
    Sconsey, This depends on a few factors, as stated. How deep is the concrete you placed? I suspect you didn't add any sort of polymer, which would help to reduce the water you require. I did a test using SBR Polymer and after three days the concrete had less than 5% moisture. If in doubt and if you need to get on to it quickly, apply an epoxy resin DPM over the repaired area, (give it about 5 days or so before applying the epoxy). That will enable you to place the wood the following day.

Advertisement