Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Broadband without a phone line

Options
  • 02-08-2015 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi ,
    I am seeking your experience and advise on switching from Eircom broadband and telephone to a wireless broadband without a telephone line

In a household of 5 active wifi users ,watching movies on line and the internet speed to work from home .

Currently our Eircom package is speed up to 100mps

Today's speed test results

Living in Galway /Oranmore

Ping 306
    Download 2.14mbps
    Upload speed 13.44 mbps

Repeated test got

Pms 21
    Download speed 44.38 mbps
    Upload 16.11 mbps

I am not technical but fed up with poor wifi performance as it keeps dropping .
    The wifi is basically non existant when trying to access it upstairs

Please if you have any recommendations for Home broadbannd only packages without using the Eircom phone line, I would be very grateful for your thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

i was just on to eircom on line chat service to see if could get the service using my phone line ,told line unsuitable,(rural area) im with permanet, my speeds on a good day are 2/3mb. 1.7 avg speed.
    i can only dream of the speeds you are getting now with eircom.
    as for the bad wifi upstairs some one here will advice how you can boost the signal with a another device.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 padraig04

Hi ,
    Thank you for your reply , I find our Eircom broadband so unreliable and If i do switch i want it to be telephone line free broadband . Indeed if anyone can recommend a decent wifi booster to avail of to boost the signal in the upstairs of a two storey house .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

If you've got the Eircom eFibre product, you would be mad to consider switching to a wireless (non telephone line) broadband package. You certainly wont get the speeds that you need to keep 5 active users happy and it won't solve the issue I suspect you are having.

Are you living in a semi-detached or terraced house or apartment? If you are it is likely your neighbours are using the same wi-fi channel you are and this will cause interference and affect performance. If you can log into your wireless router/modem and change the channel to either 1, 6 or 11 and see if that improve things downstairs.

As for upstairs, it's likely there is something that is causing the signal to be weakened going between the floors (concrete or foil backed slab). A cheap solution to this would be to place a wireless repeater like this one upstairs. There are some on here who say that these will reduce the overall speed of your wireless LAN, but if each device is only ever connecting out to the internet and not with each other, then I don't see the harm as the speed should still be faster than your internet connection.

Hi ,

Thanks for the advice as it much appreciated.
    I live in a semi- detached house , the real issue is the speed and performance up stairs as my daughter plays mindcraft and the watches movies so they are always complaining of the wifi dropping .

I will definitely check if i can manually change the router/modem channel . My wife recently rang Eircom and they changed the channel but over time the performance drops again and again . I will also do homework on the wireless repeater.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Check which unit you have, if its the F1000 get them to send you an F2000, its a far superior unit.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Check which unit you have, if its the F1000 get them to send you an F2000, its a far superior unit.

Thank you I will check it with Eircom in the morning as my Internet is going through my telephone line hence the poor performance when they say up to 100 mps they should say up to 50mps.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It would seem as if your issue is the wifi performance in the house and even if you change provider you are still going to have to solve this problem.

To establish the quality of the signal you have coming into the house can you tell us what speed you get over a wired connection?

Secondly where do you have the router located? Is it out in the open or by any chance in a confined space?

You have to remember too that several people using wifi at the same time for heavy use is going to reduce speeds significantly (if that is happening)

Are there any other wireless devices in the house which might be interferring?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Download and install InSSIDer it will show you all the wireless points within range the channel they are operating on and their relative strength.

If there are several operating on the same channel they will interfere with each other.

Also remember that signal strength does not equate to quality. If you had three radio stations broadcasting on the same frequency you would have a very strong signal but would only hear a lot of noise.

Hi FSL,

Thank you for insssider tip , I am the only one on channel 4 in my line as the majority are using Sky and Vodafone
    The readings show for MyWifi are

RSSI 37 compared to Vodafone / Sky of 88 RSSI
    Max Rate 144 for the majority

When i plug directly via cable to the modem I get the following within a the speed test

Ping 27
    Download 79.79
    Upload 16.31mbps

My E-fibre modem is the F1000 so I will get that upgraded to the F2000 if I decide to stay with Eircom

Hi again

So we have 5 heavy users in the house each with a laptop and mobile phone and a android box for gaming .

I may be dreaming to think i can get decent wifi all around the house but even when two are using the wifi for movies and mind craft the performance is poor . After doing the ethernet direct test it shows the capacity is there but it is definitely not consistent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

padraig04 wrote: »
    Hi again

So we have 5 heavy users in the house each with a laptop and mobile phone and a android box for gaming .

I may be dreaming to think i can get decent wifi all around the house but even when two are using the wifi for movies and mind craft the performance is poor . After doing the ethernet direct test it shows the capacity is there but it is definitely not consistent.

Stop using wifi for everything, cable everything static and get a better wifi router for those devices that need mobility. The Eircom f2000 is dual band, has two radios and does newer wifi standards so will perform better, connect newer devices to 5ghz and old devices to 2.4ghz so there is no slowdowns

The router box is situated inside the front door in a open corridor. The telephone is three feet away from the router box.
    I tried moving the router box upstairs and the performance of the router wifi was alot worse .

The router box is situated inside the front door in a open corridor. The telephone is three feet away from the router box.
    I tried moving the router box upstairs and the performance of the router wifi was alot worse .

Your problem is the f1000, it only uses 2.4ghz and will be slowed down by older devices. Ask Eircom for an f2000.

On eFibre the modem must be plugged into the master socket

Hi Mass _ debater

Brilliant i will give them a call today if they are open as it is a bank holiday and get them to post out the F2000
    I will get a wifi extender for upstairs and plug in the static android box to allow the kids operate with comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

A Wi-Fi extender or repeater will be hampered by having to transmit in both directions. The solution I've used is a pair of home plugs and a second WiFi router plugged into one of those to cover the upstairs

Hi Mass _ debater

Brilliant i will give them a call today if they are open as it is a bank holiday and get them to post out the F2000
    I will get a wifi extender for upstairs and plug in the static android box to allow the kids operate with comfort.

Careful about what you buy, you could half the wireless speed of your network by adding the wrong device. See wireless is a shared frequency, a wireless router radio will only talk to one device at a time, in one direction at a time. While talking to one device it's not talking or listening to any other. By adding a device like a wireless repeater/extender on the same frequency that it talks to and receives from your main wifi continuously you half the speed of your network. Better to run a cable or use homeplugs to a wireless access point on another channel (different frequency) to give full speeds upstairs. You can also get homeplugs with built in wifi.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WPA4220KIT-Powerline-Configuration-Smartphone/dp/B00DHB2T44/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1438608342&sr=8-3&keywords=homeplugs+wifi

Thank you to all for your expert advice and knowledge I have ordered the F2000 Router from Eircom and hopefully it resolve the wifi performance for the house . I will get a wifi EX6200 wifi extender if the performance is still poor from the second floor and plug in directly to the extender for the static android box.

Thank you to all for your expert advice and knowledge I have ordered the F2000 Router from Eircom and hopefully it resolve the wifi performance for the house . I will get a wifi EX6200 wifi extender if the performance is still poor from the second floor and plug in directly to the extender for the static android box.

That is exactly the type of device I told you not to get, it shares your existing frequency therefore halves the speed of your wifi

I won't get the extender i will get the home pug in wifi device as you recommended ,but i won't purchase it unless i have the new F2000 modem to see if it is still necessary .thank you again .

Advertisement