Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Issues

Options
  • 31-07-2015 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi all,

I live in an estate 20 mins from Tralee and currently using eircom broadband. Now I'm aware that we are sharing a line with several houses and as such the speed isn't great. That being said we struggle to reach 1mb most days. We are paying €35 a month and seems like in this day and age we should be able to have access to reasonable internet speed. I have heard of a local provider promising 12 mbs and they will test before confirming. Is there any way to break a contract without paying the fee? Like if I keep complaining to them are they likely to do anything. Sorry, rant over

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

With Eircom? Nope as its all "up to" speeds plus they have no obligation to provide you with a super fast broadband service I'm afraid. Only way out is if the service us really really unusable

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Gerard93

Hi all,

I live in an estate 20 mins from Tralee and currently using eircom broadband. Now I'm aware that we are sharing a line with several houses and as such the speed isn't great. That being said we struggle to reach 1mb most days. We are paying €35 a month and seems like in this day and age we should be able to have access to reasonable internet speed. I have heard of a local provider promising 12 mbs and they will test before confirming. Is there any way to break a contract without paying the fee? Like if I keep complaining to them are they likely to do anything. Sorry, rant over

Have you checked whats left in your contract, you could contact one of the Eircom reps on boards don't know if that will help though. Have you checked if fiber is in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tommyhayes1989

The service is very very unusable, like I need the web for work, and I have a young one who watches, or tries to, watch TV. If I berate them on the phone will they not do something? I'm sure all that is required is a new line to be put in

• Registered Users Posts: 20,496 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The service is very very unusable, like I need the web for work, and I have a young one who watches, or tries to, watch TV. If I berate them on the phone will they not do something? I'm sure all that is required is a new line to be put in

Check with your nearby neighbours to see if they are having the same problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tommyhayes1989

Check with your nearby neighbours to see if they are having the same problems.

Neighbours have confirmed the same problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

Yup I've had the "paying 20 or more quid a month for unstable 1-2 meg DL, While my sis has 21mb DL for the same money

Last eircom agreed with me when i said I'm going back to my dongle and 10mb download speed for 15€ a month

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hi all,

I live in an estate 20 mins from Tralee
    Neighbours have confirmed the same problem

20 mins = 0.33Hrs. Assume 50kph in the car, thats about 16km. In broadband terms you may as well live in the back arse of Donegal.

Your exchange will be a smaller one nearby. If you're all having problems then its likely one of two things:
    A. The exchange is 5km or more from you, see above
    B. Its a small radio exchange that just downright sucks

If A, you need to look at FWA(See the stickys). If B, you'll eventually be upgraded.

Advertisement