Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a self build

Options
  • 31-07-2015 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi All!
    We just got planning permission for a 1.5 storey house. We are planning on building by direct labour now that the regs have been changed. I'm just looking for some advice on how to proceed. Should we get a quantity surveyor?
    Just any advice or recommendations would be very welcome!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

Hi mjj,

I would definitely get a quantity surveyor on board to do up a pricing document which will help you get prices for works. This will also will give you a good idea of cost to build and a figure to go to the bank with for mortgage approval.

Also I would say 1st get a Provisional BER done up. That way you can see exactly how much insulation you need in walls, roof, floors etc, in order to meet the BER that you need to achieve. What type Windows/doors, will they need to be double glazed or triple. What type renewable energies will be required, i.e solar panel's, PV solar panels, wood burning stoves and what size stove is required. This will then help the QS price for the correct materials in his pricing docs giving you a more accurate price.

Also see and discuss with both BER assessor and possibly a heating designer what type of heating you want to go with, UFH, Radiators, oil boiler, air source heat pump, geothermal etc. These will all effect the BER and the price so best to get it nailed down as to what you want to use or maybe what you will need to use, see if it will meet BER target and then if it does great, get the QS to add it all into pricing.

Build methods, there are many types. Do you want Block Built, ICF, SIPs, Closed Panel timber frame, you should look at each method and see the benefits and pros and cons and this might help your decision. This will also determine the U-values that can be achieved with each method, which again will be used for the Provisional BER

Also decide on what Airtightness levels you want or need to achieve with the BER assessor in order to meet the Provisional BER requirements. Then make sure you address how your going to get this airtightness achieved. This could even effect/decide the method of build that you go with, which again will affect the price.

So if it was me, go meet with a BER Assessor 1st, get all the details narrowed down in order to achieve the BER, decide on what build method you will use, and then go get a QS on board to price it all up for you and do tenders for contractors to price.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

mjj wrote: »
    Hi All!
    We just got planning permission for a 1.5 storey house. We are planning on building by direct labour now that the regs have been changed. I'm just looking for some advice on how to proceed. Should we get a quantity surveyor?
    Just any advice or recommendations would be very welcome!
    Thanks!
    http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentHousing/BuildingStandards/News/MainBody,42399,en.htm

Its not quite as simple as that because if you read the small print it says
    An owner, which includes self-builders, of such projects will be given the choice to opt out of statutory certification and may instead demonstrate by alternative means that they have met their general obligation to build in accordance with the minimum requirements of the building regulations.

You first need to figure out what the underlined bit means.
    You also need to figure out, if borrowing, what the bank needs.
    I get the sense that some banks will insist on statutory certification to protect their investment.
    [This would be a good thing as it will drive a two tier market, houses with statutory certification, and those without and it will be far more effective than the discredited BER cert process.]

You are then in a position to decide what type of professional advice, if any, you need.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

mjj wrote: »
    We are planning on building by direct labour now that the regs have been changed.
    !
    Nothing has changed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mjj

Thanks so much for the advice everyone!veru much appreciated!!
    Has anyone got recommendations for self build insurance? I did a search but most threads are old and recommendations are by pm! Again all help appreciated!!

Advertisement