Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Independent leaving cert questions

Options
  • 18-08-2011 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

I did well but didn't get as much as I expected or what I needed for my ideal course and I was planning on taking a gap year anyway so if I do the leaving cert on my own without a school where do I hand in projects such as the geography project, history project, ag science project, etc?

Where do I do the oral?

Where do I take the actual leaving cert exams?

Thank you :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 premdelap11

Hi, I think you need to be in some form of an institution to repeat the leaving cert,there are colleges that offer repeat leaving cert courses around Dublin for example plunketts,ringtec etc. So when you have to hand in your project, the teachers for the respective subjects will submit it for you just like in your previous school. You will also do the orals as a 'student' of the college because I don't think there are private centers for the oral exams,hope this helps:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

apply as an external candidate

find a school and ask them can you sit the exams in there school without actually attending the school for a year

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You have to get a teacher to sign that your projects are your own work.

I know I personally would not sign a document without being able to truthfully say it was a student's work, so you may have to attend somewhere where standard students are doing their field study or other projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Kelix wrote: »
    I did well but didn't get as much as I expected or what I needed for my ideal course and I was planning on taking a gap year anyway so if I do the leaving cert on my own without a school where do I hand in projects such as the geography project, history project, ag science project, etc?

Where do I do the oral?

Where do I take the actual leaving cert exams?

Thank you :)

You can register as an external candidate through examinations.ie

Normally you would visit your local secondary school (out of courtesy) and ask if you can sit your exams there and the principal will sign off as such. Not all principals like to do this because it means they have to keep track of people they may not know, and have exam centres (and therefore the school) open on days for a subject the school doesn't offer. E.g. if you are the only student doing Japanese for LC, the school will have to be kept open for you.

If you can't find a school willing to accept you, the SEC will allocate one for you. Registering with a school does not mean that you have access to the teachers there or that they will sign off on any of your coursework. It simply means you will be provided with a place to sit your exams.

If you choose to do subjects with orals, coursework etc, you would have to be listed in a school for that subject. With orals I suppose it's straightforward enough as the oral examiner is the one who examines you. With history, geography and ag science it's a different kettle of fish.

As you know for history/geography a teacher has to sign off to say you did the coursework. If you register with a school to sit your exams in, the teachers there are not obliged to sign off on your coursework. If you ask they might, but you will have to provide them with work during the year just like you did in your old school. Some teachers will not want that hassle. So it's up to you to find a history and geography teacher. They may not even be in the same school. Ag Science is even more complicated as the teacher is grading your work, so you have to be registered with a teacher who is willing to sign off on your coursework and grade you. I'm an ag science teacher and I wouldn't sign off on any coursework I didn't see a student produce for me over the two years (or one year in the case of repeats). I can't honestly assess a student who turns up at my door with a completed project from the previous year.

Your best bet is probably to register with your old school and ask your teachers who taught you if they will assess your work.

Advertisement