Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor panels to try & reduce road traffic noise?

Options
  • 04-08-2015 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

hi all,

We are looking at buying a house that is on a busy main road. Location & house itself are good, but the traffic noise is pretty dire.

Are there any wooden panels/fence/anything that we could build out the front that could help reduce the road noise at all?

Something along these lines perhaps?: http://www.acoustiblok.com/industrial2.php

It's the main blocker to us buying the house and I'm really hoping that there's something out there might help!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Just google 'acoustic motorway fencing' and a number of suppliers will come up.
    Landscaping with trees, bushes and hedges will also help.
    You could also consider triple glazing, but the wall vents in the property will still let in noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

gman2k wrote: »
    Just google 'acoustic motorway fencing' and a number of suppliers will come up.
    Landscaping with trees, bushes and hedges will also help.
    You could also consider triple glazing, but the wall vents in the property will still let in noise.

as above plus getting planning for anything above 4 feet at front might be a problem.
    Any high walls around already?

No height issue with shrubs.

The problem with noise is it is so subjective and if it gets into your head at 3 am after a bad curry the quietest noise can do your head in

Soffit vents are another source, especially in bungalows.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭boogaloop

Thanks all. Does anyone know if these types of panels are actually good? there are some trees & a smaller wall out the front.....but I totally agree Calahonda52, sometimes just the smallest noise is enough to break you!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭howman

lived in a house on a busy-ish street in Cork with a bus stop right outside our entrance, we had a a good thick hedge that we kept at about 10ft (nothin to see out that side of hse anyways) and it did a fine job of damping out the noise.
    windows were old double glaze type

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

• Advertisement
Advertisement