Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late?

Options
  • 06-12-2010 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

I haven't studied ever, not for the junior cert and not yet for the leaving cert...Is it to late to start now? I used to get by fine without studying still getting higher scores than other people in my year but when the leaving cert years began I started failing and on my xmas exams I failed a few classes. It's not that I don't try to study, I do, but I just find it so hard to not get distracted or start going on the internet or something instead like 5 minutes ago I tried to start studying geography and I couldn't do it...any suggestions for studying? There's only 6 months left....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Plenty of time. Turn off the laptop, give it to parents, do after school study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

6 months is plenty of time. I was kinda the same. Never really did any study but listened a fair amount of time in class. Got 300 without really trying.

You have 6 months. Even an hour a day will help ya. But if you are lazy like me it will be hard to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Kelix

6 months is plenty of time. I was kinda the same. Never really did any study but listened a fair amount of time in class. Got 300 without really trying.

You have 6 months. Even an hour a day will help ya. But if you are lazy like me it will be hard to do.
    300 is nothing now though, you won't get any good courses with it because of all the mature students and all going into college...what annoys me is I know I could get over 500 if I did the work...I just can't concentrate at all

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Bev

I was the exact same, but I ended up with 485. The biggest help for not getting distracted with me was to get out of the house to study! If you're in the library you've no excuse. I wrote a post with some tips that might help on my blog, it might help... I hope :)clicky

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

Kelix wrote: »
    I haven't studied ever, not for the junior cert and not yet for the leaving cert...Is it to late to start now? I used to get by fine without studying still getting higher scores than other people in my year but when the leaving cert years began I started failing and on my xmas exams I failed a few classes. It's not that I don't try to study, I do, but I just find it so hard to not get distracted or start going on the internet or something instead like 5 minutes ago I tried to start studying geography and I couldn't do it...any suggestions for studying? There's only 6 months left....

Honestly I felt like i was in the nearly exact same situation as you 2 months ago,trying to wonder where im going to pull these 450-500 points out of,Recently however i've gone from C's & D's to A's in everything but french & maths.The only way I found this possible was with after school study, as honestly I do absolutely nothing at home & fear that all my work over last month or two is gone due to the snow & the fact i've had nearly 2 weeks off & it's just started snowing again meaning it's unlikely i'll be back anytime soon.So basically it's not to late now but you're going to need to find a place you're forced to study at & find an incentive to study!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

No it's definitely not too late. My older sister didn't really start studying until after her mock exams in March and got over 400 points in June.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

300 is nothing now though, you won't get any good courses with it because of all the mature students and all going into college...what annoys me is I know I could get over 500 if I did the work...I just can't concentrate at all
    Pffft, see if you can get it before talkin that kinda crap!
    No it's not too late,as someone said above, Turn off the t.v,put down the laptop and do the work,Start with an hour of study along with hour homework and build it up by 10 or 15 minutes a week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Definitely not too late, but you have to really put the work in. Get a safe, lock the laptop in there! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

It's not that I don't try to study, I do, but I just find it so hard to not get distracted or start going on the internet or something instead like 5 minutes ago I tried to start studying geography and I couldn't do it...any suggestions for studying? There's only 6 months left....
    6 months is loads of time.I'm trying to get an entire semester of college work done in the next 3 days.What I do now when I haven't studied for exams is look at the past papers and realise i'm F**ked.This usually gives me the kick up the arse that I need.Or get a can or 2 of red bull and say that you're not going to go to bed untill you have x amount studied.Another good idea is to block the websites that you doss a lot on Facebook,boards etc.Good luck with the study,and rember it's never too late!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Mature students have no effect on the points for courses.

Stop blaming other people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement