Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mary I whinge thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

You won't be saying that when you're buried under a mountain of literature Poxy! :P:D

**begins pitching tent outside library for morning opening**

Ugh! Maybe I shouldn't have applied to skip 3rd year after all! :D

Seriously! Girl in the library, just BLOW YOUR NOSE!!! All the constant snuffling and sniffing is driving me in-f***ing-sane. It's disgusting and everyone is looking at you. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: People in the Tara building can probably hear you. Sick

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭stall_the_ball

Any other first years think the way we're picking our elective is ridiculous?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Any other first years think the way we're picking our elective is ridiculous?

How exactly are you being asked to choose? I presume you're talking about the B.Ed?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭stall_the_ball

dambarude wrote: »
    How exactly are you being asked to choose? I presume you're talking about the B.Ed?

Yes B.Ed. We put 12 subjects in order of preference. A maximum of 60 students per subject so if the demand exceeds 60 students will be chosen randomly by a computer. One of the main points about the new B.ed was that students will be given the opportunity to specialize in an area which appeals to them but it is highly possible that we won't get our choices. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking this but from talking to others it seems Gaeilge, English, History, Maths etc are going to be a lot more popular than philosophy, theology etc and may be more valued by schools when we try to gain employment..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Yes B.Ed. We put 12 subjects in order of preference. A maximum of 60 students per subject so if the demand exceeds 60 students will be chosen randomly by a computer. One of the main points about the new B.ed was that students will be given the opportunity to specialize in an area which appeals to them but it is highly possible that we won't get our choices. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking this but from talking to others it seems Gaeilge, English, History, Maths etc are going to be a lot more popular than philosophy, theology etc and may be more valued by schools when we try to gain employment..

I'd agree to a point. Don't overestimate the importance of the subject you choose. As you might only be doing a few random modules in the Arts subjects their overall effect won't be massive. If you list what you consider to be the most 'useful' subjects in order of priority hopefully you'll get one of them. It would definitely be a pain to end up doing an elective module that you have no interest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Siggie

This may seem a minor point, but I find the situation on most Mary I Moodle sites to be absolutely ridiculous. The titles of some Moodle sites are practically unsearchable and the layout of the files within them can make it impossible to find what you need.

My God, it's mainly Doctorates in Education that are running these things, would it be that difficult to name the Religious Education Moodle 'Religious Education, B.Ed 2, Semester 2' rather than, 'Human Search for Meaning'?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 nmrmcs

why oh why can't people grasp the idea of a library??! Its supposed to be flaming silent! that means NO TALKING, NO NOSE SNIFFING AND NO TEXT MESSAGES GOING OFF!!! >:( >:( It's no wonder I avoid this place, every time I go in there reminds me of how annoying it is in there. They should start fining people who make unreasonable noise instead of fining people for setting off the alarm at the front door..the college would certainly make more money that way! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

Public executions would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

4th year is tough! :(

How are we all doing as we approach week 8?

• Advertisement

4th year is tough! :(

How are we all doing as we approach week 8?

4th year is KILLING me. I haven't even thought about my FYP....eek! Week 8 already? Dear sweet Jeebus!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Totally agree - 4th year is a nightmare! Have to start recruiting participants next week for my fyp - dreading it!

Drop me a pm if you want! I'd be more than happy to help out!

It's gonna be another all nighter for me. Whyyyyy do I do this to myself? I've had days off and yet here I am, 12.30am with 'only' another 1500 words to go... :(:(:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

god i hate the food in the canteen :(

The curry chips ain't bad! :pac:

I hate that sauce! :p

Stupid library only open at stupid 2 o'clock. :-(

Use the canteen where the vending machines are.

Does anyone know if it's possible to do an all night in there? Might be handy during study week.

Prices gone up in canteen - wouldn't mind if the food was any good. Why is it so difficult to get decent food in there??

• Advertisement

Since when is the €3 car park actually €3 on Saturdays?! I got royally caught yesterday.

I see they've replaced the ~30inch LCD TV in the reception with a 75inch Samsung LCD.

Nice to see the college is spending money in the right places! :rolleyes:

I see they've replaced the ~30inch LCD TV in the reception with a 75inch Samsung LCD.

Nice to see the college is spending money in the right places! :rolleyes:

Sure it will go lovely with that lovely seating area they have in there... oh wait........ nothing - total waste of space!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Progshark

Its so that people over in the Mount can read the notices too!!!

Parts of the college are freezing. I had to leave the computer room today it was so cold!

Parts of the college are freezing. I had to leave the computer room today it was so cold!

not much better today either...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It's January. :pac: Invest in hoodies and finger-less gloves. I'm wearing my old class hoodie from 2010 today. :D

Still trying to access exam results. Absolutely ridiculous.

Still trying to access exam results. Absolutely ridiculous.

I know of about 2 people that managed to get their results so far! Been trying now on and off for the last 2 hours - no joy.

Why are we surprised??

• Advertisement

I logged on at 8.57 this morning and got them. It was pure luck though, cos usually I have to wait till 1 or 2.

Hope everyone got sorted. :-)

Advertisement