Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central heating frozen ??????

Options
  • 21-12-2010 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm looking for some advice, just been away for a few days and came home to a cold house and found that the heating wasn't working so we put on solid fires and a few heaters yesterday and in the afternoon a pipe burst in the attic causing a fair bit of damage. That's all fixed now but the heating still doesn't work. The boiler fires up and then cuts off as the pump heats up but water does not pass through. If I turn the bleed screw in the pump then it seems to kick in, the pump runs and you can hear the water gushing through. It then heats the rads close to it for 15 minutes and then the boiler thermostat kicks in and turns off, then if I want to kick it in I have to play with the pump again.
    Could there be a frozen pipe if so how do I find where it is and what can be done about it.
    Could there be a fault with the pump.
    All advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

In this weather it could be anything including a frozen pipe. Is the circulating pump turned up to the max? if the water in the whole system is heating then it should melt whatever is in the pipes. It could be a bit of dirt blocking the pump either,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,850 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

It also could be the condensate pipe if your boiler has one,

This is a Pvc pipe that comes out of your boiler and is brought outside the property.

I have been having trouble with my heating, and this has been the issue.

If it is that, you need to try defrost it, and if possible lag it to try and prevent future issues with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

return pipe is probably frozen

Advertisement