Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking more formula at night

Options
  • 30-09-2010 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

my daughter harlow is just gone 7months and is drinking more formula at night then during the day. of course this means she is also waking up more :(
    she normally has around 18-21oz during the day and another 21-24oz at night. she refuses point blank to drink anymore during the day and will not take water at night(just spits out the bottle and stays crying)

anyone know how i can reverse this? or have the same problem

ps she used to sleep through the night from around 6weeks but since she started teething 5months thats stopped!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Is she hungry?
    Maybe giving her a later dinner would help or more food?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭pixysarah

well she finishes the bottle nearly everytime at night so she must be hungry i think....
    she also has her dinner right before she goes to bed but shes not every good at eating during the day shes too distracted by every thing around her even if the tv is off and its only me in the room with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

What time is she taking her last bottle at? If it is early enough, maybe you could give her a dream feed when you are going to bed so that she doesn't wake with the hunger in the middle of the night.

If it is a routine that she has gotten herself into, you could try reducing the amount of formula she has at night by maybe giving her 5 scoops of formula in 8oz's of water, and reduce the amount she has gradually like this. Maybe in turn she will be hungrier during the day.

Also, what are you giving her for her dinner? Maybe giving her a baby pasta based meal and a mashed banana in the evening might help to keep her fuller for longer as they are slower digested and so she may feel fuller for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

pixysarah wrote: »
    well she finishes the bottle nearly everytime at night so she must be hungry i think....
    she also has her dinner right before she goes to bed but shes not every good at eating during the day shes too distracted by every thing around her even if the tv is off and its only me in the room with her.

I'm not trying to be smart here but she is probably not eating much during the day because she's having so much milk at night!
    Our digestive systems naturally slow down at night. If she's drinking that much at night it takes longer to digest and she won't be hungry during the day.
    it won't be easy but you'll have to try and get her to kick the habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

my son used to drink 2/3 cups at night, just gave him anything to keep him quiet. We called a halt at about 22mths, just told him one night no more milk at night, tears the first night and the second night, but ok after that. The problem is that he learned to wee at night time and we still have not night trained him now and he is nearly 4.
    I'd try to get her sorted sooner rather then later.
    I heard David Coleman tell a bf mom yesterday that she should step back from the latest bottle to the first. You will have some sleepless nights, but the sooner the faster, really your worst case scenario is that you will only have to put up with her crying for 2/3wks, more then likely less. But if you start, you have to continue, no giving in, it is not fair to confuse her.
    HTH good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I have heard of so many babies starting to wake up at this age. It is possibly a habit at this stage now that its going on for 2 months. Like others say her daytime appitite will be decreased until you sort this.

Don't want to scare you but my uncle and his wife have a three year old who still wakes up during the night for bottles if he doesn't get it he will make himself sick.

The good news for you is the younger they are the easier it is to break a habit. When my son was 6 months old he found it hard to sleep through and wanted to be fed practically all night (I BF and was worn out). It took just 2 nights to solve it. It was very tough for those two nights but it was worth it. If your worried about her going hungry then you could drop one bottle at a time.

Best of luck OP. Once this is sorted you will feel like a new woman/man. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭pixysarah

thanks very much everyone, i really do want to get this sorted sooner then later as i dont want to be still getting up with her when shes alot older like mohawks uncle!

@gowayouttadat your not being smart at all thats probably the reason shes not having as much during the day never thought of that!

will try giving her less formula in her bottle as crazy cat lady said and see how that works as i cant see her goin back to sleep not getting anything or getting water as we have already tried this!

thanks so much guys hopefully in a week or two we will all be sleeping soundly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

@gowayouttadat your not being smart at all thats probably the reason shes not having as much during the day never thought of that!

I only know because we've been through it! My son 14 months now was a nightmare for a few months. We did controlled crying for one night when he was around your child's age and the 2nd night he slept straight through. We got lucky in that he didn't get very upset and settled himself within ten minutes but was mostly only whinging.

Saying that he was up at 1am last night the little devil. Teeth have an awful lot to answer for!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

my daughter harlow is just gone 7months and is drinking more formula at night then during the day. of course this means she is also waking up more :(
    she normally has around 18-21oz during the day and another 21-24oz at night. she refuses point blank to drink anymore during the day and will not take water at night(just spits out the bottle and stays crying)

anyone know how i can reverse this? or have the same problem

ps she used to sleep through the night from around 6weeks but since she started teething 5months thats stopped!

reminds me of my lady, but i was breast feeding her, 11 times a night( from 6 months to 18 months) she woke to feed, so i kept her in bed with me but then i got migraines from lack of sleep.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭Chesty LaRue

My son is also drinking less during the day (eating his meals though) and waking for 2 bottles during the night (was only 1). I mentioned this to a lady recently and she said her son did that for a few weeks while his teeth were cutting through, once teeth appeared he went back to sleeping the night. Surprise surprise, my son has just cut his 2 bottom teeth (at 5mths). Just have to wait and see if the night bottles stop. He quite miserable at the mo with a cold too so may not settle just yet...watch this space!

• Advertisement
Advertisement