Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Fluoridation

Options
  • 03-07-2010 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Does anyone know if bottled water available in Ireland contains fluoride? If so, are there any brands which do not contain it?

On the mineral content list of bottled waters, fluoride never seems to be listed. Does that mean it is not present?

A doctor I spoke with said to me that I should try completely avoiding fluoride for 2 weeks and see if I feel more healthy. He advised that fluoride slows our thinking and removing intake of it for a while will result in much better focus.

We all know that fluoride is in tap water in Ireland and I understand that in some of the United States it is also present. However, many countries have banned fluoride from being added.

There is an argument that fluoride is necessary for dental benefits but also, some say that it is detrimental to our teeth.

So the bottom line is that I want to test this for 2 weeks to see what happens.

Please let me know if you have any information on this.

Kind regards,
    Warrior Monk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

A doctor I spoke with said to me that I should try completely avoiding fluoride for 2 weeks and see if I feel more healthy. He advised that fluoride slows our thinking and removing intake of it for a while will result in much better focus.

what did he base this on??

fluoride is added at water treatment plants as it enters the public water scheme, so it's not present in bottled water, unless you still have some of the stuff coca cola were selling a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Does anyone know if bottled water available in Ireland contains fluoride? If so, are there any brands which do not contain it?

On the mineral content list of bottled waters, fluoride never seems to be listed. Does that mean it is not present?

We all know that fluoride is in tap water in Ireland and I understand that in some of the United States it is also present. However, many countries have banned fluoride from being added.

There is an argument that fluoride is necessary for dental benefits but also, some say that it is detrimental to our teeth.

So the bottom line is that I want to test this for 2 weeks to see what happens.

Please let me know if you have any information on this.

Kind regards,
    Warrior Monk

Get a second opinion ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Warrior Monk

Thanks guys,

I don't know what he's basing his advice on.

Can I assume you are both skeptical of his information?

Do you think it would be harmful to avoid fluoride?

The only knowledge I have of fluoride is what my doctor told me so if he's wrong, then I'm wrong. :)

Thanks guys,

I don't know what he's basing his advice on.

Can I assume you are both skeptical of his information?

Wondering if he's actually a doctor to be honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

this was the biggest study into water fluoridation, examining all the papers that were published on the subject, apart from the ones that were promoted by self interest groups.

http://www.york.ac.uk/inst/crd/fluoridnew.htm

you should ask your doctor if he's heard of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Signac

I've seen one bottled water abroad with 10mg/l, 10 times greater than public water limit. Flouride occurs naturally in groundwater sometimes at concentrations much higher than that which is safe, although this is unlikely in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭N8

Signac wrote: »
    I've seen one bottled water abroad with 10mg/l, 10 times greater than public water limit. Flouride occurs naturally in groundwater sometimes at concentrations much higher than that which is safe, although this is unlikely in Ireland

I think you'll find its a different naturally occurring form.

Here is a link that I found this on:
    Fluoride FACTS

• Fluoride Is A Carcinogen
    Fluoride was found to be an equivocal carcinogen by the National Cancer Institute Toxicological Program. Ref. 1
    Further studies by the New Jersey Department of Health have now confirmed a 6.9 fold increase in bone cancer in young males. Ref. 2
    Earlier studies had found a 5% increase in all types of cancers in fluoridated communities. Ref. 3
    • Fluoride Increases Hip Fractures
    Drinking fluoridated water will double the number of hip fractures for both older men and women. Ref. 4&5
    Extremely low levels of water fluoridation 0.1 ppm still produced statistically significant increased hip fractures. (Bordeaux Study JAMA 1994)
    • Fluoride Increases Infertility
    Infertility in women was found to increase with water fluoridation.
    Food and Drug Administration (FDA) scientists reported a close correlation between decreasing total fertility rates in women between ages of 10 and 49, and increasing fluoride levels.
    They also reported that a review of all the animal studies done to date shows that fluoride adversely affects fertility in most animal species. Ref. 6
    • Fluoride Increases Fluorosis
    Opaque white spots and brown ugly teeth caused by fluoride is called Fluorosis.
    Fluorosis currently affects one out of five or more children in this nation although it is rarely seen in California.
    California is the least fluoridated state with less than 16% of the population drinking artificially fluoridated water.
    • Fluoride Does NOT Reduce Tooth Decay
    Fluoride is not effective in reducing tooth decay.
    No correlation was found between the level of fluoride in water and dental caries. Ref. 7,8,9,10&11
    There appears to be a genetically related increase in tooth decay for Hispanics, Indians, Native Americans and Asians.
    Decay is related to the educational and economic level of the parents. Ref. 12,13&14
    • Fluoride Is Unapproved By FDA
    The FDA considers fluoride an unapproved new drug for which there is no proof of safety or effectiveness.
    The FDA does not consider fluoride an essential nutrient.
    • Fluoride Is Highly Toxic
    The International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology has classified Fluoride as an unapproved dental medicament due to its high toxicity.

References
    1. Maurer, et. al., Fluoride an equivocal carcinogen J. National Cancer Institute 82, 1118-26, 1990
    2. Cohn, Perry D. Ph.D. An Epidemiological Report on Drinking Water Fluoridation and Osteosarcoma in Young Males New Jersey Department of Health, Environmental Health Service, Trenton NJ November 8, 1992
    3. Yiamouyiannis, J.A. and Dean Burk, “Fluoridation and Cancer: Age Dependence of Cancer Mortality Related to Artificial Fluoridation,” Fluoride, Vol. 10 #3 (102-123) 1977
    4. Hip Fracture rates related to Fluoridated water Journal of the American Medical Association 264(4):500-502 1990
    5. J. C. Robins and J. L. Ambrus, “Studies on Osteoporosis IX. Effect of Fluoride on Steroid Induced Osteoporosis,” Research Communications in Chemical Pathology and Pharmacology, Volume 37, No. 3, pp. 453-461 (1982)
    6. Freni SC, Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, 42:109-121, 1994
    7. Diesendorf M. Tooth Decay not related to fluoride intake from water Nature Vol. 322 10 July 1986
    8. Colquhoun J. Tooth Decay related to economics of family American Laboratory 17:98-109 1985
    9. Colquhoun J. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology 13:37-41 1985
    10. Dr. John Yiamouyiannis statement both in his book (Fluoride the Aging Factor” pub Health Action Press 2nd ed. 1986 )and during debates has not been challenged by the ADA or others.
    11. Ziegelbecker D. Fluoride 14; 123-128 1981
    12. Steelink and Jones Fluoride in the Municipal Water of Tucson related to diet and ethnic origin International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology March 95
    13. Colquhoun J. Fluoride Vol. 23 #3 July 90
    14. Colquhoun J. Community Health Studies 11:85-90 1987

http://www.sovereignindependent.com/?p=5573

bit conspiracy theory but well referenced re the fluoride.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

• Fluoride Increases Fluorosis
    Opaque white spots and brown ugly teeth caused by fluoride is called Fluorosis.
    Fluorosis currently affects one out of five or more children in this nation although it is rarely seen in California.
    California is the least fluoridated state with less than 16% of the population drinking artificially fluoridated water.
    Yes this is true. That's why in areas of high levels of natural fluoride they artificially lower it to a level that prevents fluorosis but still yields the benefits.
    • Fluoride Is Unapproved By FDA
    The FDA considers fluoride an unapproved new drug for which there is no proof of safety or effectiveness.
    The FDA does not consider fluoride an essential nutrient.
    That's blatant misinformation. The Food and Drug Administration has nothing what so ever to do with municipal water supplies.
    This little "fact" is only put in to sound scary. It has no relevance what so ever.

Also for being well "referenced" neither of these claims are backed up with anything.

And "A bit conspiracy theory" from that crank site is a bit of an understatement.

More (and less crazy) information here: http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4058

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lynnsback

Sorry, but there is a reason pretty much every European country has removed Fluoride form their water supplies. The medical world is so keen to avoid conspiracy theories that they can be blind to real info. There was a time when docs recommended leech treatments etc. What makes everyone think science is infallible all the time?

Fluoride can actually damage people’s teeth and cause fluorosis, as well as doing damage to bone and reducing thyroid function (it used to be used as a treatment for overactive thyroid). Fluoride is actually classified as a poison in Ireland under the Irish Poisons Act 1992.

If fluoride is the issue though; it will take a lot longer than two weeks to get over it.

Rant over....

• Advertisement

lynnsback wrote: »
    Sorry, but there is a reason pretty much every European country has removed Fluoride form their water supplies.

They fluoridate their salt instead.

There's a reason they don't tell you that on the crank websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

... What makes everyone think science is infallible all the time? ...

Read a bit more of the forum.
    None of the regulars thinks science is infallible all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Warrior Monk

Thanks all for this information. It is great to get both sides of the argument.

Much appreciated,
    Warrior Monk

Sorry, but there is a reason pretty much every European country has removed Fluoride form their water supplies. The medical world is so keen to avoid conspiracy theories that they can be blind to real info.

Can we have some real info please? I haven't seen any real information against flouridation of our water supply yet.
    Fluoride can actually damage people’s teeth and cause fluorosis, as well as doing damage to bone and reducing thyroid function (it used to be used as a treatment for overactive thyroid). Fluoride is actually classified as a poison in Ireland under the Irish Poisons Act 1992.

Most (if not all) substances can have harmful side effects if taken in the wrong strength/formulation, at the wrong time or via the wrong method of administration. They are side effects and these can be minimised by giving the lowest effective dose. Unfortunately at the current low dose in our water supply some people will get fluorosis (a purely superficial whitening of the teeth). However this purely superficial side effect doesn't do any permanent damage to the teeth of a tiny percentage of people and therefore is no reason to stop conferring the beneficial effects on the rest of the population.

I would like to see sources for your claims of damaging bone and reducing thyroid function.

Finally, there is no Irish Poisons Act of 1992.

Just to point out, not all European countries fluoridate their salt. Most don't.

Now, I am well aware of the dosage being the poison yes. Even water can be toxic in large enough doses; as can pretty much every substance on the planet. This is not the issue here. The issue comes when tiny amounts cause harm. Ever look at the back of the toothpaste where it says to contact a doc if you swallow more than a blob? That doesn’t sound very safe.

The Act I was referring to should have read 1982. It was a typo.

I have read about the bone damage in various places, but here is one link: http://www.communicationagents.com/chris/2005/08/17/fluoridecancer_study_cover_up.htm

As for the thyroid: fluoride competes with iodine in the body and thus can reduce thyroid function. This effect is not obvious in Ireland though, as a large percentage of hypothyroid patients are not picked up here anyhow due to our alarmingly high TSH range. The Hunt Study showed that a TSH over 1.4 causes heart and other health issues as I outlined in this post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59663812&postcount=29. TSH is not a good measure of thyroid function: http://nahypothyroidism.org/diagnosistreatment/

There is TONS of literature on fluoride and hyperthyrodism out there. It is not even considered remotely controversial as it was the standard treatment for DECREASING thyroid functional and treating hyperthyroidism for years:

http://thyroid.about.com/od/drsrichkarileeshames/a/fluoridechange.htm

http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/18/10/1102 (Read full study here: http://www.slweb.org/galletti.html)

A brief history: http://www.digitalnaturopath.com/treat/T473193.html

Just to point out, not all European countries fluoridate their salt. Most don't.
    Gonna back that up at all?
    The issue comes when tiny amounts cause harm. Ever look at the back of the toothpaste where it says to contact a doc if you swallow more than a blob? That doesn’t sound very safe.
    Can you show a single case of anyone ever dying from eating toothpaste?
    Can you show a single study showing that toothpaste is in anyway dangerous in use?
    The Act I was referring to should have read 1982. It was a typo.
    There isn't a Poisons act of 1982 either.
    There's a POISONS REGULATIONS, 1982.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1982/en/si/0188.html
    Fluoride is not listed as a poison.

In fact it is nowhere in the document.
    I have read about the bone damage in various places, but here is one link: http://www.communicationagents.com/chris/2005/08/17/fluoridecancer_study_cover_up.htm
    I wouldn't take anything on that site seriously considering it has a section called "electromedicine".
    There is TONS of literature on fluoride and hyperthyrodism out there. It is not even considered remotely controversial as it was the standard treatment for DECREASING thyroid functional and treating hyperthyroidism for years:

http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/18/10/1102 (Read full study here: http://www.slweb.org/galletti.html)
    That study refers to medical administration of fluoride in amounts far in excess of what's in the water supply.
    Can you supply a study referring to water fluoridation?
    Another reliable source alright...

Now, I am well aware of the dosage being the poison yes. Even water can be toxic in large enough doses; as can pretty much every substance on the planet. This is not the issue here. The issue comes when tiny amounts cause harm. Ever look at the back of the toothpaste where it says to contact a doc if you swallow more than a blob? That doesn’t sound very safe.

Just need to clarify this part of your post. The rest is nonsense.

I would have thought that was to prevent nausea and stomach upset...

Anyway just going to quote another list of pois.ons

Antibiotics, the following; their salts; their esters; their derivatives; salts of their esters; salts of their derivatives:—
    Bacitracin
    Cephalosporins
    Erythromycin
    Neomycins
    Penicillins
    Spectinomycin
    Spiramycin
    Streptomycins
    Tetracyclines
    Tylosin
    Virginiamycin

That encompasses pretty much all the common antibiotics that are used today. My point? Just because something is listed as a poison in the statutes doesn't mean it is dangerous at safe dosage levels.

Water fluoridation people have been banging the drum for years and guess what, time after time after time their claims have been proven to be absolute horse****.

I am not well at the moment and forgot how this board works. Since I don't have time to cite every source I have ever read, it seems nobody here will even open their closed minds. Fine. You think fluoride is great. I don't. I just don't have the energy to go and look for more info. If you were interested in opening your mind you would, but it seems you are not. So, no point in me trying to convince you.

There has never been a controlled study examine toothpaste ingestion for obvious ethical reasons! We can't set up studies to see if one group will get ill on a treatment. I am just stating facts about the LABEL on toothpaste.

My point was not to suggest that fluoridation of water is THE SAME as ingesting it in tablet form; my point was to show you the evidence that it has been used as a hyperthyroid treatment since it reduced thyroid function. Speak to any older doctor in his/her 60's or above and they will recall using fluoride in this way.

The brief history I cited was meant to be just that. I wasn’t citing it as a scientific source.

Is there any reason why you are being so sarcastic and derisive towards me?

I wish people would open their minds. I have read both sides of many medical and dietary issues and am still undecided, but I don't dismiss others opinions as quackery just because they are not in line with mine. I also do not think placebo controlled, double blind studies provide all the answers to everything. Not the way science is run now.

We don't put antibitoics in the water do we?

I am not well at the moment and forgot how this board works. Since I don't have time to cite every source I have ever read, it seems nobody here will even open their closed minds. Fine. You think fluoride is great. I don't. I just don't have the energy to go and look for more info. If you were interested in opening your mind you would, but it seems you are not. So, no point in me trying to convince you.

There has never been a controlled study examine toothpaste ingestion for obvious ethical reasons! We can't set up studies to see if one group will get ill on a treatment. I am just stating facts about the LABEL on toothpaste.

My point was not to suggest that fluoridation of water is THE SAME as ingesting it in tablet form; my point was to show you the evidence that it has been used as a hyperthyroid treatment since it reduced thyroid function. Speak to any older doctor in his/her 60's or above and they will recall using fluoride in this way.

The brief history I cited was meant to be just that. I wasn’t citing it as a scientific source.

Is there any reason why you are being so sarcastic and derisive towards me?

I wish people would open their minds. I have read both sides of many medical and dietary issues and am still undecided, but I don't dismiss others opinions as quackery just because they are not in line with mine. I also do not think placebo controlled, double blind studies provide all the answers to everything. Not the way science is run now.

The same "open minded" bull**** you get for daring to ask someone to back up their claims... Yay.

Since you are obviously so open minded, can you please outline what evidence/reasoning would convince you that fluoridation is safe?

You have completely and utterly missed my point.

I was merely pointing out that just because something is listed as a poison in the statutes book doesn't mean that it cannot be used at a safe dose for a health benefit (in fluoride's case, preventing cavities).

The evidence is clear to me that the beneficial effects of water fluoridation outweigh the side effects, namely the superficial whitening of a small minority of people's teeth.

By the way, we chlorinate our water to kill bacteria :D.

Chlorine is a poison.

• Advertisement

It is not that you asked for sources. It is your derisive tone, dripping with sarcasm. On other boards, people discuss topics back and forth without sarcasm and aggressive language.

The fact that fluoride displaces iodine is enough for me to think twice about it. Then, couple that with the fact that we get fluoride in our water, in our tea, when we eat out etc. that is a heck of a lot of fluoride.

There is pretty much nothing that would convince me that fluoride is safe in water. We shall agree to disagree.

At least you know you are safe in your views and won't be attacked for not having enough sources to back them up. As I said though, I forgot how this board works; in that unless one has multiple published papers one can instantly produce, forget it. I am not well enough to do so.

I will leave you with the comment that all the thyroidologists I have seen as a patient, whose books I have read or listened to at a recent conference are against fluoridation of water.

bleg wrote: »
    Chlorine is a poison.

I would rather chlorine was not in the water also.

I'm a thyroidologist. I'm also a nutritionist. These are unprotected terms in Ireland that anybody can call themselves. Anybody off the street.

Endocrinologist is the protected title.

(Dietitian is the protected title for those dealing with people's diets by the way)

I would rather chlorine was not in the water also.

I wouldn't, I'd prefer tiny concentrations of chlorine than high concentrations of disease causing organisms to be honest. Anyway that's a different topic for a different thread.

It is not that you asked for sources. It is your derisive tone, dripping with sarcasm. On other boards, people discuss topics back and forth without sarcasm and aggressive language.

The fact that fluoride displaces iodine is enough for me to think twice about it. Then, couple that with the fact that we get fluoride in our water, in our tea, when we eat out etc. that is a heck of a lot of fluoride.

There is pretty much nothing that would convince me that fluoride is safe in water. We shall agree to disagree.
    Then you are by definition, close minded.
    At least you know you are safe in your views and won't be attacked for not having enough sources to back them up. As I said though, I forgot how this board works; in that unless one has multiple published papers one can instantly produce, forget it. I am not well enough to do so.

I will leave you with the comment that all the thyroidologists I have seen as a patient, whose books I have read or listened to at a recent conference are against fluoridation of water.
    Well no, because my view is backed up by good, well reviewed sources.
    It's a science forum, so that's expected.

However, unlike you I am open minded. But open minded doesn't mean instantly buying everything I read.
    I require something to supported by something other than ill informed, deceptive nonsense posted on a site that promotes quackery like "electromedicine."
    Hence why I was asking you for good sources.

But as you've said you've already made up your mind and aren't interested in any discussion that might oppose your worldview...

bleg wrote: »
    I'm a thyroidologist. I'm also a nutritionist. These are unprotected terms in Ireland that anybody can call themselves. Anybody off the street.

Endocrinologist is the protected title.

(Dietitian is the protected title for those dealing with people's diets by the way)

I am not talking about Irish doctors. There are no prominent Irish thyroidologists. I know what a dietitian is also. Patronising much.....

King Mob wrote: »
    Then you are by definition, close minded.

Well no, because my view is backed up by good, well reviewed sources.
    It's a science forum, so that's expected.

However, unlike you I am open minded. But open minded doesn't mean instantly buying everything I read.
    I require something to supported by something other than ill informed, deceptive nonsense posted on a site that promotes quackery like "electromedicine."
    Hence why I was asking you for good sources.

But as you've said you've already made up your mind and aren't interested in any discussion that might oppose your worldview...

I am not close minded, because I read both sides of the fluoride debate before making up my mind. I get the impression that you have not read much from the anti- fluoride side however.

I was proving an alternative view for the OP because I knew everyone else here would be pro fluoride. Turns out I was right.

I am not close minded, because I read both sides of the fluoride debate before making up my mind.

How can you be open minded yet say:
    There is pretty much nothing that would convince me that fluoride is safe in water.
    That's the very definition of being closed minded.
    How do you know that there's no new reasoning or evidence that could convince you?
    I get the impression that you have not read much from the anti- fluoride side however.
    I have.
    It's mostly quackery mixed with paranoid conspiracy theory.
    And without well verified scientific evidence, completely empty waffle.
    I was proving an alternative view for the OP because I knew everyone else here would be pro fluoride. Turns out I was right.
    Didn't you know we're all paid by the Illuminati and Big Pharma...

I am not talking about Irish doctors. There are no prominent Irish thyroidologists. I know what a dietitian is also. Patronising much.....

Any names of these so called thyroidologists?

Only put the dietitian bit at the end in case anybody was curious. Did not mean to be patronising.

• Advertisement

King Mob wrote: »
    How can you be open minded yet say:

That's the very definition of being closed minded.
    How do you know that there's no new reasoning or evidence that could convince you?

I have.
    It's mostly quackery mixed with paranoid conspiracy theory.
    And without well verified scientific evidence, completely empty waffle.

Didn't you know we're all paid by the Illuminati and Big Pharma...

Well then, I guess I was wrong and you HAVE read both sides. However, the fact that you did not know the well established effects of fluoride on the thyroid tells me you did not read enough, since it is one of the main objections to fluoride. I concede your point on the dosage of fluoride in water being heck of lot less than in tablets though.

You mention it as being 'empty waffle', but aren't all theories waffle in the theory stage, before they are empirically studied? Sadly, there ain’t much funding available to show the negative side of fluoride. Plus, again, I am not sure such a study would be allowed for ethical reasons.

Big Pharma certainly has corrupted the medical world yes. Nothing wrong with medicines, but Big Pharma is not about healing people; merely about easing symptoms. Thus we now have generations of doctors who look at each symptom in isolation; a pill for this; a pill for that, instead of looking for root causes, environmental influences, diet etc.

I know you were being sarcastic, but I find it sad that researchers are no longer able to have true scientific freedom. I admire researchers that are constantly sceptical, but most will fall prey to confirmation bias even without Big Pharma. Just human nature.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement