Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Free Car Parking

Options
  • 23-10-2014 9:50am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looks like Cork City Council are offering free car parking at two of their car parks at various times until the 22nd of November. Handy to get some early Christmas shopping in!! :eek:

Details here (warning PDF):
    http://corkcity.ie/media/AUTUMN%202014%20PARKING%20PROMOTION.pdf

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

10:00 till 12:00 monday to thursday
    6:30 till midnight thursday and friday
    a bit limited but better than nothing, last time i went there shopping half the shops were boarded up, sad to see
    went to mahon point, much easier

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

10:00 till 12:00 monday to thursday
    6:30 till midnight thursday and friday
    a bit limited but better than nothing, last time i went there shopping half the shops were boarded up, sad to see
    went to mahon point, much easier

I would assume the reason for the times is to get more people into the city shopping. They probably don't want to give it to people who work in the city, who use the car parks every day and wouldn't be shopping.

BTW really, half the shops boarded up?!! I haven't been down to Cork in over two months, but the last time I was down, I didn't see any boarded up shops (on or just off Patrick St) and the city center was hopping. In particular that new Opera Lane street.

mothercare and the sony store were boarded up and a couple of the discount stores also
    couple of others too but cant remember the exact ones
    english market is still busy as ever

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

Jack and Jones moving to the mothercare premises and superdry moving into old moderne building afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Haha, there's no way 50% of cork city shops were boarded up!

• Advertisement

Might have exaggerated with half but a lot were closed down and it looked depressing
    Hillbillys are gone too I was told

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Might have exaggerated with half but a lot were closed down and it looked depressing
    Hillbillys are gone too I was told

Half our shops are boarded up and now Hillbillys are gone :eek:
    I must be living in a ghost town.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭walsh08

Hillbillies is not gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭jharr100

walsh08 wrote: »
    Hillbillies is not gone.

Tanksbeetogod....

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭millie12345

Lots open there yesterday

• Advertisement

Sorry lads that's the knocknaheeny one that's closed

54kroc wrote: »

Happy Halloween lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Closed, or set on fire? :D

Sam Mac wrote: »
    Closed, or set on fire? :D

The bastards took away the two for one Tuesday offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

BArra wrote: »
    Jack and Jones moving to the mothercare premises and superdry moving into old moderne building afaik

Superdry shop coming to Cork? Bye bye money!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

50% boarded up, what a massive exaggeration!

Actually Cork City is currently in a very healthy state of transition. The Moderne was an awful, low end store, Superdry is going in there now and that will do incredible business and far more upmarket.

Jack and Jones is moving to Mothercare so that Pennys can expand into their current store.

Supposedly Starbucks and Nanados are also on the way. All of that on top of the awesome Opera Lane development, the nice Boots around the corner and the nice but currently underdeveloped Coal Quay center.

The only real boarded up eyesore, which might give you this impression is the Capitol Cinema Complex and all the stores near there. The story with these is that they were all bought up and owned by the same developer, with a plan to redevelop the entire block into a new shopping center. Then the recession hit, the developer went broke and all of that area now seems to be in NAMA ownership. So stores can't just move into these boarded up stores. With things picking up again it is likely the development of this shopping center will eventually go ahead.

Basically the Patrick Street area is transforming from a lot of low end stores to a much nicer and more healthy mix of more uprange clothing stores and nice cafes and restaurants. Making it a nicer place to just stroll around, relax and have a good time. Personally I hate places like Mahon, while convenient to get to, they are so soulless and boring.

Edit: Actually turns up the entire Capitol Complex has just recently been put up for sale to interested developers and it is expected that a massive food complex will be built as part of the complex extending into the English Market, it sounds awesome.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/food-capital-plan-on-the-menu-for-cork-city-238665.html
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/real-capitol-site-bought-in-cork-for-euro60m-to-sell-for-euro6m-291895.html

Also the owners of Merchants Quay have put in planning requests for changes and redevelopment there to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

WTF .. don't be saying things like that ... :D

For a moment I thought i'd never eat a Garlic cheese breast in a bun again !!

WTF .. don't be saying things like that ... :D

For a moment I thought i'd never eat a Garlic cheese breast in a bun again !!

Someone coming on here saying half our shops are boarded up is ridiculous enough but don't fu*k with our Hillbilly's.

hillbillys are coming to mahon point soon

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Its renamed to Papa Johns or something like that, but exactly the same food as Hilbillies and they do the Tues 2 for 1 Snackbox deal. The other Hilbillies change it up every Tues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Someone coming on here saying half our shops are boarded up is ridiculous enough but don't fu*k with our Hillbilly's.

I went to Cork with a Dutch friend, he said he wanted to try local cuisine, so I took him to Hillbillys :pac:

He seemed to like it though, Lennoxs he didn't like so much, the Dutch like to have chips with their sauce rather than the other way around. Had to get him out of there quick .

Advertisement