Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Cup Sweepstake Ideas

Options
  • 29-05-2014 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

So gonna run the office sweepstake for the World Cup and looking for ideas to give everyone a chance at winning something.

I'm going to do 1st, 2nd, 3rd but to give someone who has picked out a rubbish team am thinking of doing

-team with most goals scored against them
    -quickest yellow card of the tournament
    -first team to loose on penalties

€10 per head. €320 in the pot. How would be best to split the pot and any other ideas from anybody or something which is better than my ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Larrson

Doing the exact same thing, was thinking of the team with the first player sent off or the first team to Concede a penalty. Was going to do Winner takes 50% and split the next 2 20% Each and the last one 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

There are excel files doing the rounds, prefer prediction-based stuff myself although I understand a sweep is sometimes an easier sell to casual punters in the office

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Here is one I saw I prefer predictions competitions but this might of interest to some of ye.
    With the World Cup starting next Thursday we are organizing a competition. Entries cost €10 and you will pick an envelope containing 1 of the 32 countries involved. Rather than the usual few prizes for winner, runner-up etc. there will be prizes for every single match played (excluding the 3rd/4th place play-off). Should give everyone a bit of interest in it. The prize pot is as follows:

- 48 group stage games @ €2 per game

- 8 last 16 games @ €10 per game

- 4 1/4 final games @ €15 per game

- 2 Semi-final games @ €20 per game

- 1 Final @ €44

The results are over the normal 90 minutes for group games and up to 120 minutes for knock-out rounds (i.e. results of penalty shoot-outs don’t count). A draw will result in win prize being split between both teams.

Therefore, the eventual winners, if they were to win every game, would return €95.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

That last one is very interesting. Gives everyone something to cheer for and bit of rivalry. Pain for the organisers though.

I got stung with Australia. Sure I got them last time too.

Anyone with Paddy Power messenger? Decent free sweep there. Hundred quid free bet if your team wins or a fifty bet to whoever concedes most in group stages. Don't have Iphone myself and don't think the app is available for android

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

We're doing a fairly straight forward one in work, based on predictions:

Choose the Winner, Worst team (lowest points then worst GD) and, for a tie-break, predict the total tournament goals.

Its simple for the non-football fans to understand and it makes you take an alternative look at it when trying to sort out the worst team!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Collie D wrote: »
    That last one is very interesting. Gives everyone something to cheer for and bit of rivalry. Pain for the organisers though.

I got stung with Australia. Sure I got them last time too.

Anyone with Paddy Power messenger? Decent free sweep there. Hundred quid free bet if your team wins or a fifty bet to whoever concedes most in group stages. Don't have Iphone myself and don't think the app is available for android

Its not actually too bad for the organizer.Whoever is running it can just download an excel page online and let it do all the work for you.Can just email all participants a screen shot after every round or a protected version of the chart.
    http://www.soccerwallcharts.com/downloads.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

i organised one for my close family. only 10 of us in it at 5 euro per head. after all the work of getting the money and all, i end up with italy :( lol

Advertisement