Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Only put my Alfa GT up for sale and already have what I presume is a fraud email...

• 09-09-2011 8:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

Only put my Alfa GT up for sale and already have what I presume is a fraud email...

Just want to get your thoughts on it. Just want to confirm my suspicions.
    Name: clara

Phone No:

Email Address : claramorgan256@rocketmail.com

Ref/URL: http://www.carzone.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/GT/1.9-SPOR/201136204281465/advert?channel=CARS

Comments: I would like to enquire about the 2004 Alfa Romeo GT 1.9 SPORTIVO 3DR

Powered by www.carzone.ie

Sender IP: / 172.17.10.254

I then wrote back asking what exactly did she want to enquire about and would she like to view the car

cleardot.gifcleardot.gifClara Morgan to me
    show details 7:48 PM (43 minutes ago)

Thanks for getting back to me,i want to ask you some questions about this item,1)Why are you selling the item?2)What's the present condition of the item,3)Are you the first owner,4?Am currently offshore as am an oceanographer,and am buying it for my son as a birthday gift,so i will be paying you through paypal as i can only send money out from here through paypal i could have send you the money through Western union but am not with ma card here and i only have access to my paypal account which is attach to my bank account,i have a pickup agent that will be coming for the pickup as soon as the payment has been send for it,so kindly send me a picture of it and also your paypal email address to send you the money now,And also send me your home address and also your phone number so i can have it forward to my pick up agent which is coming for the pickup as soon as the payment has been confirmed..I await your fast response..

Clara

I wrote back saying I'd need to meet in person and need cash or bank draft confirmed as genuine by a bank.

No reply yet. :rolleyes:

Thankfully have had a few interested but I reckon I can forget about this one eh.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Send them all your bank details immediatley...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Reager

Sounds like a scam - I had the same type of email - oceanographer, birthday present, pickup agent, western union for something I was selling on buyandsell.ie about a year ago......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I tried to trace the IP address but its coming up as unknown or private..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Ok thats that then so. I suspected as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Yeah its a fairly well known scam.
    Who actually falls for these things? Surely the scammers can come up with something more believable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭nursextreme

Its a well known scam - just google "Oceanographer Scam"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Send them all your bank details immediatley...:pac:

And while your at it you can pm them to me as well

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭nursextreme

Email her back and tell her your other car is Amphibious if she's interested :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,296 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not another one of these scams.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭PeterB11

B*stards.. who actually falls for these.. How do they actually think they would get money out of this?? Do they ask for bank details credit card details or something??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I tried to trace the IP address but its coming up as unknown or private..

You backtraced it? oooohhhh dangerous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

PeterB11 wrote: »
    B*stards.. who actually falls for these.. How do they actually think they would get money out of this?? Do they ask for bank details credit card details or something??

Listen to Joe Duffy. Plenty of people fall for them. Some of them are even worse than the op's one.

Advertisement