Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

anna080 wrote: »
    Sunny Dayz I felt the exact same about The Ordinary silicone primer. I sat waiting for it to sink in before applying foundation but after waiting a few minutes I realised okay maybe this is how its meant to feel- so I applied the foundation over it. It went on awful. Slipping and sliding around my face and any slight touch removed the product. For a primer of which the sole purpose is to adhere to the make up, for me it did the complete opposite! Maybe I should try it with a different foundation.
    I've found that this primer takes a while to sink in. What I tend to do is apply it about 15 mins before I go to do my makeup (while I'm getting dressed and having breakfast).

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

The best primer I've used is Smashbox Photo Finish, it sinks right into your skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

The naked palette was the first make up product I bought in 2017 but everything is running low now and have to buy new skin care soon too. I love trying out different things but had to slap myself on the wrist!

I use cheap rimmel for work and use double wear for nights out.

I use the smashbox photo fnish primer too, got it last year and it's a keeper! I use a cheap catrice one for everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

As much as I've been loving the Catrice HD foundation, I think it's the culprit of my recent breakouts because I never usually get spots :( I have a bottle of MAC Studio Fix Fluid but really don't like it, other people seem to find it great.

Anyone have any suggestions where to go from here?

Also the urge to buy Naked Heat after this thread is way too strong. I pass Debenhams on the bus every evening, such pretty advertising :pac: but I have Modern Renaissance so maybe I'm being silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

Interesting to hear So Sue saying this evening that her eyeshadow palettes were not private label.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

As much as I've been loving the Catrice HD foundation, I think it's the culprit of my recent breakouts because I never usually get spots :( I have a bottle of MAC Studio Fix Fluid but really don't like it, other people seem to find it great.

Anyone have any suggestions where to go from here?

The Catrice HD foundation really broke me out too! I loved the texture and finish but I had to give up on it after I got the most awful breakout around my nose and forehead — it's never happened before.

If you're looking for medium coverage, long wear but not too matte finish then would you try Double Wear Light? It's not light at all and is my holy grail foundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

After all that, I was in Superdrug last night and I got the Makeup Revolution Hard Day palette. Sali Hughes mentioned in her last Guardian article that the taupe in it was very nice so I googled it and really liked the look of all the colours. We'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

NicsM wrote: »
    The Catrice HD foundation really broke me out too! I loved the texture and finish but I had to give up on it after I got the most awful breakout around my nose and forehead — it's never happened before.

If you're looking for medium coverage, long wear but not too matte finish then would you try Double Wear Light? It's not light at all and is my holy grail foundation.

I second this. It's the best foundation I've ever used. I have very oily skin and while it does get a bit shiny on my nose as the day goes on, it doesn't break down or look cakey. I just blot it and it looks perfect again. I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

NicsM wrote: »

tinyk68 wrote: »
    I second this. It's the best foundation I've ever used. I have very oily skin and while it does get a bit shiny on my nose as the day goes on, it doesn't break down or look cakey. I just blot it and it looks perfect again. I love it.

Thanks guys! I'll give the Double Wear Light a go. I haven't worn makeup all week trying to let my face recover from the Catrice HD! It looks so nice on and all :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Beaut.ie gave this Max Factor foundation a good review and compared it to Double Wear https://www.beaut.ie/beauty/eh-just-found-e13-99-version-double-wear-380310 I have it myself and find it sits really nice on my skin. Definitely full coverage but not cakey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Lead

Twee. wrote: »
    Beaut.ie gave this Max Factor foundation a good review and compared it to Double Wear https://www.beaut.ie/beauty/eh-just-found-e13-99-version-double-wear-380310 I have it myself and find it sits really nice on my skin. Definitely full coverage but not cakey.

There's only 5 shades? What shade do you have? I'd need something very light in colour and the lightest seems a bit dark? Obviously i'd need to go check myself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Lead wrote: »
    There's only 5 shades? What shade do you have? I'd need something very light in colour and the lightest seems a bit dark? Obviously i'd need to go check myself.

I'll do a swatch when I'm home, can't remember what colour off hand, probably whatever the lightest one is :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

I've actually been using it too, based off the same Beaut.ie review :D I don't think it's as comparable to Double Wear as they make it out to be (on my skin, anyway!) but it's definitely a nice day time foundation, for me.

I've seen a good bit of talk about MAC Studio Fix Fluid lately, does anyone know how it would compare to the likes of Double Wear?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Just checked out the link there, I used to use the old version of this for years and found it really good, kept coming back to it until I met DW. It used to be a lot lighter though. Dying to try the touch proof one now.

The best dupe of DW I've found was recommended by a friend and it's very good, Maybelline Super Stay 24 hour foundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I love Max Factor foundations but their shade range is awful and theyre always far too pink or orange toned. Its a shame because their formulas are really good.

Just noticed the UD Heat palette is €47.50 in Debenhams was expecting them to be around €44, was going to pick it up. Surprised to see it heading towards €50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭A_smurf

It was the same price for me when I bought it in House Of Fraser in Dundrum a couple of weeks ago. I don't get to visit Dundrum shopping centre very often so I jumped at the chance to buy it while I was there. I have to join in with the praise for the UD Heat palette, it suits my hazel brown eyes perfectly and I can't see any shade that I won't get use out of, unlike most eyeshadow palettes.

Think I'm still going to get it as it does look lovely, not that I don't have enough warm eyeshadow palettes! Going to NYC in 2 weeks tho so I'm just going to hold off and get it in Sephora instead, I'll be getting a few other bits there so will build up the points and might get some samples or something with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Toastytoes wrote: »
    Just noticed the UD Heat palette is €47.50 in Debenhams was expecting them to be around €44, was going to pick it up. Surprised to see it heading towards €50.
    Apparently it's being discontinued.
    Edit sorry my mistake. It's not being discontinued. The smokey palette is and is apparently reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

I was in debenhams today and couldn't resist having a look at the heat palette. Dear God it's beautiful, the colours are so pigmented. I had to restrain myself from buying it there and then, but it's definitely on my wishlist now. I was never a big fan of oranges but these are actually very wearable. And I'm not sure if it was because it was swatched a lot, but the formulation seemed so creamy and buttery, more so than the other naked palettes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Toastytoes wrote: »

Do you thinks its worth the €50? Getting paid next week and trying my best to justify treating myself to another warmed toned palette!

I was looking at So Sues fire palette - anyone here seen that in person? I wonder what the quality is like.

Mugatuu wrote: »
    Do you thinks its worth the €50? Getting paid next week and trying my best to justify treating myself to another warmed toned palette!

I was looking at So Sues fire palette - anyone here seen that in person? I wonder what the quality is like.

I don't know tbh if worth it but I'll probably still get it. For me, I don't really get the worth/value out of pallets cos I have too many and don't use each of them enough to justify the cost. But that's my own fault, I need to make more effort. The quality of the eyeshadows is supposed to be decent.

The Heat palette is actually probably more usable on an everyday basis than then the previous Naked palettes as it is mostly matte shadows, so might get more use out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

Am I the only one that doesn't want the Naked Heat palette? I honestly can't see what all the fuss is about, and I love warm toned eyeshadows!

dizzyn wrote: »
    Am I the only one that doesn't want the Naked Heat palette? I honestly can't see what all the fuss is about, and I love warm toned eyeshadows!

Have you seen it in person? I didn't think I'd bother cos I have lots of similar toned eyeshadows individually and in palettes but it is gorgeous. So when I seen it I changed my mind. There are also a lot of mattes in it that will compliment other shadows that I already have.

Of course it won't appeal to everyone tho, that's fair enough. I think there is an overload of new palettes recently (as in last 12 months) and I'm getting a bit fatigued of it but when I seen this one in person it thought it was gorgeous and I think it will really make my blue eyes pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I'm not buying another palette until I hit pan on at least half the shadows in the ones I currently have, but I'll repurchase at least two of those and still consider Naked Heat because it's so different from my current ones and I think it would suit my colouring... Christmas present from me to me, maybe!
    Can anyone recommend a cheap/drugstore mascara that has a soft, almost fluffy brush/applicator akin to the Clinique mascara brushes? I love my Clinique one but I don't normally buy expensive mascara and in any case I'm not crazy about the formula (it smudges a bit).

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

You could use the Clinique brush in a different mascara! Some time ma they can fit into different ones!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

dee_mc wrote: »
    I'm not buying another palette until I hit pan on at least half the shadows in the ones I currently have, but I'll repurchase at least two of those and still consider Naked Heat because it's so different from my current ones and I think it would suit my colouring... Christmas present from me to me, maybe!
    Can anyone recommend a cheap/drugstore mascara that has a soft, almost fluffy brush/applicator akin to the Clinique mascara brushes? I love my Clinique one but I don't normally buy expensive mascara and in any case I'm not crazy about the formula (it smudges a bit).

I love the Catrice mascara. Is this the kind of brush you meant?

4250587768398-1-zoom.jpg?1435323369

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Ankhyu wrote:
    I love the Catrice mascara. Is this the kind of brush you meant?

Yep that looks similar! Maybe I'm imagining it but I find some of the bristle brushes very coarse whereas the Clinique ones are much softer.
    I've tried a few Catrice products lately and liked them so will try that too, thanks for the recommendation!

Re using a different brush, I do my makeup on the go a lot so that wouldn't be practical for me but thanks for the tip!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Mugatuu wrote: »

Reviews I've seen are awful for that palette - poor quality and the pigment is weak.

I read stuff about her telling lies about where she got it from. She claims she made it from scratch. Apparently it's a copy of a cheap one available on ali express! She bought the rights and put her name on it, all these 'beauty bloggers' do it. It also looks identical to Charlotte from Geordie Shore's new palette and people are putting 2 and 2 together (i.e it's the same palette/company!). Charlotte also showed up at So Sue Me launch the other night, coincidence or ?

I'm very sceptical of any of these 'ranges'. I really would be VERY slow to buy ANY products from 'beauty bloggers' full stop unless you know who is producing their stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

McCabes had buy one get one half price on Benefit so I finally got myself a Full size Hula and Benefit roller lash in Brown!

I've been using the Hula mini bronzer for a year and there's nothing left so I know I'll get tonnes of use out of that and I love roller lash for every say makeup, it's the only one that never goes onto my lid when I apply! Decided to try the brown for us softer look and the differs subtle, but I lot it :)

Advertisement