Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Head gasket symptoms?

• 21-08-2011 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

Seems to be lots of symptoms for HG failure and I'm wondering if these ones fit:

- Coolant expansion tank level dropped about 1 inch over the course of 2 weeks.

- Coolant in the expansion tank has a thin film of oil and little white bits floating around.

- Oil level has dropped from half full to bottom of the safe level in the same period.

- Slight smell of coolant from the exhaust but no smoke/steam visible.

No odd noises, engine runs fine and it's not obviously overheating according to the thermostat.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Confab wrote: »
    Seems to be lots of symptoms for HG failure and I'm wondering if these ones fit:

- Coolant expansion tank level dropped about 1 inch over the course of 2 weeks.

- Coolant in the expansion tank has a thin film of oil and little white bits floating around.

- Oil level has dropped from half full to bottom of the safe level in the same period.

- Slight smell of coolant from the exhaust but no smoke/steam visible.

No odd noises, engine runs fine and it's not obviously overheating according to the thermostat.

Sounds like the oil and water are mixing and both are going somewhere and the likely cause is the head gasket.

Any bubbles appearing in expansion tank when the engine is running?

Any "mayonaise" on the dipstick or oil filler cap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Buffman

What car is it?

I once had similar symptoms with a VAG 1.9TDI which turned out to be a broken oil cooler.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Avns1s wrote: »
    Any bubbles appearing in expansion tank when the engine is running?

Nope.
    Avns1s wrote: »
    Any "mayonaise" on the dipstick or oil filler cap?

Nope to both.
    Buffman wrote: »
    What car is it?

'99 Corsa B 1L. No oil cooler, just an engine with the power of an elderly bumblebee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Possibly a small leak where the coolant is mixing with the oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

Difficulty starting after a couple of days?

• Advertisement

lomb wrote: »
    Difficulty starting after a couple of days?

It's never been left more than 18 hours between starts so I can't really test that. It starts every time but lately it takes a fraction of a second longer to start.

This car is beginning to make a Laguna look reliable. Maybe I should flog it now while it's still running without a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Lol yeah, anf give some other poor fella a problem :P

In my eyes if there isn't mayonnaise on the end of the dipstick you're alright, get thee to a mechanic and solve it!

This car is beginning to make a Laguna look reliable. ..........

Let's not get carried away, as your oil level has dropped and there in no sign of water in the oil that's not too bad. Coolant loss could be just a leak and the amount you have lost isn't huge. I'd be more concerned with the oil loss than the coolant loss. Either way just keep both topped up :)

Did you get it NCTd yet?

Yep my HG was gone and within 3 days the whole coolant tank was disappearing. So alot more dramatic than what you describe.

Also have a sniff in the coolant expansion tank, mine smelt quite fumey, a sign that its going where it shouldn't.

• Advertisement

cisk wrote: »
    Also have a sniff in the coolant expansion tank, mine smelt quite fumey, a sign that its going where it shouldn't.

Just back from work, decided to open the expansion tank and it was a bit like opening a big bottle of Coke. There's definitely gas getting into the coolant. I have a carbon monoxide meter, might use that to check if it's CO.
    Did you get it NCTd yet?

I don't think it'd pass at this stage. Rear wheel bearing going, CV boot going, coolant and oil leak make it a non-starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Just back from work, decided to open the expansion tank and it was a bit like opening a big bottle of Coke. There's definitely gas getting into the coolant. I have a carbon monoxide meter, might use that to check if it's CO.

I don't think it'd pass at this stage. Rear wheel bearing going, CV boot going, coolant and oil leak make it a non-starter.
    Did it just make a hiss sound or did it actually fizz up?

Plug wrote: »
    Did it just make a hiss sound or did it actually fizz up?

Both, when I revved it bubbles started appearing. Actually i foun out when the problem is - the fan isn't working. At idle the temp will creep past 90 and the fan won't start. I got it down using the heater at full blast but I suspect a new fan will only stop things getting worse. It'll probably keep losing coolant and oil regardless.

@#$%£;!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Aye it must of over heated at some stage so. HG gasket failure = :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

busted fans are common on those we cosra B's.

Sounds like a Head Gasket alright. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

'99 Corsa B 1L. No oil cooler, just an engine with the power of an elderly bumblebee.

But do you remember what i said they sound like when misfiring? :P

Anyway initial description sounds very much like you've got oil in the coolant which on that car will be from a failing head gasket or cracked/warped head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kfit

what are the main signs of the head gasket gone ?

kfit wrote: »
    what are the main signs of the head gasket gone ?

For me I pull out the oil dipstick, when the head gasket goes water mixes with the oil and it becomes a creamy colour. Don't check and the oil filler cap as this could just be condensation, check on the stick.

For me I pull out the oil dipstick, when the head gasket goes water mixes with the oil and it becomes a creamy colour. Don't check and the oil filler cap as this could just be condensation, check on the stick.

Yup, which means my HG ain't gone. Bit of a relief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Both, when I revved it bubbles started appearing. Actually i foun out when the problem is - the fan isn't working. At idle the temp will creep past 90 and the fan won't start. I got it down using the heater at full blast but I suspect a new fan will only stop things getting worse. It'll probably keep losing coolant and oil regardless.

@#$%£;!

Check the oil pressure switch and the water pump too, both extremely common leak areas on those engines.

If they suffer any overheating at all though the head gasket will go as they area weak point on those. The engine itself is pretty robust otherwise and they are a solid car so could still be worth fixing. A simple sniff test will tell you in 2 mins if the head gasket is gone.

I'm doing one at the moment and to do it properly costs about €350ish on parts and head work(pressure test and skim) without labour. Specific timing tools are also needed for that engine.

• Advertisement

Check the oil pressure switch and the water pump too, both extremely common leak areas on those engines.

If they suffer any overheating at all though the head gasket will go as they area weak point on those. The engine itself is pretty robust otherwise and they are a solid car so could still be worth fixing. A simple sniff test will tell you in 2 mins if the head gasket is gone.

I'm doing one at the moment and to do it properly costs about €350ish on parts and head work(pressure test and skim) without labour. Specific timing tools are also needed for that engine.

Thanks ND, it's leaking through the oil pressure switch. I don't think the HG is gone as the oil and coolant loss is constant but minor. I can live with topping it up every month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kfit

thanks limerick man, oil dipstick looks ok, just losing water every week, and some spluttering from engine on starting.

kfit wrote: »
    thanks limerick man, oil dipstick looks ok, just losing water every week, and some spluttering from engine on starting.

Might not be related! Is it dripping anywhere?

Advertisement