Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Fabulous report Gavlor. Over the moon for you and well done in surpassing your fundraising target too. I'll pop another few bob on there now that you've done the business;)
    DON'T GIVE UP RUNNING!!!!!!!!!!! I wanna read about the sub 2:45 next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Fantastic performance and throughly well deserved considering the excellent training you put in. It sounds like some experience. How did wearing racers all last summer contribute to your injury if you dont mind me asking? I only ever wear racers and this may be a cause for my injury issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

tang1 wrote: »
    Fantastic performance and throughly well deserved considering the excellent training you put in. It sounds like some experience. How did wearing racers all last summer contribute to your injury if you dont mind me asking? I only ever wear racers and this may be a cause for my injury issues.

Cheers.

It was due to the way I was landing. My ankle was almost at 45 degrees upon landing which caused the tendons on the outside of my leg to strain and it stood out straight away that I needed a bit of support. I haven't have any recurrence since despite 2 marathons and 1100 miles. I wouldn't even wear the racers when putting out the bin!

Gavlor wrote: »
    Cheers.

It was due to the way I was landing. My ankle was almost at 45 degrees upon landing which caused the tendons on the outside of my leg to strain and it stood out straight away that I needed a bit of support. I haven't have any recurrence since despite 2 marathons and 1100 miles. I wouldn't even wear the racers when putting out the bin!

Might be something to look into, physio had a look at them post operation and said they were fine to be running in. But are physios experts on running shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Nice work. Well done delighted for you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Brilliant report, you make running that fast sound so easy :rolleyes: Congrats again, very well deserved :D of course its harder than pedalling in lycra ;)

Looking forward to your 2.50 report from Dublin :P

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Congrats Gavlor - a well earned achievement and deserved with all the training done.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Nicely done. Reckon you can put the glute/hamstring issue to rest with a bit more time and work? Like many others here I'm pretty sure you have a substantially faster time in you if you wanted it and the planets aligned just right :)

cianc wrote: »
    Nicely done. Reckon you can put the glute/hamstring issue to rest with a bit more time and work? Like many others here I'm pretty sure you have a substantially faster time in you if you wanted it and the planets aligned just right :)

I'm starting yoga next week with a group made up mostly of runners (the instructor is a runner himself). I reckon it will do me the world of good. The hamstring is a definite problem but my physio reckons it's all down to a glute weakness. Apparently the muscle range is meant to fire hamstring, glute, back in that order. Mine fires hamstring, back, glute. So if I fix that it should help when I'm strengthening my hamstring.

I probably won't do another marathon this year. I want to focus on the shorter , faster stuff for a while mixed with some proper cycling.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Hope you are recovering well. It was great to meet you and Mrs G. You're actually a decent enough bloke....for an Everton fan! ;-)

Seriously though, both of you were great company and I hope your year just gets better running wise.

Thanks Robbie, very nice to meet you too. No doubt we'll meet at a couple of races throughout the year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great report, captured the mood brialliantly. Really makes me and Mrs AMK want to be at a Boardsie mass participation event!!

Great racing, the Glute and hamstring thing is very interesting, a guy I work with ran 2:52 and has got hammy issues in every marathon he does. He's putting it down to a desk job and inherent weakness in key muscles as a result. Makes sense.

The yoga gig seems the way to go. Must look up similar myself.

Must organise our schedules to get a race together during the year.

Meant to say as you're not doing another marathon this year, I have a nice marker and great motivation!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done Gavlor - loved the way you got going again at Mile23, tough bastid !
    Great report too, congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Great report - enjoyed that Gav and more importantly it sounds like you did too.

Great report, captured the mood brialliantly. Really makes me and Mrs AMK want to be at a Boardsie mass participation event!!

Great racing, the Glute and hamstring thing is very interesting, a guy I work with ran 2:52 and has got hammy issues in every marathon he does. He's putting it down to a desk job and inherent weakness in key muscles as a result. Makes sense.

The yoga gig seems the way to go. Must look up similar myself.

Must organise our schedules to get a race together during the year.

Yeah it helped her lose the notion that boards people are all trench coat wearing weirdos. We are now simply weirdos!!!

Yeah we'll definitely plan a race during the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Gavlor, I'm late getting the congratulations in but had to wait until the Toffeemen lost and Arsenal regained 4th spot just to balance out all the karma!
    Anyways, well done on a great performance and excellent race report.

One thing that you might synopsize for me:
    I have been dealing with a dodgy hamstring for the past ten days and it's now in danger of scuppering my goal marathon in 10 days time.
    Do you have any advice given you had similar issues but came out the far side with a shiny PB? Any feedback at all would be great.

Well done again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Badreputation

Congrats Gavlor on nailing the sub 3. Great race & report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

Well done Gavlor, a brilliant run, was great to put a face to the name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

By the way, TRR is actually a nice bloke, who would have guessed??!!!

I can't understand why everyone expects me to be an asshole when they meet me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

TRR wrote: »

Must be because you're friendly with Digger!

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    Gavlor, I'm late getting the congratulations in but had to wait until the Toffeemen lost and Arsenal regained 4th spot just to balance out all the karma!
    Anyways, well done on a great performance and excellent race report.

One thing that you might synopsize for me:
    I have been dealing with a dodgy hamstring for the past ten days and it's now in danger of scuppering my goal marathon in 10 days time.
    Do you have any advice given you had similar issues but came out the far side with a shiny PB? Any feedback at all would be great.

Well done again!

When you've supported Everton for as long as I have you get used to disappointment!

It's a tough one. My hamstring felt worse when it went in Dublin than on Sunday. It could be down to some of the strength work I did on it and the glute (supermans, bridge lifts, donkey kicks etc) but I also had it taped up with K-tape this time and wore my skins compression shorts. Maybe that helped, maybe it didn't.

I also reckon the lack of running in the last week - 10 days helped me finish the marathon as I was very fresh with little or no hamstring/glute pain going into the weekend.

Finally, if I hadn't the bit of time banked I wouldn't have got going again. I took a huge psychological blow when I felt it going and my only saving grace was the time cushion. I leaned on the one bit of positivity that I could muster up.

TRR wrote: »

It's your persona, try be more affable and show more concern for people's feelings..... just like I do!

Btw, I'm heading to the paint shop today. Garage doors and the front gate are top of the list for this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Just catching up on your report now. Great race, great result, great report sums it up from me. Congrats again.

Enjoy the painting and since you are so concerned about others wipe all thoughts of a rain-dance before the weekend out of your mind:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Made a batch of your flapjacks yesterday and put a wooden bed together without instructions! Not quite a domestic God just yet but earning some brownie points for next running trip...to Paris next month.
    Flapjacks were nice btw.Had to substitute golden syrup for maple though but that suited my sweet tooth.

Your legs feeling any way normal yet?
    Great result for Reds today.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Made a batch of your flapjacks yesterday and put a wooden bed together without instructions! Not quite a domestic God just yet but earning some brownie points for next running trip...to Paris next month.
    Flapjacks were nice btw.Had to substitute golden syrup for maple though but that suited my sweet tooth.

Your legs feeling any way normal yet?
    Great result for Reds today.

It's on a plate for Liverpool now, sickens me but they deserve it. Smashing style of football this year, a bit like as if Rodgers is controlling the team via FIFA 14 on a games console!

I haven't ran since last week. my hip and glute are in a jock. Don't run a marathon whilst carrying an injury kids!
    Back in with physio next week and starting yoga on Thursday.

Anyone reading this on Saturday night should put on channel 4 for a great stone roses documentary!

Anyone reading this on Saturday night should put on channel 4 for a great stone roses documentary!

Have it on record, like Shane Meadows' stuff.

Brilliant. Had to turn MOTD off, scouse propiganda night on there.

Brilliant. Had to turn MOTD off, scouse propiganda night on there.

Correction..... redsh!te propaganda night. Their deal with the devil is well and truly back on ;)

Correction..... redsh!te propaganda night. Their deal with the devil is well and truly back on ;)

Red$hite was the inference alright. I think it's a done deal. I'm moving to Mars. Who's with me?

• Advertisement

You're right, they deserve it. Rodgers is the best there is. But why o why have they the worst fans in the world......ever......

Advertisement