Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Busking

Options
  • 06-03-2014 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey there,
    Me and a couple of my mates are going busking in the Dublin City on Saturday for a few hours. We have 4 singers, 1 guitar. Saturday is going to be busy due to the rugby and concert in the O2, so we were wondering about amplification? We have a 15 watt amp, but where is it supposed to be plugged in? Or are we supposed to just bring battery operated amps? It's our first time busking so we want to make a good impression on the city!

Also, any advice as to where is good and bad to busk is also appreciated!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

First of all you shouldn't really need an amp but if you do you will need a battery powered one.
    Grafton st is your best bet but for gods sake bear in mind that there will be other buskers out as well and a lot of them do it for a living so don't have the amp so loud that you are encroaching on their pitch. speaking about pitches, make sure you give enough space as well so as not to píss off other buskers and also cause bottlenecks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I thought you needed a permit or something to busk?

No permit needed but police can move you along if you attract a large crowd causing an obstruction.

Or if you do I can't find a single link to find how to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SusanneKn

I honestly always prefer the musicians busking without an amp :)

Mr.S wrote: »
    How come some have permits issued by DCC on display? The regular ones on Grafton seem to have them!

No idea, have searched Google and can't seem to find anything to confirm one way or another.

I know when I used to busk or hang out with buskers back in the day (I'm auld) we didn't have them. That's not to say they are not required but just can't seem to find a link for info on how to get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭JamieHP

I busk quite often.
    You do not need a permit. The most the guards can do is move you on. I got banned from Dublin City Centre for 2 days when I was 13 haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Here be the rules:

http://www.dublincity.ie/RecreationandCulture/Events/StreetPerformersCode/Documents/DraftStreetPerformersByeLaws2013Busking.pdf

Though reading through them, it seems that many aren't enforced. Such as use of drums, selling merchandise, etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

If you have to use drums / amps then you aren't busking (and are quite annoying)

What a load of nonsense.

If it's an acoustic guitar ok but plenty of people busk with electric guitars so therefore need amps. Or are you suggesting that only acoustic guitars should be allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭micko4

What sort of money are you lads making on average? Was thinking on buying a small battery amp for acoustic harmonica and microphone.because sometimes I walked by people I could barely hear,you don't think the amp is needed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

That would be perfect, yes!

KeyWest on Grafton are a typical example of something that I wouldn't consider busking, essentially just playing a gig on the street.
    Disagree. There's an older gent who I see on Mary St the odd time, just him and the electric guitar, absolutely brilliant.

What I would like to see an end of is the backing tracks. Electric or acoustic, it should at least be all live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Backing tracks are a real nuisance, especially when they are so loud that the drown out actual musicians just up the street that are worth a listen.

Actually as I am ranting squeeze boxes in all of their forms should be banned from public places, the fact that they usually have a backing track belting out something like bad 70's cinema advertising just rubs salt into the wound.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Why is this even in Gigs and Events in first place. :confused:

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Why is this even in Gigs and Events in first place. :confused:

I reckon it has its place considering a lot of Irish bands have cut their teeth on Grafton St. Its not totally irrelevant. But shure maybe it should be in the Dublin forum but will probably get a more relevant response in here.

Advertisement