Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCSA: Windows 8

Options
  • 19-04-2014 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Planning on doing this, but a bit wary about whether or not companies will start using windows 8. The windows 7 cert retires at the end of this year.

Is it better to be more up to date or go with windows 7 as its used more in companies. I havent used windows 8 yet so im not sure how similar it is to windows 7.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

jd83 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Planning on doing this, but a bit wary about whether or not companies will start using windows 8. The windows 7 cert retires at the end of this year.

Is it better to be more up to date or go with windows 7 as its used more in companies. I havent used windows 8 yet so im not sure how similar it is to windows 7.

Thanks

I would say go with Windows 7.
    A lot of companies are downgrading their Win 8 PCs for Win7, my own included.
    You can always take the upgrade exam for Win 8 in a year or 2 if it becomes more prevalent in your working environment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

What sort of job do you have now? What sort of job do you want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/technology/60155-windows-8-enterprise-take-up-terrible

be interesting to see does the next update change adoption rates in enterprise.

its a solid os past its first updates. Dunno if any of those gui tools are free for enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Yh I cant see organisations who have spent a fortune upgrading to windows 7 upgrading to 8 anytime soon.

As for going from xp to 8 I would say there in a minority so. I was looking on other forums and they were recommending always stay as up to date as possible.

I guess if I do 7 it wouldnt be too hard to upgrade in a years time if needed.

Thanks for your replies
    Kinet1c wrote: »
    What sort of job do you have now? What sort of job do you want?

I work in a customer service job and want to move into I.T. I done information systems in college. Finding it hard to get a job with the degree. Looking back I should have just done certifications instead.

I have an interest in moving into an i.t support role and move into 2nd\3rd level support. I done comptia n+ years ago also. So just want to get something to qualify me in desktop support and maybe do the server ones after that and see where it takes me.

I reckon a lot were waiting to see would MS drop metro with service pack on 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

For traditional businesses with a lot of windows-only software, where cloud everything is not an option, windows 8 on a mobile laptop/tablet hybrid is the only show in town for your mobile power users.
    I'd definitely recommend doing win8 cert over 7.

If the next update 8.2 give more functionality back to a start menu, I think any forward thinking IT dept will embrace W8. Its a solid OS, if you can see past metro.

But at the moment I think everyone is waiting. I'd say a lot of those on XP also have a lot of very old desktops/laptops.So they'll probably replace the hardware at the same time.

Advertisement