Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banished

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

My biggest issue now is not food or supplies its the fact that my population is ageing 70 adults -was 98 pop 3 students 3 kids, Too mines 1 stone Qu- 15,000 units of mix food 22 houses stoned- Chaple-Local Pub 1 farm-2 crops- 1 Apply Orc. Seems age will be my defeat. i checked the age another 20 adults will die and only 6 will replace them and in 5-10 years another 10 will follow with no student to replace them as i have an ageing population, But i will then just have small population focus on basic like wood food and tools with the current infanstructor i have i should be ok till i can build back up.

I was trying to keep my population in terms of % at W60/S30/C10. At one stage adults were up to about 80% of overall pop, with average age of around 50. I had 18k food and about 100coats, 120 tools and 800 firewood + 6k in the trade ports. I allowed in 24 nomads to easy the population gap. I was not expecting the run on tools to be so bad. I was down to single digits with 3 blacksmiths working away.

Trade pots have kept me alive, no doubt about it. I can see the value of firewood being altered in any balancing patches, probably brought down by two points.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

What speed do you guys play at?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i like to meander around at 5x, but lately I've been racing through at 10x all the time as I'm eager for **** to get done.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

x10 usually, x1 if I need to focus on something.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

nesf wrote: »

Same

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

nesf wrote: »

+1, +5 if I think I'm in a crisis (every Winter :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Whats the story with the trading post, do you guys use auto purchases or what?

Nolars wrote: »
    Whats the story with the trading post, do you guys use auto purchases or what?

Not usually no. I prefer to manage things manually, however late-game with a well established economy, automatic purchases make a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

5 speed here too. 10 when I'm waiting to get things done.

The auto slow down for emergencies is a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭KilOit

Found the game a little too easy, i don't expand fast in these games anyway so didn't really encounter anything challenging.
    Game itsn't a patch on Anno 2070

• Advertisement

KilOit wrote: »
    Found the game a little too easy, i don't expand fast in these games anyway so didn't really encounter anything challenging.

Set yourself some challenges maybe

KilOit wrote: »

The game is truly a sandbox game, what challenges there are are for you to set yourself. It certainly is lacking many things, no argument there, but it's a one-man project so that's to be expected and he's talked about putting in mod tools now that it's launched and giving the kind of access to modders that they can practically build a totally different game on top of Banished if they feel like it.

Give it time to mature and the modding community to mature and it could get very interesting. :)

"Willice the stonecutter died during childbirth" Ah jasus Willice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I picked this game up yesterday, it's pretty a good, easy to learn hard to master type of game. Is it wrong to build houses for teenagers so that you can send their children down the mine?

It's horrible how it turns on you just as you think everythings going perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

ScumLord wrote: »
    Is it wrong to build houses for teenagers so that you can send their children down the mine?

Emotions are your enemy! Send the b*stards down!

Man, this game is cruel. I restarted twice thinking I'd be more cautious and that I expanded too quickly the first time but it just punishes you whatever way you go about it. Build a load of farms and you've more cabbage than you know what to do with and nothing else. Concentrate on food and you've no timber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Just started this last night. Pretty tough game.

My first three attempts were a write off. Ended up out of food and people dying all over the place.

Currently have a town running 4 years (not that long I know but best for me yet) and doing pretty well.
    Good amount of food in stock, everyone housed in stone houses. 4 hearts average health and 5 stars happiness.

Really enjoying it. If you think of it as "The settlers" you are gonna fail badly. Rapid expansion = rapid downfall.
    It's pretty unforgiving once things start to go bad. :P

What I found is that farms are a big expense to maintain. I was going for the biggest plot it would allow at first and it wasn't working out at all. So I went for smaller plots that seemed to work better but hunting and fishing seems to be more stable.

I haven't played it in a while but I was starting to get a stable enough town going with the odd massive swings in food production. Get a tailor and sheep so you can make warm coats, it seems to be the only thing of real value when it comes to trading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

I haven't played it in a while but I was starting to get a stable enough town going with the odd massive swings in food production. Get a tailor and sheep so you can make warm coats, it seems to be the only thing of real value when it comes to trading.

Exactly what my current project is. Building a trading post, pastures and a tailor.
    Just noticed that some population are in "ragged" clothes. I know it ain't gonna go well if I leave it much longer :P

What I found is that farms are a big expense to maintain. I was going for the biggest plot it would allow at first and it wasn't working out at all. So I went for smaller plots that seemed to work better but hunting and fishing seems to be more stable.

Hunter/Gatherer is better but the problem is you run out of space to put them and their footprint per food/day is massive compared to farms. Orchards and Fisheries seem to be middle grounds. The efficient strategy seems to be primary gatherer/hunter and then transition to mixing in more and more fishing and farming as the pop starts getting very big.

The biggest issue with farming is, gathering on its own gives enough variety to keep people healthy, but farming plots need to be supported by other farms or other food gathering buildings in order to maintain food diversity. Which becomes more and more of a problem as the population climbs and climbs (distributing the food out is a pain and you normally need levels upon levels of redundancy).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Bit of a bump on this but recently noticed there's a mod kit and plenty of mods now available for this, certainly adds an extra dimension and has me playing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Fantastic news! It's something the game desperately needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Ste_JDM

Hey all,

I picked up Banished over the winter sales and have been addicted since but I cant seem to maintain growth in my town. Spreading it out from the original settlement seems to be pretty tedious.

Also hunter cabins...they never pull their weight. I've watched my settlers just walk pass the deer over and over. -_-

Ste_JDM wrote: »
    Hey all,

I picked up Banished over the winter sales and have been addicted since but I cant seem to maintain growth in my town. Spreading it out from the original settlement seems to be pretty tedious.

Also hunter cabins...they never pull their weight. I've watched my settlers just walk pass the deer over and over. -_-

This might explain it: http://banished-wiki.com/wiki/Hunting_Cabin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Just get the Colonial Charter mod, it's a gigantic overhaul and incredibly professionally done, other mods aren't so great. This one adds a tonne of new features, resources, crops, animals, everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

This has been on the radar for a while and now I've cleared the recent backlog I'm in the hunt for something new. Is it a full release or another early access? And is €20 on steam the cheapest it is?

It's a full release, and it's on sale quite often.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Links234 wrote: »
    It's a full release, and it's on sale quite often.

Yeah cheapest right now is GOG for €16.99 but it shows in isthereanydeal.com as being down to €6.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Ste_JDM

This really does, I shall avoid using a cabin in early game

• Advertisement

Ste_JDM wrote: »
    This really does, I shall avoid using a cabin in early game

Don't! Cabins are really good early in the game, along with gatherers huts, they bring in a lot of food. Hunting cabins also bring in leather which you'll need for clothing, as you'll have no other source of materials that early unless you start with easy starting conditions.

It's only once you get livestock to hunting cabins start being outclassed, but they're still relatively good sources of food and materials.

Advertisement