Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pension question

• 12-04-2014 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Ok so I know this is getting way a head if things but I was talking with my dad who works in the prison service about pensions.

He was saying that if you joined and didn't complete 30 years of service you were only entitled to 33/80ths of pension entitlement at retirement. But that you could pay extra contributions and "buy back years" to make up your 30.

I'm just wondering if AGS is the same as statutory retirement of 60 is the same.

I think most people would feel a little hard done by doing 25+ years service and coming out with less than half.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 standtwo

Anyone? I had a look at the GRA site but couldn't see anything. I know if you already work for the government you can move your pension around so some people will be sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

standtwo wrote: »
    Anyone? I had a look at the GRA site but couldn't see anything. I know if you already work for the government you can move your pension around so some people will be sorted.

Retirement age is 60 and pension is set at 30yrs. If you join after 30yrs old you "buy" the extra years by contributing extra to the pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 standtwo

Lmklad wrote: »
    Retirement age is 60 and pension is set at 30yrs. If you join after 30yrs old you "buy" the extra years by contributing extra to the pension.

Cheers man,

That's reassuring. My dad said a lot of guys don't buy back years which seems crazy, is AGS the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

From Page 83 + of this AGSI booklet has a lot of info on Garda pensions etc,

http://www.pagesonline.ie/issue/2012/AGSI_Desk_Diary_2013/pubData/source/AGSI%20Digi%202013.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

standtwo wrote: »
    Cheers man,

That's reassuring. My dad said a lot of guys don't buy back years which seems crazy, is AGS the same?

No worries OP, any other questions feel free to pvt message. You dont have a choice, you must buy the extra years. Oh and for the last ten years of service you contribute double so in effect its a 40yr pension.

• Advertisement
Advertisement