Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog warden question

Options
  • 08-04-2014 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭

We live in a quiet and small estate, and only have one issue. There is a house a few doors up where the owners let's their dogs out every single night to go to the toilet.
    They go anywhere, the footpath, peoples gardens and on grass verges. This is constant and it's starting to annoy us. These people wouldn't be particularly approachable so I don't want to go down that route.

My question is, is there anything that the dog warden will do if I call him? It's happening at night time (11pm or thereabouts).

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

The best course of action, I think, is to give your local warden a call and see what he/she thinks. Some wardens are far better than others on issues like this! They may very well ask you to take pics or video, indeed they might just go with your anonymous report alone and visit the owners, who may very well be issued with a fine.
    Some wardens won't issue a fine unless they witness it with their own eyes, others (including the wardens around here) will issue fines based on reports alone, although I think more recently they ask you to fill out a report form.
    You are absolutely entitled to your anonymity, and should make this clear to the warden if it's important to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

DBB wrote: »
    The best course of action, I think, is to give your local warden a call and see what he/she thinks. Some wardens are far better than others on issues like this! They may very well ask you to take pics or video, indeed they might just go with your anonymous report alone and visit the owners, who may very well be issued with a fine.
    Some wardens won't issue a fine unless they witness it with their own eyes, others (including the wardens around here) will issue fines based on reports alone, although I think more recently they ask you to fill out a report form.
    You are absolutely entitled to your anonymity, and should make this clear to the warden if it's important to you.

Thanks for your reply, I'll call the dog warden this afternoon- see what he says. It's absolutely disgusting, and they really don't care- poo everywhere!

Stop, I know! It seems to be endemic amongst many owners in this country. They couldn't give a crap about where their dog craps!
    An owner near me was fined more than once for allowing her dog to wander the estate, so she started letting him out after office hours... Sheesh. But in fairness to the wardens, they called her out on this too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Jesus its dreadful isnt it.

We live in a cul de sac of 12 houses, only two dogs on our road (that includes mine), both black cocker spaniels...

One never allowed out, is only ever out on lead (my guy).

The other out all day / night crappying everyhwere all over the green, it amazes me as they have a bigger back garden than I do AND the have kids who play on the green (alongside their dogs sh*te)...

Dunno if its an irish thing allowing a dog to roam but everywhere I see dogs walking around, with collars, no woners in sight... all allowed to poo freely....its a disgrace IMO

I actually was talking to the lady who lets her dogs out at an xams party held by one of the neighbours and mentioned its a disgrace dogs roaming / pooing everywhere and she agreed :eek:

Might have to consider calling the dog warden on her too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Can the warden issue a fine based on a report alone? They don't need proof?

• Advertisement

Whispered wrote: »
    Can the warden issue a fine based on a report alone? They don't need proof?

Seems to be a fair bit of variation in different areas, but up here they have issued fines based on reports alone, though the latest case I know of, the complainant was asked to fill out a report form. Based on that, the dog owner was fined.
    I suppose at this point, the dog owner can contest the fine in court if they feel genuinely wronged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Probably depends on the calibre of your local Dog Warden. We phoned ours as we spotted a humane trap with an open tin of tuna in our next door neighbours garden. We have cats and we'd been through a lot of legal wrangling with him about anti-social behaviour at his end.

The warden came out, yer man said it was for catching a rat:rolleyes: and the warden sided with him. I knew the fcuker was lying and he'd just bought the wrong size trap. I phoned the guards about it too and we recorded the whole conversation with him, us and the Dog Warden and made him aware that we were doing so, just in case he got any more ideas about dumping our cats.

The cats have never been a problem for anyone, it was just evil spite on his part.

Firstly thanks for all the replies, glad to hear I'm not alone!

I got a call back from the warden this morning. The usual s**** in the country- (pardon the pun!)as in it depends on your area.
    He basically told me that because this is being done at night time that there's nothing he can do, and that if I manage to get a picture then I could report it to the LITTER WARDEN! After pressing the issue and threatening to escalate this to his superior he told me he'd pay them a visit and tell them a complaint has been made- personally I can't see this resolving the issue as I know that he's already visited them last year.

It really annoys me that different procedures are in place depending on what warden you have, there should be one process and it should be followed.

I will report them to the litter warden anyway, so tonight I'll be out with my phone and try and get a picture!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

m'lady wrote: »
    Firstly thanks for all the replies, glad to hear I'm not alone!

I got a call back from the warden this morning. The usual s**** in the country- (pardon the pun!)as in it depends on your area.
    He basically told me that because this is being done at night time that there's nothing he can do, and that if I manage to get a picture then I could report it to the LITTER WARDEN! After pressing the issue and threatening to escalate this to his superior he told me he'd pay them a visit and tell them a complaint has been made- personally I can't see this resolving the issue as I know that he's already visited them last year.

It really annoys me that different procedures are in place depending on what warden you have, there should be one process and it should be followed.

I will report them to the litter warden anyway, so tonight I'll be out with my phone and try and get a picture!

wondering who the dog wardens are responsible to? interesting his reaction when you mentioned his superior and i would simply do this now.obviously got to him some.

dog do is a health hazard. thinking sideways here.

Graces7 wrote: »
    wondering who the dog wardens are responsible to? interesting his reaction when you mentioned his superior and i would simply do this now.obviously got to him some.

dog do is a health hazard. thinking sideways here.

I'd imagine it's someone in the council, but I need to find out for sure!

Your right it's a health hazard. We have two dogs and they cause no harm to our neighbours, just wish we could get the same in return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I'd imagine it's someone in the council, but I need to find out for sure!

Your right it's a health hazard. We have two dogs and they cause no harm to our neighbours, just wish we could get the same in return.

try the chief veterinary officer for your area.
    done this re issues with dogs.

he will respond, if it is email, which i use for a papertrail, that this is the remit of the dogwarden and may well forward your mail to them whereupon there may be action.

oddest dog fouling here was when the digiweb engineer came to fix storm damage. he had his dog with him, let it out to poo on the drive...was so surprised was speechless.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭LoveChanel

We live in a quiet and small estate, and only have one issue. There is a house a few doors up where the owners let's their dogs out every single night to go to the toilet.
    They go anywhere, the footpath, peoples gardens and on grass verges. This is constant and it's starting to annoy us. These people wouldn't be particularly approachable so I don't want to go down that route.

My question is, is there anything that the dog warden will do if I call him? It's happening at night time (11pm or thereabouts).

The dog warden if they do come out will only chat nicely to the owners thats about it. We had an issue two years ago with unsavory neighbours. There boxer tried to attack my mum when she was miwing the law. Ofcourse the dog had no collar or supervison. The dog warden did f*** all. Thankfully they moved. Good luck with the dog warden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Probably depends on the calibre of your local Dog Warden. We phoned ours as we spotted a humane trap with an open tin of tuna in our next door neighbours garden. We have cats and we'd been through a lot of legal wrangling with him about anti-social behaviour at his end.

The warden came out, yer man said it was for catching a rat:rolleyes: and the warden sided with him. I knew the fcuker was lying and he'd just bought the wrong size trap. I phoned the guards about it too and we recorded the whole conversation with him, us and the Dog Warden and made him aware that we were doing so, just in case he got any more ideas about dumping our cats.

The cats have never been a problem for anyone, it was just evil spite on his part.

In fairness, i'd be keeping my cats out of his yard. Next time you might not be so lucky with just a trap from some storys you read here.

In fairness, i'd be keeping my cats out of his yard. Next time you might not be so lucky with just a trap from some storys you read here.
    I think he saw a different side to my husband that day and realised that there'd be a possibility that if any of our cats went missing the guy himself might never be found again. It's nothing to do with the cats and they don't actually go in his yard. It was just a spiteful thing on his part and he got rid of it after that.

We had to go through a lot of legal wrangling to sort him and his tenants out, it's a very very long story. My husband is the most laid back, decent man in the world, but if anyone tried to hurt me or the cats he's the last person to mess with. I don't think yer man realised that until my 6'3 husband was towering over him, trying very hard not to knock him on his arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

I think he saw a different side to my husband that day and realised that there'd be a possibility that if any of our cats went missing the guy himself might never be found again. It's nothing to do with the cats and they don't actually go in his yard. It was just a spiteful thing on his part and he got rid of it after that.

We had to go through a lot of legal wrangling to sort him and his tenants out, it's a very very long story. My husband is the most laid back, decent man in the world, but if anyone tried to hurt me or the cats he's the last person to mess with. I don't think yer man realised that until my 6'3 husband was towering over him, trying very hard not to knock him on his arse.

If they don't go in his yard than no reason to worry about the traps in said yard, much less have your husband threaten him.

My neighbor across the road has been breeding cats and letting them roam and it is doing my head in as they are crapping in my garden constantly, when I complained to him he said he said the same thing, he didn't think they went in in my garden. It's BS, cats roam.

If you really care about them you should keep them inside or you are taking a chance with them getting ran over by a car, bit by another cat or suffering god knows what at the hands of the cruel people we all know are out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

sligoface wrote: »
    If they don't go in his yard than no reason to worry about the traps in said yard, much less have your husband threaten him.

My neighbor across the road has been breeding cats and letting them roam and it is doing my head in as they are crapping in my garden constantly, when I complained to him he said he said the same thing, he didn't think they went in in my garden. It's BS, cats roam.

If you really care about them you should keep them inside or you are taking a chance with them getting ran over by a car, bit by another cat or suffering god knows what at the hands of the cruel people we all know are out there.
    Did you miss the bit about the tin of tuna inside the trap. He was trying to entice the cats in.

sligoface wrote: »

PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

ken wrote: »
    Did you miss the bit about the tin of tuna inside the trap. He was trying to entice the cats in.

I didn't miss it, and I certainly don't condone him doing that. I just believe that to truly protect your pet from danger and also prevent it causing damage it must not be allowed to roam. We all know there are cruel people out there. Keep your cats in and you don't run the risk of some psycho hurting them. And in doing so you also keep your pet from being a nuisance to the neighbors. A roaming cat is a nuisance. As I type one of them is staring in my window meowing, begging for food and getting my dogs all riled up.He or she is a lovely cat but I don't want the disturbance, and I really don't like having cat poo in my garden.

Unfortunately, some people will not hesitate to cause injury or worse to an animal that annoys them, or even one that doesn't. The responsibility for preventing that lies mostly with the pet owner IMO. It's just like people letting their dogs roam, then they are saddened when the dog gets run over, as if it never occured to them that such a thing could happen.

Advertisement