Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do people hate deadmau5 so much?

• 28-03-2014 12:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Genuine question here.

These days most people I speak to say deadmau5 is "sh*t,"
    Is he really though?

I understand his genre of music my not be everyone's cup of tea,
    I understand his mau5head looks abit ridiculous,
    I understand that he an absolute d*ckhead (i've met him,)

But talent wise I don't think he deserves to be titled as "sh*t,"
    I've been watching live streams of him in his studio lately working on tracks and I have to say what he is doing is pretty awesome.

Part of the appeal for me is the sort of minimalistic production; instead of filling out the songs with huge amounts of layers, there is more of a focus on the sound of the individual samples and synths and how they are arranged.
    Though I also consider a lot of his music to be just too simplistic to transcend mediocrity, and many of the "dance"-tunes to be too "sugary" for my taste. This is the side of his music that the haters focus on.

Seems to be todays pyg type hipsters hate him with a deep passion,
    He came up in conversation the other day with one them lumber jackin shirt wearin' hipsters - big ass beard, some stupid tattoos, rosary beads and swag head wearing clown. He was like "deadmau5 is f*ckin sh*t," I replied, "Why do you say that?" "He's just f*ckin sh*t, can't f*ckin stand him."

Of course their hatred for him is only fueled by his strong character and wide media exposure.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Coz dance music is dead. This electro shíte can't compare to trance from 10/15 years ago.. Public Domain, Delirium, early Tiestio, Paul Van Dyke, Mauro Picotto, I could go on...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Basin DePlayce

Give me ...release, witness me.

I am... outside, give me peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭bockeys jollocks

GerB40 wrote: »
    Coz dance music is dead. This electro shíte can't compare to trance from 10/15 years ago.. Public Domain, Delirium, early Tiestio, Paul Van Dyke, Mauro Picotto, I could go on...

Yep, it's like when they make it to mainstream, the contract stipulates that they must inject 4 blocks of mature chedder along with some bird singing, listen to JOC's first album before he was signed....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

I'm not taking about the music he makes, I'm taking about his ability in the studio. Anyone who understands music engineering will give this guy credit where it's due.

Btw, Public domain where awful ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

It's like everyting these days. People just follow the trend, whether it be loving the 'new' dubstep from a couple of years ago to hating Deadmau5. If it's seen as somehow cool to hate someone then people will follow. I'm from 90s generation of quality hard house, trance etc but there was loads of ****e released then as well. I think Deadmau5 is a great producer and love tracks like Ghosts N Stuff as well more atmospehric tunes like 'Strobe'. I think what has happened is that Deadmau5 has been linked to the whole 'EDM' explosion and we all know the amount of turds involved in that. Just have a listen to DG's version of Shot Me Down by Nancy Sinatra, absolute sonic drivel (Audio Bullys version is a proper remix). However Tsunami by DVBBS (NOT the Tinnie Tempah version) is a cracking tune.
    I'm not sure I've actually made any salient points there :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Haha, that list is fücking terrible.

There's plenty of quality acts out there, you just need to know where to look for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

Absolute prize Idiot - he has produced a couple of passable tracks in his very early days (before cashing in) but his whole schtick and moronic pronouncements just show that, whether they claim to have embraced it or not, the yanks just cant do dance music properly and as usual miss the whole point.

EDM Anyone ?!?!?!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Basin DePlayce

Reply To kunst

Ah now, there's no need to be that mean about it

What we're doing is comparing the more commercial side of dance music now and 10 - 15 years ago, and I think we can all agree it was better back then, yeah?

I was listening to a tape of tunes from vibe/ club/ pulse fm the other day, and Brainbug - Nightmare comes on, and im thinking too myself 'kids these days with their bland, homogenous EDM, will never feel the chills of listening to a record like this for the first time'...

or silence by delirium, or picotto's Lizard, or For an Angel.
    The way people on this forum go on, you'd swear they never listened to a bit of Moby

Public Domain? Bass in the place and all that? Meh... Though they did come from a band that had a few good tunes in their time, Ultra-Sonic, Obsession still gives me chills, every time.

Yo Mamma wrote: »
    Absolute prize Idiot - he has produced a couple of passable tracks in his very early days (before cashing in) but his whole schtick and moronic pronouncements just show that, whether they claim to have embraced it or not, the yanks just cant do dance music properly and as usual miss the whole point.

EDM Anyone ?!?!?!?

You mean the Canadians ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

mordeith wrote: »
    You mean the Canadians ;)

lol....yep I stand corrected.....Although we can blame the Americans for Skrillex :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

lol....yep I stand corrected.....Although we can blame the Americans for Skrillex :rolleyes:

I'll take Skrillex anyday over this lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭francois

I could waffle on at length about the rich history of dance music, clubs and raves, but the fact of the matter is he is a cock in a stupid headpiece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

EDM Anyone ?!?!?!?

As well as not knowing your geography, you obviously don't know your dance music history either.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭trancemuzic

Deadmau5 comes across as a right little ****e bag ,

His music is overrated and pains my ears to listen to it

He had some tunes early in his career that made me think " this guy might be onto something here "

Jaded , Faxing Berlin were both really good tracks with very simple catchy melodies but then he was releasing tunes and you would forget which track was called what cause they all sounded very alike

Then he started producing all that bleeping scratching noisey **** and it pained the ears to listen to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,140 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

theballz wrote: »
    I'm not taking about the music he makes, I'm taking about his ability in the studio. Anyone who understands music engineering will give this guy credit where it's due.

Btw, Public domain where awful
    i loved Public domain, they made more tracks then operation blade and rock da funky beats, they went more trance with tracks like "love you more" released around 2004/5, in answer to the question, i like deadmau5's older stuff, not exactly,i remember, move for me,jaded and so on

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

And trance from 10/15 years ago doesn't even compare to the proper dance music that came before it, in fact trance music from 10/15 years ago is what killed dance music in the first place.

It's all a matter of taste by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

his debut album was pretty good, I Remember being one of my favourite prog house tunes ever. Since then though he's been a lot more hit and miss. And he's a bellend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Looking at the cheesy-ass RedBox-on-a-student-night rubbish he's namechecking I don't think he ever liked anything cool, never mind before it was cool. He might have had a slice of pizza before it was cool, but it was probably a Dr Oetker's pizza.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

I'll always be a fan of Deadmau5's old stuff, stuff even before R.A.T. Stuff like Vexxiology, the Get Scraped series, Full Circle....Kids these days that say "oh man Dead-mawFIVE is aaawwsum, and my favourite tune is the Veldt", probably aren't aware of just how much Joel's sound changed with the likes of 4x4=12 and 'Album Title Goes Here'.

Those new albums are largely utter cheese to my ears. But i'll always love grooving to old tunes like 'Bounce', '1981', 'Lai' and 'Orca'.

I've seen Mau5 a couple of times live, and whatever you say about him, those kicks are absolutely savage! A technically gifted producer, no doubt about it. Although...seeing his live album show twice is enough for me, the only time i'd like to see him live again is if it's an unplugged Dj set somewhere in a more intimate venue (not a fecking arena) with just a pair of decks, and some cd's/vinyl of his personal favourites... That would be quite epic.

A home set he did in 2011 -

....i'm just listening to it now and I'm fecking amazed to hear Lucy - Beautiful People coming in from 16 minutes on. That's hypnotic Berghain grade full on techno! First 80 minutes of this set are kick-ass!

And here we have the first release on Richie Hawtin's Minus label in a very long time -

http://www.mixmag.net/words/news/deadmau5-joins-richie-hawtins-label-under-testpilot-alias

Quote from Richie - "It’s been nearly two years since the last Plus 8 record, but it seemed fitting that this record in particular, made by another skinny white kid from Canada, became part of the label’s collection and history."

So we can deduce that Joel's tastes shouldn't be underestimated. He's making minimal stuff under the 'testpilot' alias, and has most definitely been into the darker side of techno for some time.

Yes, his albums have gone straight to the heart of mainstream, but perhaps it's a very clever move on his part. He's a rich mother-fcuker now, and can afford to buy supercars and do this to them - http://thesupercarkids.com/deadmau5-finally-wraps-his-ferrari-in-nyan-cat-wrap/

So, he's made a load of cheese-fest anthems for the EDM kids, pocketed his millions and is now free to do whatever the hell he wants, while saying whatever he wants to antagonize and enrage all the haters, 'forthelulz'.

Well played Joel Zimmerman, well played indeed.

• Advertisement

And he's got a sense of humor too -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

to be fair, i see nothing wrong with deadmua5...he makes quality music mostly by himself (which is more than you can say about alot of "producers" these days)
    and can play a decent live set...has a good taste and knowledge of his genre, and hes honest about his opinions. i mean what more do you want? he doesnt lick his fans butholes with false compliments (unlike most in the mainstream area) which is why i like him, you either enjoy his music or you dont, other than that i dont think he gives a ****, which he shouldnt, hes a musician not a politician.

i prefer see him on the charts than hardwell, tiesto, martin garrix, david guette or avvici...who are all crafted to be the perfect smiling faces for the camera who cant even produce their own music without getting help.
    the people who say hes **** are the people who arent even that deep into the scene...they follow the headlines and thats it...they see deadmua5 and think "what an asshole" because he obviously isnt the most polite guy out there but hes done faaaaaaaaarrr more good for the electronic music scene than any of the other **** have that i listed above

Nice, thanks for this....would never have heard about it otherwise.

Fingers crossed, but I have a feeling that Deadmau5 has a lot more in him than most give him credit for, and that his career is far from over. I'll definitely be keeping a closer eye on what he's up to anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 deink

I can understand why other big producers and Djs dislike him. Constantly moaning about them on twitter, that article "we all push play" etc etc. But I have to admit what he did to Martin Garrix at this year's Ultra was hilarious.

SamAK wrote: »
    Nice, thanks for this....would never have heard about it otherwise.

Fingers crossed, but I have a feeling that Deadmau5 has a lot more in him than most give him credit for, and that his career is far from over. I'll definitely be keeping a closer eye on what he's up to anyway.

he has a new double album dropping later this year, have a feeling itll be his best yet since he got a newly kitted studio going

deink wrote: »
    I can understand why other big producers and Djs dislike him. Constantly moaning about them on twitter, that article "we all push play" etc etc. But I have to admit what he did to Martin Garrix at this year's Ultra was hilarious.

hes anti-mainstream but admits to being part of it....so he makes fun of avvici and martin and all those guys...but loves tycho and infected mushrooms and the more underground scene.
    Problem is, most of those guys have something up their ass, deadmua5 is just goofying with them and they cant take it...the only guys that could were zedd and skrillex, theyre both on good terms with deadmua5 despite him saying **** about them aswell because he isnt personal with it, its the music hes usually reffering to, not the artists themselves...he even said martin garrix is a good kid, just that he doesnt like how martin has become a sort of symbol of mainstream edm

shane9689 wrote: »
    he has a new double album dropping later this year, have a feeling itll be his best yet since he got a newly kitted studio going

Haven't heard about this either?!

Hope it's not like 'Album Title Goes Here'....that was such a disappointment for me. Three versions of the Veldt.....ugh.

I would really, really love to see Mau5 go balls deep with an underground techno album, proper club stuff as opposed to the way he's been going the last while...

SamAK wrote: »
    Haven't heard about this either?!

Hope it's not like 'Album Title Goes Here'....that was such a disappointment for me. Three versions of the Veldt.....ugh.

I would really, really love to see Mau5 go balls deep with an underground techno album, proper club stuff as opposed to the way he's been going the last while...

judging by the fact he's realising so many tracks, id say hell do both....he'll have his mainstream stuff then hopefully more of his own taste thrown in somewhere...

• Advertisement

Deadmau5 also does these sometimes interesting 'Coffee Run' videos...much more of an accessible and 'down to earth' famous person than most don't you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

because he makes uniformly sh1t music for the past 5 years, and seems like a complete tw@t.

"oh but he's so not like Guetta and Skrillex and he takes the piss out of them" etc. - so? he's still pumping out sh1t, cheesy, generic **** using a gimmick and a big stage show to distract from the fact that the music is rubbish.

if he had the tunes to back up his bullsh1t then maybe people wouldn't see him as such a gobsh1te.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

He's **** and he's a ****.

because he makes uniformly sh1t music for the past 5 years

"oh but he's so not like Guetta and Skrillex and he takes the piss out of them" etc. - so? he's still pumping out sh1t, cheesy, generic **** using a gimmick and a big stage show to distract from the fact that the music is rubbish.

if he had the tunes to back up his bullsh1t then maybe people wouldn't see him as such a gobsh1te.

That's the thing - I reckon he has got it in him. I haven't bothered my arse with him the past couple of albums but a good chunk of releases up to and including Random Album Title are not bad at all, in my opinion.

I've already put forward my hypothesis in an earlier post - the fvcker has cashed in on the EDM buzz and is now rich, enabling him to do....well...anything.

I for one will be watching what Joel does as he gets older, because i'd love to see what he could do with his technical ability if he turns his attention to other genres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

a good example of what? :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement