Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Crashing Randomly, Fuzzy Screen (video in post)

Options
  • 02-02-2015 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask for help but I have a HP Pavilion g6, it's about 2 years old and just today it's started acting very strange. At seemingly random intervals the screen goes strange and fuzzy (I managed to grab a video which I will attach to this post) and then the laptop crashes. It turns back on but sometimes crashes again instantly and sometimes boots up again as normal. I'm at a loss, and I'm worried I'm damaging my laptop by using it at the moment even though when not crashing it seems to working perfectly normally. Any ideas? Is it a dodgy graphics card or something? Can post more specs on request, I'm just confused as to what it could be. Fairly sure it's not over-heating which was my first guess, but I can check that again if the symptoms suggest otherwise.

Thanks for any help/advice in advance.

Link to the video

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hey,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask for help but I have a HP Pavilion g6, it's about 2 years old and just today it's started acting very strange. At seemingly random intervals the screen goes strange and fuzzy (I managed to grab a video which I will attach to this post) and then the laptop crashes. It turns back on but sometimes crashes again instantly and sometimes boots up again as normal. I'm at a loss, and I'm worried I'm damaging my laptop by using it at the moment even though when not crashing it seems to working perfectly normally. Any ideas? Is it a dodgy graphics card or something? Can post more specs on request, I'm just confused as to what it could be. Fairly sure it's not over-heating which was my first guess, but I can check that again if the symptoms suggest otherwise.

Thanks for any help/advice in advance.

Link to the video

More specs would help, does it have a dedicated graphics card?

Certainly looks like a graphics card issue, or could be a mother board issue too. Cheaper HP's are not laptops I would take a chance on these days, they seem to have serious quality control issues. (This is purely my opinion...others may disagree.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Try connecting it to a TV with a HDMI cable.
    If it looks the same then more than likely it is a graphics chip issue.

Another thing to try is to get it into safe mode.
    Keep tapping F8 just after you power on.
    It may get you to a basic desktop to troubleshoot the issue.

Advertisement