Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell faulty within 2 weeks, won't replace...

Options
  • 26-01-2015 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone has advice/experience on how to handle an issue with Dell, please?

I bought a new E6440 from them in early December, at 1200 quid+. Within a couple of weeks, I started getting error messages about the power supply and the CPU started spiking to 100% use with just a browser and word document open. They sent me a new battery, it didn't solve the problem. Have tried switching power supplies, no joy.

Anyway, upshot is I asked them to replace the system because it looks like there's a problem with the motherboard. They said no, because I didn't report the fault within seven days or receiving the system. The problem didn't manifest itself until I'd had the laptop for 10 days...

Anyone know what my rights here are? They're asking me to send it back 'for investigation' but I need it for work. And in any case, it seems pretty obvious they shipped a dud and I paid for a good system, not one they can repair later. I mean, ten days... sheesh.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Well, they're not going to send you a new one without you sending the faulty one back first that's for sure.

If you send it back to them I can't see how they wouldn't either repair or replace it seeing as it's only new and it's their legal responsibility (Assuming the problem occurred because of a fault of theirs). How long you'd be without your laptop is another question.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,323 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

have you tried the diagnostics test?

on boot up press f12 and select diagnostics to see if it throws up an error

try this for your CPU but highly unlikely

they would need to take it back alright to test. If you can record the problem when it is happening so you can show them as it might not replicate when they get it back, use a stress test like prime 95

• Registered Users Posts: 22 flimflamflo

Thanks to both of you.

I've tried all of those and also updated the firmware for the BIOS at Dell's request.

My problem is that I can't trust a system that acts up inside two weeks of use. I'd be happy to exchange the dud on delivery of a new one. If I send this one back, I've got nothing to work on and I suspect my employer wouldn't appreciate it :-(

They're refusing to replace - offering to repair a dud after you've shipped it surely just entitles them to ship faulty goods and see if the customer notices?

Just wondering I'm legally entitled to a replacement as opposed to repair, given how soon it broke- and exchange the faulty goods on the same delivery transaction, so everyone's happy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Did you buy it by credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,323 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I have access to ordering Dell parts as part of my job and in 6-7 years I have only been able to get 3 laptops replaced and that was after multiple part replacements and talking to their TAM's to get escalated, so they don't replace too easily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

If your suspicion is correct and it's the motherboard then they will replace the motherboard and you will no longer have a "dud".

If they can't figure out what is wrong with it they'll replace it.

Either way you have to send them back the faulty one; the same as if you were dealing with a bricks and mortar store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

I've been here before.

Get the DELL Address for refunds dept or equivalent, sales etc

Go online to courts.ie and fill out a "Small Claims" form, fill this out, get payment done and send it registered to DELL.

Within a week youll get a refund for the full amount. They will send courier to collect the laptop before giving the cheque normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 flimflamflo

Thanks everyone. I wish I'd used a credit card, but hey, you live and learn.

Interesting insight on the parts front, thanks Skerries. It's setting the ball rolling onto a 'multiple part replacements' sequence that worries me. Reckon if I send it back 'for repairs' now, it's just be the first of many.

And thanks Glaway K9 - I'm thinking that's where this is going. I've had mobo and other parts go on other systems before, I just feel once they start poking around and replacing stuff, it'll just set the ball rolling for all sorts of other things. What happened to replacing faulty goods - this was over Christmas, I barely had time to use it when this started, so it doesn't bode well.

Just very, very disappointed that 'new' doesn't appear to count for much.

Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Get your money and stay clear of DELL. Hard lesson i had to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Phone The CAI, they'll tell you exactly where you stand, legally
    http://thecai.ie/contact/

21/25

• Advertisement
Advertisement