Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dying light 200

• 07-10-2013 3:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭

I see entries are closed for this. anyone on here doing it? Looks like a nice enough spin without too many climbs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Yep. Done a few so far. My introduction to audax. Sign up for the Kings Mountain in Feb. That's a pretty nice one as a starter. Heading out to do that solo on Wed morning.

Actually, you need to start doing audax in a serious way. That'll put manners on you with your Raid Pyrenean * 2...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

Closed already? awww, I was hoping to do it. If anyone's not using their entry, plz PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Ha! Got the last one a few weeks ago. Is there any rule against riding along the Audax route, during the event, not being registered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I wanted to do this, also missed out, if anyone who has an entry can't make it, please advise. I guess we could always run a Boards spin over the same route just miss out on the cake stops and the Jagermeister* at the end!

*unless we brought our own ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Inquitus wrote: »
    I wanted to do this, also missed out, if anyone who has an entry can't make it, please advise. I guess we could always run a Boards spin over the same route just miss out on the cake stops and the Jagermeister* at the end!

*unless we brought our own ;)

Was hoping to do this also.
    If unofficial group doing route I'd be in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

I would be on for the unofficial or official I had sent an e-mail a few weeks ago saying if anybody dropped out I would be interested or if they were upping the numbers. Any idea why it is limited to 40 people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

I'd be up for doing this if some people know where they are going, I don't know any routes in the midlands north west really and was hoping to do this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Actually, you need to start doing audax in a serious way. That'll put manners on you with your Raid Pyrenean * 2...

sure there is loads of time for that. I think i did about 10 200k audax/sportive events last year excluding the raid. (some of them with you iirc)

Im entered for this anyway. Looking forward to it.

Any idea why it is limited to 40 people
    It's because the organiser hosts hot port and mince pies at home at the end and more than that is too much to manage.

lennymc wrote: »
    sure there is loads of time for that. I think i did about 10 200k audax/sportive events last year excluding the raid. (some of them with you iirc)

Im entered for this anyway. Looking forward to it.

I'll probably see you for about 10 mins at the start before you charge off into the distance...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I'll probably see you for about 10 mins at the start before you charge off into the distance...

there will be no charging off anywhere. Keep 'er steady and pace yerself boss. Its not a race :)

It's because the organiser hosts hot port and mince pies at home at the end and more than that is too much to manage.

I believe this is organised by Andreas not Eoghan this year and as such its Jagermeister not port ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭RV

....Jagermeister....

Lidl's finest, no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

I just missed out on the entry. Sent an e-mail and I'm on a waiting list. So, to keep it above board, if you've registered and can't do it, tell Andreas and don't be PMing lads here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Feck. Forgot about this. Did it the last two years and really enjoyed it. With the move from Baggot Street, the start is only down the road from me now as well.

Might just ride the route anyway - buffalo, are you on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

forecast tomorrow is v average rain 5 to 15m rain and wsw winds 30 -50 kph.
    Could be a character building day.
    who is doing it?

I'm doing it. Dublin forecast anyway looks to be not too bad until 1pm or so...

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/hour_by_hour.html

I plan on being finished by then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I'll be taking the start anyway. Garmin charged, lights charged, wheels pumped, bike "cleaned".

In true audax spirit I have removed the pannier rack from the bike to reduce weight.

After seeing the forecast I was seriously thinking to go to the Cycle Against Cancer instead... but, feck it, rule #5, c'mon boy you can do it.

http://www.windfinder.com/weatherforecast/drogheda_duleek

See you all tomorrow :-)

(forecast for Sunday is much, much worse... :-/ http://www.windfinder.com/weatherforecast/lough_bray )

It can't touch the misery of the 6 Megaliths 300, so I shall be there hoping it doesn't rain non stop all day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Good luck lads! I shall be hammering around on a club spin instead.

barrabus wrote: »
    forecast tomorrow is v average rain 5 to 15m rain and wsw winds 30 -50 kph.
    Could be a character building day.
    who is doing it?

Starts out with a strong southerly wind to blow us up to Ardee (and
    hopefully on to Kingscourt). Winds veering southwest to westerly in the
    early afternoon and easing so something of a cross wind for the run home
    from Athboy.

Starting dry up until around midday. A band of rain (heavy at times)
    crossing from the west should clear by around 3 (but we'll be going
    westwards through it so we might get out of it sooner) and it should be
    fairly dry thereafter though with the risk of showers.

Temperatures 10-12C throughout.

A bit reminiscent of Dying Light 2011 from the weather POV...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

Really Really enjoyed this last year, am so sorry not to be able to do it again today... next year, hopefully!
    Best wishes to Andreas and all for another super day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

Starts out with a strong southerly wind to blow us up to Ardee (and
    hopefully on to Kingscourt). Winds veering southwest to westerly in the
    early afternoon and easing so something of a cross wind for the run home
    from Athboy.

Starting dry up until around midday. A band of rain (heavy at times)
    crossing from the west should clear by around 3 (but we'll be going
    westwards through it so we might get out of it sooner) and it should be
    fairly dry thereafter though with the risk of showers.

Temperatures 10-12C throughout.

A bit reminiscent of Dying Light 2011 from the weather POV...
    now thats what you call planning a route :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

now thats what you call planning a route :cool:

Enjoyed that, great route and the food at the stops exactly hit the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

DEfo going to give this audax a go next year.

My light died halfway. Disappointed.

Seriously, good route, challenging weather and kudos to organizers for support. Warm welcome, great food and super tasty german beer was all I could dream of after this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

From Kingscourt until well after athboy was character building. sadist in me enjoyed it.

thanks to everyone who gave up their day doing support or organising.

well... that was "good craic"

My first Audax and first 200km. A lot of it was done in p*ssing rain, freezing cold and strong winds. I got one flat just outside Athboy and then another around Culmullen (yes, that was me!) Thanks to the Audax lads who fixed it for me in Anthboy while I stuffed my face on peanut butter baguettes and purple snacks. And then to Lucan Laurance who was going for the "soundest lad on earth award 2013" for stopping to help with the second! You'll certainly get my vote. Grateful to everyone who stopped as I'd never have found my way back solo.

Was all worth it though for the Jager, beer and hot dog(s) in Andreas's house afterwards (the sun was shining by then... of course)

Great day out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Anyone here doing this on Saturday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭smcclaw

Yeah, I'll be there. Always enjoy this one at the end of the season.

Yep, if the throat infection clears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Yes. Are you bringing along the new Ti ride?

Yes. Are you bringing along the new Ti ride?

Yep.

Can anyone make sense of the route sheet?
    Several L roads on it that don't exist in any map browser that I have used?
    I can't use the bikeroytetoaster link as it doesn't work on an iPad.
    I did this a few years back and there was a similar issue - direct routes between villages were taken because we couldn't find the back roads.
    Anyway - weather forecast is dry.

Alas no. My 21st wedding anniversary is on the 25th. You'll pass the church where I got married at Porterstown near the end of the spin...

There are a couple of subtle turns on this route. One or two of them are "did we just pass a turn back there?" sorts of turn.

Fresh to strong southwest winds will give ye a bit of a workout.

Have fun...

• Advertisement

I'll be there. I rode the route in June so the conditions will be a bit different.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

I'll be there. I rode the route in June so the conditions will be a bit different.

Best of luck - hope the Garmin behaves this time! Weather actually looks quite similar to June, perhaps with more sun, appropriate I guess for the event!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Signed up.
    Route wise? Just tag along.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

@cdaly......yeah, SW wind looks like it's going to be an issue.
    Dagnabbit!!

Really looking fwd to this. For all sorts of reasons I have done absolutely nothing on the bike this year. Need this mentally sonyear is not a complete write off. Not sure if I have the miles in the legs, but ah well.

Does anyone know anywhere to stop along the route for some nice soup or a good scone and coffee?

• Advertisement

There are feed stops at Ardee and Athboy.

Thanks, but that's not exactly what I mean by soup, tea and scones.
    Looking for a nice place to grab a seat for a little while and enjoy a tea or coffee. No disrespect intended to the volunteers manning the stops. Last time I did this the food stops were top notch. But standing by the roadside in October ain't great fun.

But standing by the roadside in October ain't great fun.

Rule #5 applies to Audax events as well.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

ROK ON wrote: »
    Thanks, but that's not exactly what I mean by soup, tea and scones.
    Looking for a nice place to grab a seat for a little while and enjoy a tea or coffee. No disrespect intended to the volunteers manning the stops. Last time I did this the food stops were top notch. But standing by the roadside in October ain't great fun.

Kingscourt is probably your best bet, about halfway around the route and has a wide main street with a couple of coffee shops and pubs. If you grab a bottle fill and a snack in Ardee then I'd say aim for there. The run into Kells and Athboy as far as I recall is fairly flat but Kells is quite busy and close to Athboy so you might as well keep going. With a SW predicted though it may mean that run is into the wind so being flat may be irrelevant so another good reason to stop at Kingscourt! After Athboy I don't remember there being too much in terms of coffee shops, but a few closed down pubs :( were present.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

DaithiMC wrote: »
    so another good reason to stop at Kingscourt!
    Also just after the only real climb of the day so you know you have earned your sit down.
    After Athboy I don't remember there being too much in terms of coffee shops, but a few closed down pubs :( were present.
    From memory there is nothing after Athboy till you hit the city again and Athboy seemed dead the last time I passed through, the hotel might have something, Its a fairly easy going return with or against wind as it is fairly sheltered .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Looks like you're having a cracking day weather wise, a bit blowy but dry
    in Dublin. Enjoy the day. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 melovelo

Very quick pace for an Audax! Andreas putting on a feast at the end made it all wortwhile! Legendary stuff!

What a pity I couldn't join. After three days of ignoring mild throat problems I've developed a proper sinus infection yesterday.... :-/

That was a nice ride of the falling leaves. The weather was warm enough despite the steady headwind on the way back. Even the passing showers between Kingscourt and Athboy weren't a deterrent. I was in a fast group for the first 60km and then I rode in between groups for the next 70 and the most of the final 70 on my own back into Dublin.

Great organisation from the pate and baguette at the first stop in Ardee to the sausages and fantastic potato salad at the end.

http://www.strava.com/activities/212087918

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Just want to put in a large tribute to Andreas for the organisation and the big spread at the end - beer, soup, german sausages, homemade biscuits and jager amongst other selections. Stops were well manned and tremendous support along the way. Top marks !

• Advertisement
Advertisement