Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

@Cambo - There's an element of that alright but I think that tales of our European demise have been greatly exaggerated. Last year we were awful away from home and now this year we are as good as anyone anywhere away from home. One year is an anomaly. I'm chalking this year down to one of those things. Let's be honest, we would have torn the likes of Basel and Benfica apart last season. I also think that we would have beaten Bilbao quite comfortably had they come up against United in Europe last year. It may seem a bit ridiculous to say after the thorough spanking we received but nothing seemed to click this year like it did previously.
    We will have to wait and see next season to really know.
    I wasn't really suggesting a demise,I think if we played that group again we would go through easily(if we gave it the respect it deserved).

I do think there's been a bit of a change in style in Europe that we will have to adapt to,everyone wants to play the Barca way.
    I thought we were trying it ourselves from watching pre-season and the early league games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

markc1184 wrote: »
    Should United go on to win the league, and even if they don't, Evans for me should be a shoe-in for player of the year. Without him being an ever present and so consistent I hate to think of how the table could look tonight.

I agree, he has played well and provded a few doubters wrong but i think that award should go to Michael Carrick. I've never been his biggest fan and said so here many times but for a team struggling in midfield all season, he has had some top performances and i would be shocked if he doesn't get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Rooney has to be a big shout. More important than Evans to our results/performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

De Gea for me, took so much stick from united fans, opposition fans, fergie rotating him, and still put in some epic game winning performances in his first season.

Viva la Gea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Athletic Bilboa got hammered at home by Valencia today, makes me think we didnt give a toss about the europa league

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭markc1184

Vanbis wrote: »
    I agree, he has played well and provded a few doubters wrong but i think that award should go to Michael Carrick. I've never been his biggest fan and said so here many times but for a team struggling in midfield all season, he has had some top performances and i would be shocked if he doesn't get it.

I agree Carrick will probably win it and he will deserve it too if he does, but just my own opinion and if I was giving out the award it would go to Evans. Great to know though that both players have really stepped up to the plate when its mattered and proved so many doubters wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Athletic Bilboa got hammered at home by Valencia today, makes me think we didnt give a toss about the europa league
    Few key factors in that though, Soldado is on fire, valencia are better technically than us, bilbao also got a man sent off.

wouldn't consider 3-0 a real hammering either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I think Carrick or Valencia are more likely to win the Players Player. Evans should be in the running too.

Player of the Year for us will probably be Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,272 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

markc1184 wrote: »
    Should United go on to win the league, and even if they don't, Evans for me should be a shoe-in for player of the year. Without him being an ever present and so consistent I hate to think of how the table could look tonight.

United player of the year or PFA player of the year?

At United, I can see it going to Evans for Players Player and either Rooney or Valencia for Fan's.

For PFA - RVP will get it, nailed on imo.

Keeper - Krul
    Defender - Kompany
    Midfielder - Bale
    Forward - RVP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I am genuinely amazed by the machine that is Anto V.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

united since scholes came back, not including todays win.

jE4Bx.jpg

and again, i know its only wolves, but this is f*cking impressive also.

06Wvb.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Best of luck to Berbatov.

I'm a big fan of his, and I won't lie, I've missed watching him play in the United team. But there seems to be a bit of mutual respect.

As said in the article the new United setup is built around speed and Berbatov just won't fit.

Many a fantastic memory and always had the utmost respect for a guy who wasn't blessed with pace, or built like a tank, but simply knew how to play beautiful football, and possesses a touch I havn't seen since Bergkamp.

I think he will be remembered fondly, and he can be proud of carrying United to their 19th title when Rooney was out of sorts, injured and misfiring. He stepped up to the plate.

Hopefully still get to watch him for a few more years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭markc1184

United player of the year or PFA player of the year?

At United, I can see it going to Evans for Players Player and either Rooney or Valencia for Fan's.

For PFA - RVP will get it, nailed on imo.

Keeper - Krul
    Defender - Kompany
    Midfielder - Bale
    Forward - RVP

Sorry should have said United POTY. Others more deserving throughout the league as you've said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Evans has really got his game going this season. Looking forward to the future partnership of him and Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Jonny Evans has been terrific for the past few months. Deserves more credit than he's getting. Was watching the match earlier and I heard a few lads (United fans) saying he was "not United quality" after he scored his goal. Couldn't even be happy for him at that moment. Anyway, I digress, he has been one of our best players this year. Delighted he got a run of games to show what he could do.

I have been a critic of Evans. He has stepped up to the plate some what this season. If everyone is honest we have rode our luck a lot this year and our defence has not been our strongest point. I still think the lad can't head a ball clear for the life of him.In Europe we have been shocking.I liked when Smalling played with Vidic last year at CB. In my opinion Evans has done just about ok and would be hoping he is not the long term future at CB at Utd. I am looking for world class and I don't see it with Evans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Evans is certainly your most improved player but your best over the season? Had he not a few shakey patches?

Kudos to him though tbf

DB21 wrote: »
    Evans has really got his game going this season. Looking forward to the future partnership of him and Jones.

to be honest, i just dont rate jones as a center back and i think we should sign a defender this summer, added to 2 creative players

Javi martinez would be our dream signing, can play at a world class level in both positions we are short in.

though, saying that, according to berbas agent united are moving to a speed based style of play so that could see us go for different players to what we actually need.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I actually think Scholes will get Utd's player of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Top European sides are far better technically than anything you see in the premiership.
    We can't cope with teams that control the ball so well in the centre of midfield.

This.

Anybody else agree that Fergie doesn't have the right backroom team around him at the minute. I think Phealen and Meulensteen are just yes men

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think it'd be a joke if he did. Personally.

And I love that man, always have, always will. But he himself would tell you where to go if you suggested he deserved it.

Nani or Rooney for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't think Nani would even be in the running for it unless he gets back in form for the rest of the season.

PHB wrote: »

And I love that man, always have, always will. But he himself would tell you where to go if you suggested he deserved it.

Nani or Rooney for me.

Nani? Are you taking the piss? Our best players this year have been, Rooney, Valencia, Carrick. Even Giggs over Nani and he has played limited games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

I caught a glimpse of those statistics about scholes. Did Pogba run him close for completed passes. How long was he on the field

I caught a glimpse of those statistics about scholes. Did Pogba run him close for completed passes. How long was he on the field

As far as passing the ball left to right then Pogba did this. I think he came on at 3 nil and I was excited about this . In my opinion he didnt do anything of excitement to change the game and just played it safe as was probably told.

I have faith in this kid though and hope is one for the future

its a possibility, it definitely is, with still 1/4 of the season left, anything can happen. if united were to get the same return from the next 9 games, as we have done for the previous 9 and he chips in with 2 or 3 assists and 2 or 3 goals, then why not. nobody stands out right now, 4 or 5 lads are all equal sich as evans, valencia, rooney, carrick and i think in another month, de gea will be in the running also, if he continues on with his post anfield form.
    PHB wrote: »

see above, it would not be a joke at all. if he was to play 18 games and we took 50+ points in those 18 games, then he perhaps would be seen as the main reason we won the league.

we went out of CL and carling cup without he, we aint lost in the league yet without him and he wasnt involved against bilbao when we got our backsides handed to us...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

its a possibility, it definitely is, with still 1/4 of the season left, anything can happen. if united were to get the same return from the next 9 games, as we have done for the previous 9 and he chips in with 2 or 3 assists and 2 or 3 goals, then why not. nobody stands out right now, 4 or 5 lads are all equal sich as evans, valencia, rooney, carrick and i think in another month, de gea will be in the running also, if he continues on with his post anfield form.

see above, it would not be a joke at all. if he was to play 18 games and we took 50+ points in those 18 games, then he perhaps would be seen as the main reason we won the league.

we went out of CL and carling cup without he, we aint lost in the league yet without him and he wasnt involved against bilbao when we got our backsides handed to us...

The 5 players I would have put it between.

just watching MOTD, wigan would have been the ideal place to send Kiko, they are crying out for goals.id bring him back asap and send him there if it was possible. sending him to QPR was madness, especially considering how well cleverly got on at wigan.

and Mame Diouf has hit 5 goals already for hannover, which is great going for him. i always had him down as a decent player, just not good enough for United. he probably would have made it at the high end of the championship or knocked in 8 or 9 goals in a full PL season for the likes of wolves or wigan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Missing players and other factors played a big part in that, not to mention Valencia aint half bad and a return to goalscoring form from Soldado.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Evans is certainly your most improved player but your best over the season? Had he not a few shakey patches?

Kudos to him though tbf

No, he had a shaky patch right at the start of him coming into the team this season, but that has been pretty much it iirc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement