Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish citizenship question

• 14-03-2011 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm probably posting in the wrong area but I couldn't find anything dealing with citizenship queries, so here goes. Basically my bro-in-law is non-EEA national, and has been studying and working in Dublin since Oct 04. I'm just wondering is he entitled to apply for Irish citizenship. Now I have read on this website here

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/becoming_an_irish_citizen_through_naturalisation.html

that because he was here on a student visa that he would not be eligible. but "The Minister for Justice and Law Reform has power to waive one or more of the conditions for naturalisation in the following circumstances:

If you are of Irish descent or of Irish associations or are a parent or guardian applying on behalf of a minor child of Irish descent or Irish associations"

Now my question is does his relationship to me apply in this regard? I am Irish by birth and his sister has been an Irish citizen since 2006, both currently living here in the country.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

The Department of Justice is remarkably reticent about explaining under what circumstances the "Irish associations" waiver would be applied. I think it's usually fourth generation Irish Americans who try to go that route and almost inevitably get knocked back. Your brother-in-law sounds like he has a better chance than them but I'd imagine it's still fairly rare. No harm in trying though.

Advertisement