Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aero: Merida reacto or giant propel?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Both nice looking bikes , prefer seat post on Merida but prefer paint scheme of Giant. Giant is ultegra too ?

Couple of lads in our club have propels and while they look lovely I wouldn't be able to live with them , being an aero bike I find them are very low and long .

Guys love them in fairness but I know one is changing to a defy. There are more comfy bikes for sportives

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Personally I wouldn't bother with an aero bike for sportives, it makes absolutely no sense.

Heavier and stiffer because they are designed to save energy at 40 km/hr +. You will be at more of a disadvantage on a sportive because it will be more uncomfortable and you won't really be reaping the aero benefits: you won't be racing it and when you are moving fast you will be in a bunch.

I'd go so far as to say that over 160km you will probably be slower than someone on the likes of a Defy because you will be so worn out from the harsher ride towards the end of the day.

Geometry on the Propel is almost identical to the TCR by the way.

I don't know what your budget is, but I'd go with a bike that suits the riding you want to do: Giant Defy Advanced Pro

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pharma

I love my propel advanced 2, just get a proper set of wheels, not the deep section rims.

I put a set of mavic Ksyriums on mine, while it doesn't look or sound as good it's way better climbing.

Very good bike.

Advertisement