Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice setting up a small business (gym)

Options
  • 19-02-2014 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,

I am completely new to this and dont really know where to start but i have been wanting to set up a small gym for while now but kept putting it off. Essentially i want to grow it or expand further down the line but im not experienced enough i think to start off big.

All i know is that i would either need to approach a band with abusiness plan for a loan or seek investors to help funds. Is there such thing as grants for this too?

Anyway can anyone help me with some tips and maybe previous experience in this area?

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭kult

Where would you like to open, city centre, industrial building or where, it is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bandy B

kult wrote: »
    Where would you like to open, city centre, industrial building or where, it is important.

Probably industrial, west Dublin or outskirts in kildare like lexlip or celbridge etc

First thing you have to do is find a building, then see what kind of permit it has. You will need to apply for a change of use from industrial to commercial through the county council. WIthout that do not open, because it will be in breach of development law and they can close you down and prosecute. You can do retention application after you open but it is 10.80 per square meter, then you have to apply for new fire cert which is 1.5k + and disability cert which is circa 800euro... you have to have architectual plans, and pay the fees up front. Council can refuse application and the money is gone too. Architect is around 2k for doing the application...and this is just a start...:(

First thing you have to do is find a building, then see what kind of permit it has. You will need to apply for a change of use from industrial to commercial through the county council. WIthout that do not open, because it will be in breach of development law and they can close you down and prosecute. You can do retention application after you open but it is 10.80 per square meter, then you have to apply for new fire cert which is 1.5k + and disability cert which is circa 800euro... you have to have architectual plans, and pay the fees up front. Council can refuse application and the money is gone too. Architect is around 2k for doing the application...and this is just a start...:(

Christ! I take it you're speaking from experience here, this is all related to an industrial purchase though? If is the case that I go for say an office building would it be similar?

Bandy B wrote: »
    Christ! I take it you're speaking from experience here, this is all related to an industrial purchase though? If is the case that I go for say an office building would it be similar?

Unfortunately I am talking from experience. If you go for an office building is the same story, you have to have change of use planning permit application:(

I can give you more info on priv if you need it, there is **** loads you must do before you open up or after you have opened up....

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I am talking from experience. If you go for an office building is the same story, you have to have change of use planning permit application:(

I can give you more info on priv if you need it, there is **** loads you must do before you open up or after you have opened up....

Yeah that would be great if you could! Really want to know if it is worth my while!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Are you experienced in this area - for example are you a personal trainer or similar or is it just something you decided you wanted to setup just off the back of being a regular gym user or alternatively is it just a business venture?

Have you contacted any similar sized gyms for advice - if they are small operations you might find the owners friendly enough and willing to share some advice as long as you aren't opening down the road. Some of the Cross Fit gyms might be a good place to start if its something industrial you were looking into.

Axwell wrote: »
    Are you experienced in this area - for example are you a personal trainer or similar or is it just something you decided you wanted to setup just off the back of being a regular gym user or alternatively is it just a business venture?

Have you contacted any similar sized gyms for advice - if they are small operations you might find the owners friendly enough and willing to share some advice as long as you aren't opening down the road. Some of the Cross Fit gyms might be a good place to start if its something industrial you were looking into.

I have no work experience in this area but have done a couple of courses years ago around sports coaching, fitness & nutrition. Setting this type of business up is something that has came and went in my mind but have always felt a bit intimidated and doubtful in myself lacking experience.

I havent went to any particular places to seek advice but have spoke to a couple of people on boards that have done similar things. It seems like a lot of work before you can even get your feet on the ground i.e. licenses, permits, heavy amounts of money spent on paper work that can be easily refused which you have to re-apply again?!?!

You can reapply again or appeal your permit application, and it cost the same about of cash as applying new.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

Easiest way to do this really would be to just get out and talk to gym owners in their gyms. Ideally gyms in an area outside where you plan to set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Higgmasta

Hi everyone. Okay so I am completing my personal training course and I am looking to start doing classes. I have a gym and equipment. I have the location and I have the ideas as to why my gym would be unique to entice people to join my sessions. So I am looking for advice though on a few things. My local GAA club has the gym and it would be no problem for me to use it, however I need to know what kind of a license I would need for it and is there any other issues I need to be made aware of..

Cheers guys..

If you found the building etc check if you need a planning permission for change of use. This is the first step. Contact your local council and see if you need it, because if you open and then they catch you it will be a pain in the... and it will cost you 3 x more that normal application because it will be a retention application... Or if you use your local GAA club gym then you should have any problems. Just have your college cert , qualifications, personal trainer insurance and that's all.

Well as far as I am aware the gym already has a license to run as we use it to train in with the GAA. So would it be a matter of still checking that out or would I just need to approach the club with the idea

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Higgmasta wrote: »
    Well as far as I am aware the gym already has a license to run as we use it to train in with the GAA. So would it be a matter of still checking that out or would I just need to approach the club with the idea

Always better to check as it would cost nothing to very little to ask the council.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Always better to check as it would cost nothing to very little to ask the council.

Perfect thanks..

Advertisement