Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Content Management system needed.

Options
  • 19-01-2010 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

I've been asked to do a site for a friend. They would like to be able to add new content/pages themselves as they desire.
    Could someone point me in the direction of a good, easy to pick up Content Management System and possibly a tutorial to help me get this done speedily?

Thanks for any help you provide.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Need way more info about you, your skillset and what you want the CMS to do before we can advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Wordpress?

Apart from that, what p said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭CaraFawn

Joomla of course. A bit hard at first but once you understand the logic, it is easy.
    Very strong engine, lots of features, tons of outstanding style templates.

Wordpress is a blog engine, not a CMS...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

It's flexible and covers what he asked for. More information would be needed before I'd suggest Jooma. Otherwise
    it's just unneeded complication.

http://www.cushycms.com/ might be worth looking at, for a really simple solution. But, as mentioned, more information as to the requirements are needed to give a definitive recommendation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

If your looking for an extremely easy cms to integrate into an exisiting site, check out pagelime.com I've used it now on a number of clients websites and it is so so easy to use and integrate.

http://www.pagelime.com - check it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

CaraFawn wrote: »
    Joomla of course. A bit hard at first but once you understand the logic, it is easy.
    Very strong engine, lots of features, tons of outstanding style templates.

Wordpress is a blog engine, not a CMS...

Wordpress is an excellent CMS

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

cormee wrote: »
    Wordpress is an excellent CMS

Yeah, while it probably is primarily a blog engine I class it as a CMS considering it does so much more than just blogging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PageLime

I agree with Tyler :).

Use PageLime - we'll send you a personal welcome email, respond to your emails, and you'll always be able to get through to a real person (me or Tom).

We're also cooking up some great new features over the next few months.

Heck - we even respond to forum posts all over the internet once in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Regarding Wordpress - Wordpress is a first off a blog, but it can and is used quiet alot as a CMS. I have used wordpress as a cms before, and again was very easy to use, and took only a day to learn how to code my themes around it. Would recommend wordpress also.

But if you are looking for something that can be done within the hour, use pagelime, its all hosted by pagelime them selves, so there is no need install on your own server.
    PageLime wrote: »
    I agree with Tyler :).

Use PageLime - we'll send you a personal welcome email, respond to your emails, and you'll always be able to get through to a real person (me or Tom).

We're also cooking up some great new features over the next few months.

Heck - we even respond to forum posts all over the internet once in a while.

It may look like I'm promoting pagelime, but i cannot recommend these guys enough! Any problems i had, i sent an email to Tom, and i had a reply with a matter of hours! Great service!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

If your looking for an extremely easy cms to integrate into an exisiting site, check out pagelime.com I've used it now on a number of clients websites and it is so so easy to use and integrate.

http://www.pagelime.com - check it out :)

Looks the same as cushycms

Another vote for wordpress from me, very easy to use as a CMS

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Wordpress is probably one of the simplest, you don't seem to need any knowledge at all if your host has the feature to install it for you, installing add-ons is just that bit easier than any other CMS I've come across.

Still, if you want something more like a traditional site joomla is that little bit more flexible .

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭m-a-i-

Drupal or CMSmadesimple are two good ones as well....Can't beat wordpress though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Since my last post I've had a look at some of the light-cms type options. CushyCMS or Pagelime look good. Something of an in-browser CMS would be the prefered option.
    Regarding my skillset, it would be of low-mid, I'm pretty new to CSS, JQuery and have no real experience with CMS or developing PHP scripts.
    One other thing I've been requested to do with the CMS is that it be able to add additional galleries when required, its a portfolio website so it will be launched with 4 galleries already present but once my buddy takes it over he wants to be able to add galleries himself (and edit some content) without having to bother me with it. So if there a lay-man friendly CMS that can accomplish these tasks I would appreciate any suggestions.
    Again thanks alot for all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Axwell wrote: »
    Looks the same as cushycms

I've used Pagelime and CushyCMS, and I can say that they are not the same. Pagelime has much better functionality, and a more intuitive interface (if a little overly AJAX-y) for end users. Plus you can create page templates, which I believe you still can't do in CushyCMS. I would call CushyCMS a tarted up content editor, not a content management system.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

I cant help wondering why people recommend Joolma and Durpal for something as basic as CMS?

rossc007 wrote: »
    I cant help wondering why people recommend Joolma and Durpal for something as basic as CMS?

CMS stands for content management system, literally a system for managing content, which is a very broad definition. Amazon, Ebay, Wall street Journal newspaper website - all CMS sites to a greater or lesser extent, and I wouldn't call those basic. There are a lot of things that regular folks need for their websites that make Joomla or Drupal a good fit. It all depends on the requirements and future possible requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Joomla is the way to go, if you find it hard, try PHP-Fusion which is very easy! Includes forum too, of course you can disable the feature. PHP-Fusion is free, although most of the themes have a similiar layout, which is the worst bit.

Advertisement