Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Since there's so much bítching about DB drivers recently.

Options
  • 16-08-2013 2:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭

Thought I'd post something nice about them.

I get a bus to work most days, and while I'm not going to identify myself by giving the routes/place of where I work in, the stop leaves me a minimum 15 minute walk from my workplace (I get off at the last stop). I've no bother walking, but over the past few weeks, in the píssing rain, both before and after the strike, the bus drivers have several times said 'You work in X place, don't you?' and offered to drive me up there as they were going that way to finish off their shift.

So, for all the bítching some people have done about DB drivers, there are a lot of lovely, sound ones out there. :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    Thought I'd post something nice about them.

I get a bus to work most days, and while I'm not going to identify myself by giving the routes/place of where I work in, the stop leaves me a minimum 15 minute walk from my workplace (I get off at the last stop). I've no bother walking, but over the past few weeks, in the píssing rain, both before and after the strike, the bus drivers have several times said 'You work in X place, don't you?' and offered to drive me up there as they were going that way to finish off their shift.

So, for all the bítching some people have done about DB drivers, there are a lot of lovely, sound ones out there. :)

I think I might know you OP :):D Or else this is a MASSIVE coincidence. I work for DB, one of the drivers obviously and there's 5 or 6 people I've done this for in recent weeks :) Small world if so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

audman wrote: »
    I think I might know you OP :):D Or else this is a MASSIVE coincidence. I work for DB, one of the drivers obviously and there's 5 or 6 people I've done this for in recent weeks :) Small world if so...

What route do you work? PM me if you like? If it is you, I'd like to say thanks!

If it's not you, you're sound for doing it. Not a lot of people are that kind! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What happens if there is an accident between the official last stop and dropping the OP to their office? What happens if some one else wants to be dropped off in a less convenient place?

Its all well and good DB being nice and all but I'd rather they stick to their routes and times. Too often I've been left waiting for a bus or fora bus to take a different route to the planned one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

godtabh wrote: »
    What happens if there is an accident between the official last stop and dropping the OP to their office? What happens if some one else wants to be dropped off in a less convenient place?

Its all well and good DB being nice and all but I'd rather they stick to their routes and times. Too often I've been left waiting for a bus or fora bus to take a different route to the planned one.
    it is sticking to its route, it probably has to pass the ops place of work to turn around so theirs no problem here

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

it is sticking to its route, it probably has to pass the ops place of work to turn around so theirs no problem here

It is sticking to route, this particular bus always passes my workplace, or close to it when finishing off, so that it can turn around.

Aside from that, I don't see how it'd impact on bus times, as a poster inferred, because each time, it has either been the end of the shift, or a break time. So again, fair play to the sound drivers out there. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

This is a lovely idea for a thread, and I promised myself to post on it when I got a good driver.

Well, there was a lady driver on the 40 this morning at around 7.40am from Ballyfermot towards Liffey Valley, driving one of the EV type buses. She seemed to give every passenger a big smile and a "hello" when they were getting on. She smiled and thanked me for paying my fare. When getting off she smiled at everyone in the mirror when they were getting off and thanked them, I think I might have got a "goodbye" aswell but to be honest I was off on another planet. She's seemed like a really jolly driver for that time in the morning, we need more like her.

Contrast that with the bus home (and I won't give times, route or bus type) and I was lucky enough to be given a grunt when paying my fare! Ah well, one outta two ain't bad I suppose!

Driver on a 27 dropped me up to work again last week or so.

There really are some lovely people out there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭GTE

My mam was a student nurse in Dublin many years ago, suppose 70s.
    She finished a late shift, got to her stop which the driver recognised as she was a regular passenger, she had fallen asleep at that point. The driver brought the bus (still with other passengers) off the route down the road my mam would have walked, woke her up and got her to give him directions to the next required road. Dropped her off at the end of that, did a bit of reversing and back on his way.

It happened a second time when there was an iffy looking crowd of men between the bus stop and the road she walked.

Maybe current regulations (terrible things sometimes I guess :p) would stop that from happening but I am sure drivers would still do it if they could.

And the amount of lovely drivers I met as a child with my Dad getting all day tickets on the weekend going on whatever routes we could find to discover Dubland. BE drivers too were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

In Toronto bus drivers are allowed to drop off in between stops at night. Used to be just women but now everyone can request, but only one person or related group can be let off at each cross street to space people for personal security reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Shoutout to Martin on the 79

A kind word for everyone no matter if you're an young 'un or an old dear.

There is another driver on the 18 and he doesn't lack for shyness anyway.
    Watches everything and will let a roar if you're standing upstairs or you commit the mortal sin of feet on seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I've got to know a number of drivers over the last few years or so, who are a credit to Dublin Bus. The marked-in drivers on the 68 and 69 routes are among the friendliest of them, and I can have conversations with them before I get off, or as I'm getting on. They always give a friendly greeting to everyone, whether they are regular passengers or not and will always acknowledge them getting off.

I can't say I've ever been on a bus where the driver has gone out of his/her way to drop me closer to where I want to go, but even the friendliness of a good few of them is certainly worthy of note. It's only the unpleasant ones, who give the drivers a bad name. It's great to hear banter between passengers and drivers, especially in the morning. It puts a smile on my face, and no doubt does with those engaged in conversation with the drivers.

Advertisement