Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PROJECT MATHS FAIL STILL GOT 47 POINTS!?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Hahahaah Yes!!! WIN!!!

D3 here I come!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Partial credits you babes!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I fail to see the point in the article, very much like every other Indo article.

Every single 'tip' offered in the article would fall under the category of common sense and what every one our teachers has been telling us since September 5th year.
    one maths teacher has called a "massive experiment in education", an experiment that is using our pupils as guinea pigs?

Well who are they supposed to use? Guinea pigs? When a huge syllabus change like Project Maths is rolled out, it has to be rolled out in phases - and to students sitting the exam, no one else.
    questions that make up 33-50 per cent of the exam papers and which many of our young people can't even attempt.
    In last year's Leaving Certificate Higher Level Paper, if a student attempted every question but got all of them wrong, they could still walk away with a final mark of 47 per cent

That's not completely true, they have to make a relevant attempt at every single question as in partial answer. And if the first quote is true then no student will get 47% for attempting every question.

But believe me, I'm not exactly in support of PM. The course is way too long and leaves very little time for revision in class. The sample papers and phasing in is all over the place at the moment and they're leaving it impossible for anyone to write books for it. Mind you, it should become a little clearer after the 2014 bunch(the first year to sit the full PM exam).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Well who are they supposed to use? Guinea pigs? When a huge syllabus change like Project Maths is rolled out, it has to be rolled out in phases ...
    I'd agree, but it wasn't really ... it was dumped on those doing LC with no previous experience of the approach.

If they were serious about introducing a problem-solving / real life approach to maths, it should at least have been initially focussed at those going into second level. Ideally, in fact, the first place to introduce it (very gently) would be at primary level.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I'd agree, but it wasn't really ... it was dumped on those doing LC with no previous experience of the approach.

If they were serious about introducing a problem-solving / real life approach to maths, it should at least have been initially focussed at those going into second level. Ideally, in fact, the first place to introduce it (very gently) would be at primary level.

Okay I do think they should have just trialled it from first year on or something. But that would have taken so long. But I heard a few teachers saying they were forced to rush it.

They were spending so much money and the government/people didn't think it was justified so they needed results asap. So it's more politics really.

The "experimentation" still had to happen..just not this quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    So it's more politics really.
    You're probably right, but while it's impossible to keep politics out of education, it should definitely be kept out of curriculum, pedagogy and assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

" many of our young people can't even attempt."

We had questions from the PM sample papers for our summer tests, everyone attempted all of them and did well. Actually they aren't as hard as the old LC questions imo, I've had a flick through the old book and think it's harder.

100th post. woop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

Why does everyone hate PM.
    I'm just finished 5th year and maths makes so much more sense now. Before 5th year I would if being hoping for a c3 after 5th year I want an A1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

Project Maths is hated because it's a system that has proven to be a failure.

Don't get me wrong, as a teacher in PM I enjoy some of the approaches I can take to teaching, but if you go through the past and sample questions there are so many ambiguous and vague questions that can be interpreted in so many different ways. It's absolutely not acceptable and it's grossly unfair.

Also, the standard in Maths at Leaving Cert level has dropped with this course. I look at the Maths module I did in first year of college and how difficult it was despite the fact that I was a HL old course student with a B1. It's going to be twice as hard now for those wishing to study Maths after school.

Advertisement