Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning web design

Options
  • 06-04-2010 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Hello :)

I'm just wondering,is their any good guides for learning how to create your own website from scratch ?

I'm a n00b with all this,so will need to start with the basics.(probably html?)

I'm nearly finished school atm,and I'm thinking about looking into web design when I'm done.I have a website but a friend designed it for me.

I was thinking about something like "HTML for dummies" (the book)

I'm not sure if this book is any good though,and there seems to be a few of them so don't know which one to buy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Html for dummies should be grand. Its alot easier than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lmao_Man

Ah great quick reply :D

thanks alot,yeah I think I know abit of HTML(really,not much)

I might have a look on eBay or something for it,see is it going cheapish.....or might try getting it in a book shop,maybe Easons ?

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 madmaxpower

if you are a complete noob.

CoffeeCup software is a decent what you see is what you get editor.
    It has a html editor aswell.

This might get you started a little faster then sitting down learning HTML.

You can learn as you go and then decide to code it yourself.

Cheers Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭LeBash

http://www.w3schools.com/

Thats a rockin' roll pizza ria for html

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

http://www.w3schools.com/www.lynda.com

You should be looking at learning xhtml and css to start with.

Download notepad++ as an editor and just start messing around creating pages and using the code you learn from the tutorials. Avoid wysiwyg editors, you will never learn code using them at the start and you are better off to get your head around code and css first off.

• Advertisement

Thanks alot everyone for the replies.

I had a look at w3schools.com and it does seem
    pretty good :)

I'll have to have a proper luck at it when I have time....don't think I'm going to buy the HTML for dummies.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The "Missing manual" series of books is pretty good too, I got one of those for CSS. I always like a book that walks me through with tutorials, you might like to get one on Joomla or Drupal as well as allot of websites are going down that direction.

ScumLord wrote: »
    The "Missing manual" series of books is pretty good too, I got one of those for CSS. I always like a book that walks me through with tutorials, you might like to get one on Joomla or Drupal as well as allot of websites are going down that direction.

Thanks :) I'll have a look on eBay for that to see what it looks like :)

yeah I think HTML is starting to go out of date lately,but it's somewhere to start.....want to try do my own wesite as a test but haven't got any ideas to do it on atm.

My other sites are about affiliate marketing btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's free software,

www.joomla.org

www.drupal.org

• Registered Users Posts: 18,429 ✭✭✭✭kippy

LeBash wrote: »

Thats a rockin' roll pizza ria for html

Would defo recommend this site. Learned anything I have ever needed off it and reference it on the few occasions that I do any web work. Also use Notepad or a text editor as advised in another post as it really gives you a great insight into how everything works.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's free software,

www.joomla.org

www.drupal.org

While these are open source and useful in their own way if the OP is considering a possible career in web design he would be better to grasp the basics and work towards these later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

In agreement with Axwell above, its better be a steady walker before you try running

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Lmao_Man wrote: »
    I was thinking about something like "HTML for dummies" (the book)

'Heads First XHTML + CSS' is a great book, it's exactly what you need to get started, and teaches you very good practice coding techniques. I can't recommend it highly enough.

p wrote: »
    'Heads First XHTML + CSS' is a great book, it's exactly what you need to get started, and teaches you very good practice coding techniques. I can't recommend it highly enough.

just had a look on eBay for that and I can get it for around 12e Inc postage which isn't bad :)

had a look in easons today but they didn't have the for dummies one,only had one book for HTML and I didn't hear of it before so didn't buy it just incase.

I would buy the book you said now,but waiting to get money in my paypal,should have money in paypal in around a week.....

Do these books explain pretty much everything about HTML ? As I said before,I'm
    a complete noob at this,so need all the help I can get :)

Want to attempt a site in the next month or two just to see how it goes :)

thanks again for all the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,429 ✭✭✭✭kippy

just had a look on eBay for that and I can get it for around 12e Inc postage which isn't bad :)

had a look in easons today but they didn't have the for dummies one,only had one book for HTML and I didn't hear of it before so didn't buy it just incase.

I would buy the book you said now,but waiting to get money in my paypal,should have money in paypal in around a week.....

thanks again for all the replies.
    Until you get your books, and even when you have them as mentioned above you cant go too far wrong here:

Yeah alot of people have mentioned that site :)

I'll try to have a good look at it tomorrow :)

This book gives you a pretty good grounding in how to code a basic site in HTML and CSS. It also gives you some background knowledge about web servers, ftp etc. that it's important to know as well.

It's not going to teach you everything, but it will give you an excellent base to start from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I would recommend getting a book too. W3schools is an excellent reference but it's still fragmented knowledge and the book will give you a feel for the complete process which you can then augment with all kinds of references as you go.
    This one is really good:
    http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Website-Right-Using/dp/0980455278/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270799399&sr=8-3

Agree with mhge - W3schools is great as a reference and a compliment to other learning. It doesn't teach you the 'bigger picture' at all, which is quite important.

Advertisement