Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

take a website offline for a while????

Options
  • 29-03-2010 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

is it possible to take a website offline for a few days etc. How do i do it and what are the risks involved?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

If you have access to the .htaccess file you can do this (assuming you are using PHP and Apache)
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteRule .* offline.html

.* means any character any number of times. So whatever URL is entered in by the user they will be "redirected" to offline.html in which you can have a message saying the site is offline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 needhelp

great thanks a mill, i,ll try this 2mro

cheers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Why are you doing it? Could be bad for SEO purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 needhelp

ya i think it may eff up my google rating n stuff. but i need to show that the site is "taken off" for a few days.... or maybe i cud just set up a new index page saying under construction etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Yea, temporary homepage would be better I think.

Maybe ask in the SEO forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

needhelp wrote: »
    ya i think it may eff up my google rating n stuff. but i need to show that the site is "taken off" for a few days.... or maybe i cud just set up a new index page saying under construction etc....
    What about redirect with 307 (Temporary Redirect) code. That should maintain Google rank.

Advertisement