Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warehouse clubs. Why is Ireland so behind the rest of the continent?

Options
  • 19-02-2017 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

What has to be done in order to get something like this going?

I've been across Europe recently and the diversity in the clubbing scene is unbelievable compared to here at home.

I know nothing about how it would be done but I just thought i'd post anyway :)

Imagine a club on the ground level of Bolands Mill for example. There are some great spots around Dublin like the Pigeon House and Iveagh Markets(Perfect).

I was at Tresor, Nowa Jerozolima in Warsaw and my favourite MMA in Munich. These are all beautiful old industrial locations transformed to take the crowd of the night. An old industrial factory, a large warehouse and a gas factory.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

What's required.....a sensible and mature view of licensing laws/opening hours, with Publicans/Vinetars not influencing same.

So never gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

because there isn't the market. Germany, Netherlands, Poland etc have pretty big dance scenes and population centres that can support the amount and diversity of clubs there.
    Ireland has little of that culture, even the few clubs that cater to dance music here rarely sell out.

The Beyonce selfie brigade that attend most clubs in Ireland have zero interest in something like Tresor or MMA.

maybe when District8 and Hangar in Dublin are redeveloped into hotels over the next year, a space like that might pop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

because there isn't the market. Germany, Netherlands, Poland etc have pretty big dance scenes and population centres that can support the amount and diversity of clubs there.
    Ireland has little of that culture, even the few clubs that cater to dance music here rarely sell out.

The Beyonce selfie brigade that attend most clubs in Ireland have zero interest in something like Tresor or MMA.

maybe when District8 and Hangar in Dublin are redeveloped into hotels over the next year, a space like that might pop up.

I wouldn't say that's fully true. There's definitely a rave culture that has emerged and spilled over in to the mainstream over the last 5 years. Opium/District 8 sell out most weekends, and Dublin punches above its weight in terms of quality of act it attracts.

There's definitely a market emerging for those sort of nights, very much distcint from the Beyoncé Selfie brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Is that true about those clubs turning into hotels or are you joking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

There actually is some here.

Modern clubbing culture is a load of **** anyway.

• Advertisement

Charlie wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that's fully true. There's definitely a rave culture that has emerged and spilled over in to the mainstream over the last 5 years. Opium/District 8 sell out most weekends, and Dublin punches above its weight in terms of quality of act it attracts.

There's definitely a market emerging for those sort of nights, very much distcint from the Beyoncé Selfie brigade.
    I don't think anything really has emerged in the last 5 years that has been that much different to anything before that. 5 years ago there was the likes of Twisted Pepper and Tripod putting on the big names that are in District 8 and Opium now.
    usually no problem getting tickets on the door for District 8 and Opium most weekends in my experience.
    yes, there's a market but there isn't a market for another 1000 person venue putting on the same acts as District 8.
    as I said, maybe when it and Hangar go, there'll be room.

CWF wrote: »
    Is that true about those clubs turning into hotels or are you joking?

no, both building were sold within the last year and are planned to be turned into hotel/apartments early next year:

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/andrews-lane-theatre-in-central-dublin-sells-for-4-4m-1.2613981

http://www.newstalk.com/Tivoli-theatre-owner-wants-venue-replaced-with-aparthotel

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭godfrey

Licencing and insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Insurance is a huge issue. Some of the crazy claims that get through the courts here are unbelievable. The low level of personal responsibility that Irish judges seem to think is reasonable to expect is nutso

Advertisement