Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuji Track Classic

Options
  • 17-12-2014 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

I picked up this 2014 Fuji Track Classic recently. Loving it. I currently have it running freewheel as it's my first single speed.

I added some mudguards (winter mode) and Schwalbe Durano Plus tyres. Other than that it's completely standard. Excuse the crappy pic but you get the idea. I've since removed the awful toe straps.

I'll be looking to upgrade some parts over time. Any suggestions on some improvements?

Cheers

Image_zps27b3b419.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i think harrybelafonte rode or rides one of these. nice bike.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I have a 2004 one and race it. Love it. It has new stem, bars and back wheel but everything else is stock. Great bike and light. Mine's very flexy though. She's getting a new BB soon, I'll do her hubs and headset over winter and she'll be as good as new come February!

Re upgrades, ride it for a while and see what you like/don't like, what suits or doesn't. Class bike!

ETA pedals also changed on mine. It also only has a goldfinger brake I have yet to put on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭donal7

Thanks for the replies.

I found this Genesis Flyer online and love the look of the setup. Anybody know the components - wheels, saddle, etc?

07genesisflyer_zps5c3eb62a.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Get rid of the saddle and buy something comfortable, don't buy **** like a saddle cos it looks good on something else.

Get rid of the drop bars. Your brakes are on the tops so you have no need for drop bars, or at least shouldn't be using them as you can't brake when in them.

Don't buy all black wheel with a single speed as you'll have them destroyed in a few hours with trying to brake on a painted surface.

Get rid of the red chain and the red cables.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys for all the replies.

Thanks Harry for that info. I'm going to change a few things gradually. I guess like you say a good start might be to change the chain & brake cables to tidy things up somewhat :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I would only change the saddle if it is uncomfortable, the Fuji one suits me nicely but if its not right for you then that would be the first to go.

Second would be the wheels, the Fuji ones were grand for me but I did notice an improvement once I swapped them out for something nicer. Agree with Harry about the braking surface. Don't get coloured brake surfaces.

I wouldn't be too worried about the drops, handy if you are on a long straight and want to try different positions, maybe get drop brakes if you use them, but they aren't doing any harm if you just ignore them.

Definitely get rid of the red chain, it cheapens the bike, makes it looks like one of those cheap Create bikes or similar.

Fuji got to the "fixie culture" thing a bit late and coloured chains are out, they did come on the Giant Bowery about seven years ago.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I would only change the saddle if it is uncomfortable, the Fuji one suits me nicely but if its not right for you then that would be the first to go.

Second would be the wheels, the Fuji ones were grand for me but I did notice an improvement once I swapped them out for something nicer. Agree with Harry about the braking surface. Don't get coloured brake surfaces.

I wouldn't be too worried about the drops, handy if you are on a long straight and want to try different positions, maybe get drop brakes if you use them, but they aren't doing any harm if you just ignore them.

Definitely get rid of the red chain, it cheapens the bike, makes it looks like one of those cheap Create bikes or similar.

Thanks CramCycle for that. When you said about the cheap Create bikes that was it for the chain! I'll replace it very soon.
    What wheels did you go with?

Cheers

5917964753_4a576894be_z.jpg

The machined version of these or Weinmann.

• Advertisement

5917964753_4a576894be_z.jpg

Very nice. Thanks for that :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

donal7 wrote: »
    Thanks CramCycle for that. When you said about the cheap Create bikes that was it for the chain! I'll replace it very soon.
    What wheels did you go with?

Cheers

I got the Miche Xpress wheelset but I picked them up from someone selling them off a new bike, never used. They are overpriced but if you can get them in a sale (I got them at almost 1/4 their RRP) I have found them solid and nippy, perfect for road duties.
    Harry knows alot more about wheels then me so I would take his advice over mine if he disagrees.

Not really dude. The Miche are a good wheel by a little too pricey. Best bet is to go into On Track on Cook at and see what they have. I ballsed up the original wheels on the Fuji. Broke spokes and just felt the wheel too soft. Get something strong but that you like the look of.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

On Track have some Weinnmans at a decent price. I went down the build your own wheel route which Id advise you giving a go! Shopped around and used he original track hubs the set cost me €70? Halo Aerotracks

My one basically just had the frame as stock now, not had it long but can't get enough of it. If I were changing something, I'm a big fan of a decent pedals with straps, don't like the clips and clipless is inconvienient as you need specific shoes.
    New saddle is always nice, really should try before you buy though..
    Don't really feel like I need drops for what I use the bike for so that's personal preference and use.

paZuyY1Cj

Damn that's nice. I have polished metal wheels on mine at the moment but want to get rid of them, think the Halos might do if can't find Weinmann.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Keep the drops but get proper brakes levers. If they don't sit well on track bars, get road bars.

granty1987 wrote: »
    On Track have some Weinnmans at a decent price. I went down the build your own wheel route which Id advise you giving a go! Shopped around and used he original track hubs the set cost me €70? Halo Aerotracks

My one basically just had the frame as stock now, not had it long but can't get enough of it. If I were changing something, I'm a big fan of a decent pedals with straps, don't like the clips and clipless is inconvienient as you need specific shoes.
    New saddle is always nice, really should try before you buy though..
    Don't really feel like I need drops for what I use the bike for so that's personal preference and use.

paZuyY1Cj

Hey - thanks for the reply. Lovely job on the bike. Good work.

Can you let me know what pedals/straps you have? The stock pedals like you say are so annoying.

donal7 wrote: »
    Hey - thanks for the reply. Lovely job on the bike. Good work.

Can you let me know what pedals/straps you have? The stock pedals like you say are so annoying.

You just need BMX pedals and On Track would have the Velcro straps.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

yeah any BMX or flat MTB pedal would do the job. the pedals and straps were bought by the previous owner, not sure the brand of pedal but the straps are bagaboo - pretty solid.

I picked up the Fizik Arione saddle on the Cycling Adverts page secondhand

Have you thought about trying the fixed gear on it? never really need to use the brake with it, although i have become a bit pedantic about trying to get it to run as quietly as possible

Found this for some inspiration...

fuji-track-classic-2014-22706_1_zpsud1bvg02.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement