Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bin Collection... looking for alternative

Options
  • 16-06-2015 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭

So got an email today from City bin to say they are now going to charge for the brown bin......€5.00 per lift and the black bin will be €8.50... from the 1st June!!!! Just a bit late on that one aren't they!

We were on €7.33 per month + €6.40 per black bin collection. I do recall them emailing last year sometime to say we now had to pay in advance for the monthly fee, which was fine.

I notice though the monthly has gone up €8.33... no idea when, I don't pay much attention and have no access to my bills as my email crashed recently and I lost them all.

It also seems the last couple of black bin collections were €8.50 per lift.

Does anyone know when these priced changed? I know the deal we had is not available to new customers now, but it was much better deal than a flat €20 per month as we only stick the black one out every 6 weeks or so.

So I had a look around at the alternatives
    Panda
    Oxigen
    Thorntons
    Greyhound

I don't know if they all cover our area (Carpenterstown) but they do all have one thing in common. Not one of them display any kind of price list and I can't find any kind of price comparisons done anywhere around the web.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

I used greyhound in Galway. They were the pits. They missed loads of collections and when I did cancel them, it took them about 2 months to come take away their bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I too use CityBin and I am in Carpenterstown. I was also surprised that the pay-per-lift option is no longer available, but I can understand why from a business perspective - the trucks still have to drive through every estate and the employees still have to be paid.

The new charge for a brown bin is not on. Often my brown bin only has a tiny amount of stuff. I am sure people will wait months for the brown bin to fill and that is not a good thing as the contents will be well and truly rotten by then.

It is disappointing that the other companies do not display prices.
    I am in two minds as CityBin are reliable and I doubt that other operators have vastly different prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

In fairness to Citybin, I sent them a message last night and I just got a call back. They admitted a mistake was made with the email and increase will not be untill 1st July.
    daymobrew wrote: »
    I too use CityBin and I am in Carpenterstown. I was also surprised that the pay-per-lift option is no longer available, but I can understand why from a business perspective - the trucks still have to drive through every estate and the employees still have to be paid.

Actually, when you go digging in their website and choose other areas, the pay-per-lift still is an option, all depends on where you live. If you live in Lucan (I think it was), you can get everything for a flat fee of €17 per month as opposed to €20 a few miles away where we are

The new charge for a brown bin is not on. Often my brown bin only has a tiny amount of stuff. I am sure people will wait months for the brown bin to fill and that is not a good thing as the contents will be well and truly rotten by then.

Exactly. The brown bin won't be going out so often now so it is basically going to become a health hazard.

The Citybin rep who rang me tried to tell me there has always been a charge per lift on the brown bin! and that all their plans have this charge. She is going to check it out and call me back, but how can they not know what their own prices are???
    It is disappointing that the other companies do not display prices.
    I am in two minds as CityBin are reliable and I doubt that other operators have vastly different prices.

I am happy with them, they pick up extra bags if you leave them out which never happened with the old crowd. I am unhappy with the price increase though and will be shopping around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

I'm with CityBin too and am raging over this. We would have left our brown bin out every two weeks. With this increase, that would result in an additional charge of €120 per year on the brown bin alone! Ridiculous!

Their service has always been very good and I've been with them for a long time (the 1st in my estate to get them IIRC). So much for rewarding loyalty.

I remember you used to be able to leave grass clippings in the Coolmine Recycling Center and a place in Damastown for free. Is this still available?

I'm with CityBin too and am raging over this. We would have left our brown bin out every two weeks. With this increase, that would result in an additional charge of €120 per year on the brown bin alone! Ridiculous!

Their service has always been very good and I've been with them for a long time (the 1st in my estate to get them IIRC). So much for rewarding loyalty.

I remember you used to be able to leave grass clippings in the Coolmine Recycling Center and a place in Damastown for free. Is this still available?

i think you have to pay there now also!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Seve OB wrote: »
    i think you have to pay there now also!

I was afraid you'd say that :)

Just got a call back. She offered me a "great deal" of a flat rate of €20 per month for all bins. I asked why are there different rates depending on where you live and was told there isn't.

I'm not even gonna bother anymore. Will keep my eye on the prices and shop around

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭StoptheClocks

I believe the differences in charges between locations is due to the council charging the company . Fingal seem to charge more than dublin council.

I'm in Dublin 15. I get charged 20 flat rate. I notice people dumping grass clippings behind hedges in the estate. So some companies must be charging. I could get away with putting brown bin out once a month but it does become toxic with flies at the height of summer.

ah but it depends where you are in Fingal. Girl here in work was offered by a City Bin rep who called to her house the other night a flat rate of €17 per month. She is in Finglas

ah but it depends where you are in Fingal. Girl here in work was offered by a City Bin rep who called to her house the other night a flat rate of €17 per month. She is in Finglas

I think the charge on my bill is 17.62. Vat brings it up to €20. I wonder was the rep being cute.
    I'm in blanch and they don't seem to cover all the streets in my estate. They're not all offered on the website. They only have a handful of customers on my street. They're the cheapest option available for my level of usage. So they must not have to drop the price to undercut the competition. Some houses would need they're grey bin lifted each week. They only lift grey every 2 weeks. So, i can see why people use Panda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I notice people dumping grass clippings behind hedges in the estate.
    I think that FCC would look upon this as illegal dumping with a 150 euro fine! You could report them and ask a Litter Warden to warn them.

Someone told me that the rotting clippings will attract rats but that doesn't make sense to me.

I think that FCC would look upon this as illegal dumping with a 150 euro fine! You could report them and ask a Litter Warden to warn them.

Someone told me that the rotting clippings will attract rats but that doesn't make sense to me.

I have never caught them in the act. I only see the pile of clippings. I guess other residents see them doing this as it would be difficult to do unnoticed. It doesn't bother me I find it strange as everyone has a brown bin. I can only guess the clippings are from common areas that the council don't cover. They only seem to cover the large areas with a tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Murt10

I was just on to Citybin. Same story as other posters. E20 pm and leave the bin out as often as you like. or stay as you are with a monthly standing charge of E8.33 plus E8.50 per lift on the black bin and a new charge of E5.00 on the brown bin.

In order to save me ringing round, has anyone been able to come up with a better alternativve

Murt10 wrote: »
    I was just on to Citybin. Same story as other posters. E20 pm and leave the bin out as often as you like. or stay as you are with a monthly standing charge of E8.33 plus E8.50 per lift on the black bin and a new charge of E5.00 on the brown bin.

In order to save me ringing round, has anyone been able to come up with a better alternativve

i haven't got a chance to ring around yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

I was with City in my old house in Mochtas but they dont do my new road in Blanch Village.

Am with Panda who still use bin tags, beyond frustrating having to remember to get a bin tag so they take your bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭bkeane

Neighbours moved from Panda to Greenstar a few months ago - now they have been told that Panda is taking over their route - Lohunda area

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Have Panda not finished putting chips on their bins so people don't have to use tags? That's been going on for years.

Have Panda not finished putting chips on their bins so people don't have to use tags? That's been going on for years.

Sadly not, its plastered all over their site going back a couple of years. First bin I left out I pay the annual fee and was expecting debit or monthly dd and got home to a full bin. Rang them and asked about chipping and she just mumbled and trailed off twice.

In this day and age would it be so hard to be able to pay money on your account and get your bin lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

As you say the firms seem slow to publish their charges. Maybe they're open to negotiation? I managed to get some prices. Answers were a little unclear so correct me if you've been given different quotes. Also are there other firms out there?

Panda
    €110 p.a. or €55 every six months
    +€9.35/240l (the normal size) black bin or €4.65/120l black bin lift,
    no weight charge,
    green and brown bins free.

Greenstar
    Greenstar have dropped D15 since July 2015.
    They used to charge €65 p.a. plus
    €3.20 + 26c/kg, per black bin lift
    €2.50 + 15.5c/kg, per brown bin lift

Greyhound
    No answer.

Oxigen don't cover the area any more but used to charge
    €240 p.a. or €14 per "lift of both bins".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

As you say the firms seem slow to publish their charges. Maybe they're open to negotiation? I managed to get some prices. Answers were a little unclear so correct me if you've been given different quotes. Also are there other firms out there?

Panda
    €110 p.a. or €55 every six months
    +€9.35/240l (the normal size) black bin or €4.65/120l black bin lift,
    no weight charge,
    green and brown bins free.

Greenstar
    Greenstar have dropped D15 since July 2015.
    They used to charge €65 p.a. plus
    €3.20 + 26c/kg, per black bin lift
    €2.50 + 15.5c/kg, per brown bin lift

Greyhound
    No answer.

Oxigen don't cover the area any more but used to charge
    €240 p.a. or €14 per "lift of both bins".

Was just going to ask about this and seen thread....first week brown bin is due out with new charges so not putting out so think I need to look at options

I am paying with City Bin
    8.33 per month, 99.96 per year
    Black bin is now 8.50 per lift
    Brown bin 5 per lift

Black bin every 2 months at the moment so €51 per year(this will increase as new born in house)
    Brown bin every 2 months(now) so €30
    Total: €180.96 per year

Change to Panda
    110 per year
    Black bin: €56.10
    Brown bin free
    Total: €166.10

Saving with Panda €14.86

• Advertisement

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    Was just going to ask about this and seen thread....first week brown bin is due out with new charges so not putting out so think I need to look at options

I am paying with City Bin
    8.33 per month, 99.96 per year
    Black bin is now 8.50 per lift
    Brown bin 5 per lift

Black bin every 2 months at the moment so €51 per year(this will increase as new born in house)
    Brown bin every 2 months(now) so €30
    Total: €180.96 per year

Change to Panda
    110 per year
    Black bin: €56.10
    Brown bin free
    Total: €166.10

Saving with Panda €14.86

yea but i haven't pulled the trigger yet because you have to pay the 110 up front to panda. then you have a pain in the arse going getting bloody tags for the black bin!
    i would also not be surprised to see panda introduce brown bin charges sometime in the future.

i''ll wait a while before I make any move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Panda let you pay the 110 in two installments of 55. Also, if you get new bins delivered by Panda they are chipped already so no need to buy tags. They send an invoice every 6 months.

January wrote: »
    Panda let you pay the 110 in two installments of 55. Also, if you get new bins delivered by Panda they are chipped already so no need to buy tags. They send an invoice every 6 months.

an invoice every 6 months for all the bin lifts?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

an invoice every 6 months for all the bin lifts?

Currently the bin tag for panda is €9.35 for the regular black bin. They will be moving to PPL and invoiced system at some stage so all the bins will be chipped. If you join today, I think you have a choice between chip or bin-tag. The PPL cost will be €8.70, so a small saving per lift on the current tag price of €9.35. Green & Brown still free.

We're bin tags here in Huntstown. Old school I know, but there is some benefit in knowing that you will not be hit with a bill (4 months worth of lifts; not 6 as previously mentioned ). We are a '2 week black' family so that'd be a payment of approx 8 lifts every invoice.

The small inconvenience of having to purchase a bin tag doesn't bother me.

Never any issues with Panda.

dodzy wrote: »
    They will be moving to PPL and invoiced system at some stage so all the bins will be chipped. If you join today, I think you have a choice between chip or bin-tag. The PPL cost will be €8.70, so a small saving per lift on the current tag price of €9.35

Does this piss anyone else off, being a customer and having the hassle of having to go to the shop to pay more than Johnny come lately

Shemale wrote: »
    Does this piss anyone else off, being a customer and having the hassle of having to go to the shop to pay more than Johnny come lately
    A lot of people would prefer to pay a few extra cent for a tag when they need it as opposed to getting hit for a much larger sum via a direct debit every 4 months. I suppose it's a bit like the prepay power / gas setup. At least people with low disposable income can manage better with the current system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

dodzy wrote: »
    A lot of people would prefer to pay a few extra cent for a tag when they need it as opposed to getting hit for a much larger sum via a direct debit every 4 months. I suppose it's a bit like the prepay power / gas setup. At least people with low disposable income can manage better with the current system.

According to panda you still have to pay the 110 and then buy tags too.

January wrote: »
    According to panda you still have to pay the 110 and then buy tags too.
    The €110 remains ( or 2 payments of €55 ). Obviously if you go with a chipped bin, that's the end of the tags for ya. With the additional cost of the brown bin now in place with City, it'll bring the yearly prices very close between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 nlassai

Hi All,

I'm looking for an alternative Bin collection services in Ongar Village apart from Panda.
    Any inputs will be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.
    Ongar Mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 robhall_ie

Hi, I recently changed to Greenstar who then decided not to continue in Ongar, so they auto-xferred my account back to Panda.

Advertisement