Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

InfoSec Reading

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Thank Christ. A new InfoSec thread that doesnt involve SSL(or Ryanair).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

The Cuckoo's Egg. I'd recommend it for anyone interested in InfoSec as despite it dealing with ridiculously old tech at this point, the lessons in it are still suprisingly relevant today.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Volovo

Blowfish wrote: »
    The Cuckoo's Egg. I'd recommend it for anyone interested in InfoSec as despite it dealing with ridiculously old tech at this point, the lessons in it are still suprisingly relevant today.

Good suggestion. Halfway through this now.. Yes I have a lot of free time on my hands! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

I read an abridged version of this in the Reader's Digest a long time ago - cripes, it must have been 25 years ago - I was probably just starting out in IT about then.

It was a great read then and it's a great read now.

Great suggestion!
    Blowfish wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

An addition for the list:

Misha Glenny - DarkMarket: Cyberthieves, Cybercops and You

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 anotherlogin

Ghost in the Wires by Kevin Mitnick. Normally I hate biographies but this was fantastic. And a nice break from usually technically orientated infosec books.

Stealing the Network: How to own the box. A terrific read.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

++ on Cuckoos Egg.

Spam Wars by Brian Krebs: Fairly recent one, on the Russian control of the Pharma bot nets and the civil wars that brought them down. Reads at times like a Russian novel.

Also in general, I found works by Susan Brenner good but tending towards the legal aspects of InfoSec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Ghost in the Wires by Kevin Mitnick. Normally I hate biographies but this was fantastic. And a nice break from usually technically orientated infosec books.

Agreed. Enjoyable read. Very low effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

What about blogs? Or is twitter where all the kool kids are at these days?

Obviously Krebs and Schneier ... Moxie Marlinspike's blog is very good, but infrequent.

I like Zero Day, and Naked Security too.

For books ... The Cuckoo's Egg is a must read, and I really enjoyed Dissecting the Hack, with it's complementary POVs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Volovo

You know that funny phenomenon of learning or seeing something new, and then for the following days or weeks you seem to see that same thing again and again all over the place, where you never would have noticed it before!?

That is kind of happening to me now with Cliff Stoll, the author of that Cuckoo's Egg book. My God he's incredibly eccentric. He just popped up in a channel I follow on YouTube, thought ye might enjoy this!

Masters of Deception is a good read. All about the early days of hacking and the "war" between the Masters of Deception and the Legion of Doom who were trying to out do each other with digital pranks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,476 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Volovo wrote: »
    That is kind of happening to me now with Cliff Stoll, the author of that Cuckoo's Egg book. My God he's incredibly eccentric.

You haven't lived until you own a zero-volume single-surfaced four-dimensional object suspended in three-dimensional space, trust me. Guaranteed to break the ice at parties.
    Still hoping to read his book sometime :)

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement