Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Internet down?

Options
  • 27-04-2014 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭

Is it just me or has anyone else's internet gone down. I'm in Mulhuddart and it's been down for about the last hour or so?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Mulhuddart here too and working fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

January wrote: »
    Mulhuddart here too and working fine.

Just me then. Must try the old off and on trick so!

edit - which worked. Saw some 'offline' message in red on the box when I went over to unplug it. Don't know why/how it happened but we're sorted now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Down for me in coolmine. All the upc wifi are gone too. So it must a general outage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

Down all day in our area of d15. Been very flakey with lots outages for past three weeks. Maybe to do with new free wifi's.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Yeah up and down in clonsilla in the last week or so

• Advertisement

fisherking wrote: »
    Yeah up and down in clonsilla in the last week or so

Down again- i rang them earlier and they say they had no reports of internet down in d15. Going send someone out but thats not going do any good if its the area thats intermittent.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

Similar issues in Clonsilla the past few weeks (its been rock solid previously), I got in touch with UPC through their Boards forum (here), they couldn't find any problems when reviewing my router logs but it sounds like more of a general problem, and perhaps one that they're not admitting to. I can't help but think that the rollout of 'Horizon WiFi' is the root cause somehow, the timing fits. I encourage you guys to get in touch with them if problems continue, you can pm the support team 'UPC: Reps' at the link above.

I must check with the mobile when it goes down do all the other routers go down, and the free wifi SSID's.

If your own goes down you should be able to connect to any free wifi. But if you can't it must be a area/general outage.

Since I switched to the horizon/TC7200 package I'm seeing regular drops, of about 5 mins at a time, then it comes back. I'm not online that much to notice it. Only that I didn't have them only my older connection, at least not as often.

Whats the best way of tracking it.

There are a number of logging tools - we use this at work (http://www.pingplotter.com) so Ive just installed it now at home to give it a try - its only 30 days free trial though.

www.pingdom.com might be worth a try also - its doesnt need anything installed on your your pc as its their servers ping you - and its free - but my UPC modem doesnt seem set to reply to pings.

“Roll it back”

Mines gone bad again to night. Out completely earlier, down to 3mb down and 256kb up tonight.

• Advertisement

Back up working now. 70mb ish on WiFi.

UPC say there is no problem in the area.
    If those affected can install this - and we see the internet go down at the same time - it will help prove to UPC there is something wrong.

Here is my stats for last night - (you can ignore the chart at the top - but it does contain useful info about speed issues (latency) - red in the bottom graph means internet down)you can see it went several times at 7:30 and most of the night after 8:30pm. This is very unusual for UPC - been with them years and never had a problem.

ibyjd3.jpg

Its The basic version app from (http://www.pingplotter.com) - set it to ping www.upc.ie (once per minute) and in options set the autosave to true.

“Roll it back”

Will try it late tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭root69

I have noticed that for the past 4 days at 0030 until 0145 all internet and TV are down. It is possible they are running some maintenance routines due to the Horizon Wi-Free.

I am not sure.. just assuming since I receive a letter launching the new feature/product..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

My router had a stroke today after a reboot. It would only broadcast the Horizon Free SSID and not my private one. Took a factory reset to sort it.

root69 wrote: »
    I have noticed that for the past 4 days at 0030 until 0145 all internet and TV are down. It is possible they are running some maintenance routines due to the Horizon Wi-Free.

I am not sure.. just assuming since I receive a letter launching the new feature/product..

Try run that program and if it goes at the same time as mine they will have believe us that its something outside the house.

Its either that or an idea i have is the new stuff they are running on the modem to do two wifi signals is causing it to overheat. I have mine out of the tv cabinet its normally in and i seem to be getting longer between outages now.

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

root69 wrote: »

I noticed the internet but hadn't noticed the TV. Glad it's not just me!

ozmo wrote: »
    UPC say there is no problem in the area.

Problem for me ended up being a corroded wiring in a junction box just outside my house - so a localised issue that they fixed very quickly with some new connectors.

So Yay for UPC :)

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Weird, we were facing this issue as well. It continued too for the last 2 weeks until the 4th visit from UPC got it sorted. Initially thought to be a junction box outside, then the line levels onto the street, but 2 routers later and its stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Upc down here in Kilbarrack funny television box is still up. Might start sending smoke signals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ongarite

UPC internet down for anyone in Ongar?
    Mine has been out since yesterday evening..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭Virgin Media: Brian

ongarite wrote: »
    UPC internet down for anyone in Ongar?
    Mine has been out since yesterday evening..

Het there Ongarite,

We've been working on a fault in this area but you can check the service status online here: http://www.upc.ie/customer-support/service-status/

If you need any further help just send a PM with your acc info to UPC: Reps.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ongarite

Down again tonight since around 9pm.

Advertisement