Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secure online backup solutions

Options
  • 05-06-2015 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

If like me, you enjoy the convenience of being able to store and sync documents in the cloud with apps like Dropbox but aren't too fond of risking the NSA leafing through your docs, then you've probably given some thought to this.

I'm aware that the ultra paranoid would probably keep their backups on an airgapped machine however it would be nice to know next time some jackbooted thugs come crashing into your home to seize your drives that you'll have a way of getting your data back.

The criteria it seems to me for secure cloud storage are:

- Open source client and (ideally) server software.
    - Client-side encryption of data, no snake oil crypto!
    - Free or low cost.
    - Some guarantee that the storage provider won't go tits up overnight.

The last one is very important as some of the solutions I found e.g Cyphertite are no longer accepting registration of new users and the software for Jungle Disk apparently hasn't been updated for some time.

My current provider is Wuala who recently moved to a paid model. I have no objection to this but firstly the software is proprietary, so there's no guarantee against a backdoor. The same would seem to be true for SpiderOak.

The only cloud storage providers I've seen which seem to tick all the boxes are Duplicati, SparkShare, BTSync and OwnCloud. I've had any amount of difficulty with Owncloud for the record... and in any case the encryption appears to be server side.

Do any of you have experience with the above? How do you NSA-Proof your files stored in the cloud if you have any?

Comments

Advertisement