Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Building new roads just makes people drive more"

• 23-10-2014 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭

Some interesting stuff in here for roadsies (probably already known anecdotally, but nice to have sources and research collected):

http://www.vox.com/2014/10/23/6994159/traffic-roads-induced-demand
    This finding has since been replicated with Japanese and British data. It doesn't seem to be an effect of optimized planning. Again and again, more roads lead to more driving — with no reduction in congestion.
    Turner and Duranton have also found that public transportation doesn't really help alleviate congestion either — even if it takes some people out of cars and puts them on buses or trains, the empty road space will be quickly filled up by new vehicle-miles. Other researchers have found exceptions to this rule (say, when a transit route parallels heavy commuting corridors) but it doesn't seem to be a large-scale traffic solution, at least given the way US cities are currently built. (Note that transit can have other beneficial effects, like making a city more affordable. But it doesn't seem to have much effect on congestion.)
    A few other factors also contribute to induced demand. The economists noticed increased truck traffic in the areas with more new road building — partly an effect of long-haul trucking companies optimizing their routes to take advantage of newly built roads, and partly an effect of industries that rely heavily on transportation moving in to an area to do the same.
    Turner notes that traffic isn't necessarily a bad thing: it's a sign that lots of people want to use the roads in a certain area. If you want transport-heavy industry and new residents to move to your city, then new roads are an infrastructure investment that appear to attract them.
    if your goal is reducing traffic congestion, this research shows that adding road capacity won't do it. But there is a way: congestion pricing. "Essentially, you charge people for access to roads at the times they're congested," Turner says. At rush hour, using a road costs more than in the middle of the night. Only a few cities — like London and Singapore — have tried this sort of scheme so far, but research shows that it has appreciably reduced traffic by shifting behavior. People opt out of making some trips, or shift them to times when the roads won't be so busy, ultimately cutting down on traffic.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

"Traffic expands to fill available space." is a well known maxim.

Adding public transport does work in modal change (whatever about motorist congestion) - however, the public transport needs to take road space from car use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

While it may bring with it, more traffic, surely there are other considerations. Some of this new traffic for instance could help generate economic activity. Also have to consider improvement in people's lifestyles in that they can now do a journey which they would have shied away from in the past.

Increasing capacity in all forms of transport, whether it be public or private is not a bad thing in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Besides, there is upper limit of congestion and journey numbers.
    Population.

Ultimately the car numbers rise only up to the point. You can't have more cars (or passengers in public transport) than people.
    Excessive congestion means that transport capacity doesn't match population and economic activity in given area.
    Restricting number of journeys by pricing people out means that you are hitting the poorest most. For them the same rise in cost of movement will be proportionally much more hurting than for the rich.

Is that what we need in western world?

If population and economy is growing the extra capacity should simply be provided. I personally think it should largely be provided from general taxation as it is progressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Geogregor wrote: »
    If population and economy is growing the extra capacity should simply be provided. I personally think it should largely be provided from general taxation as it is progressive.

I think the key point, is that better infrastructure doesn't cause more traffic. It facilitates people to make journeys which they wouldn't have made in the past due to substandard infrastructure.

As you say, improved infrastructure would eventually reach a point where all journey are catered for and where no one is put off doing certain journeys due to substandard infrastructure / traffic.

But at what point do you stop?

traffic.jpg

Whatever the system, peak capacity is the most expensive capacity to add. That counts whether you are building a road, public transport or flipping burgers.

Let us say you are building a road. Each boundary, verge, drain, etc. costs €500 per linear metre of road (not square metre of road). To construct a traffic lane will cost €1,000 per metre of road. However, a roads get wider and wider, this €1,000 per metre of road increase by 10% for each additional lane to account for more complicated bridges, junctions, etc. In the table below a one lane (per side of road) road will cost €2,000.

However, if you add an extra lane to that 1 lane road, you don't increase effective capacity by 100% - you only increase effective capacity at peak times by 100%. For the rest of the day / week, you are creating vast amounts of unusable capacity. So, let us say, that each time you add a lane, the effective capacity of the new lane is 80% of the previous lane. So the capacity of the two lane road is 1,800.

So using these assumptions, the price of a two lane road might be worthwhile, but as you make the road wider and wider, it starts to get very expensive to add the capacity (capacity that doesn't get used) and your value for money goes through the floor.

The numbers used in this example won't hold for all roads, so be careful if reusing this example.

Lanes (per side of road) Cost per lane (per metre) Total cost per metre Capacity per lane Total capacity Cost per capacity
    Lanes Cost per lane (per metre) Total cost per metre Capacity per lane Total capacity Cost per capacity on the extra lane
    Boundaries only €1,000 €1,000 0x 0x -
    1 €1,000 €2,000 1,000x 1,000x €2.00
    2 €1,100 €3,100 800x 1,800x €3.88
    3 €1,210 €4,310 640x 2,440x €6.73
    4 €1,331 €5,641 512x 2,952x €11.02
    5 €1,464 €7,105 410x 3,362x €17.35
    6 €1,611 €8,716 328x 3,689x €26.60
    7 €1,772 €10,487 262x 3,951x €40.01

• Advertisement

Think there might be an error in your total capacity column...

Victor wrote: »
    If the "Capacity per lane" refers to the additional lane each time the table should look like this:

Lanes (per side of road) Cost per lane (per metre) Total cost per metre Capacity per lane Total capacity Cost per capacity
    Lanes Cost per lane (per metre) Total cost per metre Capacity per lane Total capacity Cost per capacity
    Boundaries only €1,000 €1,000 0X 0X -
    1 €1,000 €2,000 1,000X 1,000X €2.00
    2 €1,100 €3,100 800X 1,800X €1.72
    3 €1,210 €4,310 640X 2,440X €1.77
    4 €1,331 €5,641 512X 2,952X €1.91
    5 €1,464 €7,105 410X 3,362X €2.11
    6 €1,611 €8,716 328X 3,690X €2.36
    7 €1,772 €10,487 262X 3,952X €2.65

If the "Capacity per lane" is accurate then 4 lanes and 5 lane roads have an almost identical capacity and anything more than that actually has less capacity, a 7-lane road would have less capacity than 3-lane road. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,059 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Lanes Cost per lane (per metre) Total cost per metre Capacity per lane Total capacity Cost per capacity
    Boundaries only €1,000 €1,000 0X 0X -
    1 €1,000 €2,000 1,000X 1,000X €2.00
    2 €1,100 €3,100 800X 1,800X €1.72
    3 €1,210 €4,310 640X 1,440X €2.99
    4 €1,331 €5,641 512X 1,152X €4.90
    5 €1,464 €7,105 410X 922X €7.71
    6 €1,611 €8,716 328X 737X €11.82
    7 €1,772 €10,487 262X 590X €17.78

Am i correct in saying that using your table it costs €1000 per metre to construct a single lane road way but €9488(not sure where your figure of €10,487 comes from) for a seven lane highway. Is that correct. Sure the for each additional lane it comes in lower overall rather than higher, since you the cost of getting services etc onto site is already allowed for in the first lane. :confused:

Think there might be an error in your total capacity column...
    You are correct. Apologies, it was a long day. :)
    If the "Capacity per lane" is accurate then 4 lanes and 5 lane roads have an almost identical capacity and anything more than that actually has less capacity, a 7-lane road would have less capacity than 3-lane road. :P
    I'm not sure where you ware coming from. More lanes, should in theory always add more capacity, but you have to realise that at 3am Tuesday morning having 7 lanes is a waste of resources.

Apologies if my error confused you.
    Quazzie wrote: »
    Am i correct in saying that using your table it costs €1000 per metre to construct a single lane road way but €9488(not sure where your figure of €10,487 comes from) for a seven lane highway. Is that correct.
    You need to add the €1,000 for the boundaries, drainage, etc., so it would be €10,448 - the different is in the rounding of the cents.

Sure the for each additional lane it comes in lower overall rather than higher, since you the cost of getting services etc onto site is already allowed for in the first lane. :confused:
    I'm not sure where you ware coming from. More lanes, will always cost more. By "services", do you mean the building contractor's overheads? In the life of a road these are modest. However, a two lane road can go in a lot more places in the landscape than a 10 lane road, due to rivers, buildings, ground undulations, junctions, etc.

Again, apologies if my error confused people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

"Traffic expands to fill available space." is a well known maxim.

... and then tends to extend beyond that space/capacity to an acceptable level of inefficiency. It's a property of many different types of networks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭SeanW

But at what point do you stop?

traffic.jpg

Whatever the system, peak capacity is the most expensive capacity to add. That counts whether you are building a road, public transport or flipping burgers.
    You could argue that adding roads to deal with population increase has gone to far in that pic.

I would counter that it's a question of adding different parts to the transportation mix depending on the specific circumstances. E.g. in a small town or village, you can add traffic capacity to build your way out of a traffic problem and be satisfied that will deal with the problem. All the small/medium sized towns in Ireland that were bypassed would bear this out.

Of course, in a large city, it would be more accurate to say that you cannot plan on accommodating everyone, everywhere driving everywhere by car - Robert Moses tried this in New York and it was a spectacular failure.

But if Robert Moses was an extremist in one way, one also has to guard against extremists the other way, such as those who would pretend that the same things that "work" in London or Singapore are the solution for glorified large towns.

As for Dublin, the biggest deficiency is in public transport - my current commute is less than 5 miles but takes more than an hour, why? Because the city has been neglected in terms of its public transport system. In this context, it is understandable that people are using the M50 as a commuter motorway even though it's massively congested at commuter times - if the people stuck in traffic on the M50 and other roads in the capital had a decent public transport system including considerably more rapid transit, many of those people wouldn't be driving. Yet if my own work were a few miles further out, I would be joining them because by PT there would be no point.

I would argue that the same is true in your pic - the problem is a very large scale demand for transportation, and it is at this point that public/rapid transport should be the dominating factor.

SeanW wrote: »
    You could argue that adding roads to deal with population increase has gone to far in that pic.

Just to clarify, I hope you guys know that this picture is photoshopped and used often on different forums to show road "overbuilding"

If I'm correct the road used for this montage is either I-405 or US Hwy101 in Los Angeles and it is "only" 6+6 configuration.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

Just to clarify, I hope you guys know that this picture is photoshopped and used often on different forums to show road "overbuilding"

If I'm correct the road used for this montage is either I-405 or US Hwy101 in Los Angeles and it is "only" 6+6 configuration.
    ;)

Yeah it is photoshopped; I used it for a presentation in college :pac:

I then realised after looking on google maps streetview and google earth what the real road looks like, and I think I drove on the road when on holiday; but used the photo anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Highway 401 around Toronto can be fairly impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Aard wrote: »

This was originally built as D2M, of course, but they had the foresight to leave room for expansion.

401_pre-widening_at_Keele,_March_21,_1958.jpg

It is now wider

Highway_401.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Aard wrote: »

It's more terrifying than impressive driving it. Good grief I've sweaty palms reliving it.

donvito99 wrote: »
    It's more terrifying than impressive driving it. Good grief I've sweaty palms reliving it.

Why? I drove it and didn't have any problems. Perfectly easy to drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Why? I drove it and didn't have any problems. Perfectly easy to drive.

Well look at you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

On those parts of the Ontario 401 with collectors you are generally driving in a 4 lane carriageway, maybe 5 lanes. So not totally different from elsewhere, although of course it is a quad rather than dual carriageway. Also Canadians are reasonably responsible drivers, by international standards.

donvito99 wrote: »
    Well look at you.

But seriously, what was the problem? Lane changes? Speed?
    Freeways of Los Angeles are much more tricky as drivers are constantly cutting in front of you without any indication. So even if there are less lanes it is more stressful than the 401 in Toronto.
    Still nothing beats trying to overtake trucks on narrow 2 lane roads. It is always more dangerous and stressful than any freeway, motorway or expressway, however wide or busy.

Anyway, ardmacha explained it very well:
    ardmacha wrote: »
    On those parts of the Ontario 401 with collectors you are generally driving in a 4 lane carriageway, maybe 5 lanes. So not totally different from elsewhere, although of course it is a quad rather than dual carriageway. Also Canadians are reasonably responsible drivers, by international standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

It is to varying degrees related to the topic discussed here. A large part of this problem is down to a lack of proper planning from all parties involved (both directly and indirectly). Such parties include but are not limited to administrative counties, railway providers and bus operators. To start off, when some previous plans were drawn up to create new town centers with surrounding satellite neighborhoods, very little seemed to be done in the way of planned public transport links.

An example of this is the ongoing developments where the Dun Laoghaire Golf Club used to be. It consists of a heavily underused quality bus corridor on Upper Glenageary Road complete with at least two disused bus stops. One is located beside Park Pointe just off Upper Glenageary Road while the other is located in Honey Park near it's entrance from Kill Avenue. When planning these bus stops, did Cosgrave Developments liaise with Dublin Bus to confirm that they would introduce a bus route or routes at some point in the future or was this merely an assumption?

As I am less than impressed with the efforts of the state run public transportation bodies to deliver on their promises, I would openly accept efforts by established or start-up transportation companies to provide services. Aircoach's parent operation, First Group, provide a myriad of services in the UK ranging from intercity railway to suburban bus services. In fact, many of them are casual commuter services like Dublin Bus.

The number of journeys made by car on an ever expanding network of roads is surely indicative of latent demand for a corresponding public transport service. The lack thereof gives cause to demand for further development of motorways or dual carriageways. As I pointed out in another thread which the aforementioned hyperlink brings you to, there needs to be something of an M50 for railway services. The desired effect of that would be to curb future increases in M50 usage as well as encouraging existing users to leave their cars at home.

Currently, the M50 is already bursting at the seams predominantly between the Ballymount Junction and the N4 and again around Ballymun. Further widening would result in compulsory purchase orders. As someone who uses the M50 to get to and from work, I can see that it is rapidly reaching breaking point. While I mostly travel against the flow of traffic, tailbacks between the N81 and Sandyford are a frequent occurrence in the AM. I would certainly consider using public transport if I didn't have to go into town to come out the other end which takes 4 hours out of my day.

For inter-suburban travel, cycling is being streamlined as a healthier and more sustainable way of combating the issue being discussed in this thread. Presumably, this is to slow down the current trend of increases in car journeys as well as a replacement for ones currently undertaken by car. As has been pointed out by a few posters on other threads, upwards of 10000 car journeys a day are a kilometer or less which is cause for concern. Having said that, I do still disagree with many of the measures being taken by the DMURS for this purpose as the Dutch have far better ways of doing this.

Advertisement