Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Royal Flush

Options
  • 20-05-2015 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭

Anyone out and about having a gawk at Chuck and Cam? Fair play they brought a bit of sunshine with them and got a great reception on The Mall and in The Model.

Personally I think it's good for the village, great for the parish and since we can't change history, I say let Sligo milk the worldwide publicity we're getting and let us bask in the limelight.

Unfortunately I'm working but did get a glance at the cavalcade on The Mall (incidentally it was the quickest lunchtime car trip down Connaughton Rd and down Bridge Street, no traffic everyone must have avoided the area). So let me live vicariously through ye, any craic ska or goss about the visit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Shook his hand out at the IT.. seems like a very friendly bloke to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭red bellied

Him and Camilla are off to the late night after the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I think worldwide publicity might be pushing it. Nothing will change long term, a few select streets got a lick of paint and Charles got to see the spot where his grand-uncle got blown to smithereens. Back to reality tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

I think worldwide publicity might be pushing it. Nothing will change long term, a few select streets got a lick of paint and Charles got to see the spot where his grand-uncle got blown to smithereens. Back to reality tomorrow.

That's a tad harsh AllGuns! :o

The Royal visit is currently the headlines of the Daily Mail on line. Lovely shots of Mullaghmore on it. Looks like there was a good turn out there for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

Was like Vietnam here a few minutes agowith helicopters taking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Are they gone to the north now?

I think so. They are in Enniskillen tomorrow so the papers said. I heard all the helicopters too, around 8pm, presumed they were outa here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

A momentous, extraordinary occasion. I never thought I'd see the day. Thank God I lived to see it. Significant, meaningful and challenging gestures from all parties. Greeted with a warm welcome and no disruptions that I have heard of (compare that to how Enda Kenny would be treated). Truly wonderful to see. A mighty couple of days for Sligo. Be proud of yourselves, one and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Phew by all accounts all went well. Nice to hear that the Mullaghmore part of the trip was a politician free zone and they were asked not to attend. A poignant visit certainly not one for Perry or his ilk jostling to stick their thick heads in front of cameras.

In general though, well done Sligo. Chas left a few bob behind the bar in Toffs for us tonight just to let ye know. First come first served.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 aine100

He came to the IT. The students were beside themselves with excitement, which was really sweet, I thought they would not be bothered. What I liked was that he was much more intent on talking to the students than staff. It was a great day for us here.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

The only part of this trip that I witnessed myself was the extra Garda presence and the constant helicopter movement around town, everything else was either from Facebook or tv. That was a great capture for Sligo races too. RTE never cover it, but it was all over the irish channels and radio stations because of the visit. And from what I'm aware the royals don't go to too many race meets.

At some point in the future people will be able to say 'Remember that time the King and Queen of England visited Sligo'. (provided he doesn't kick the bucket before his ma' does).

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

aine100 wrote: »
    The students were beside themselves with excitement, which was really sweet
    Such eejits :o. It's good he came here from a political point of view but all these members of the public that went out of their way to shake his hand or even just get a look at him is quite pathetic and embarrassing.

thebuzz wrote: »
    Such eejits :o. It's good he came here from a political point of view but all these members of the public that went out of their way to shake his hand or even just get a look at him is quite pathetic and embarrassing.

How sad!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I'm not quite sure but the basic fact is this. Can we go back in time and change the past to our liking whatever view we take? Unless you have a time machine Buzz, then no.

The "war" is long over, tis time to enjoy ourselves without worrying about that sh!te. Chicks visit twill benefit Sligo because of the International coverage so whether you're a black nationalist protestant or a chinese muslim white catholic, if you live it Sligo we will reap the benefits from the publicity.

So if you're not from Sligo? TS.

Well said Plazaman!!! The beautiful sunshine on the showed the true beauty of the place. I had friends contact me from all parts of Europe as they had seen the coverage and thought Sligo looked beautiful. Two of them I might add have never been here and now want to visit. Proof is in the pudding there that the publicity we got was priceless!! I thank God that the day went as well as it did, without incident or we may have gained publicity and been put on the map for all the wrong reasons, then no one would want to visit here. The fact the Charles went on to comment on how we are a warm, friendly and welcoming nation also boosts confidence for tourism.
    People have their own opinions on the Royal visit and that's fine but if they think it had a negative effect then they are in denial. It was win win for County Sligo which I am sure will result in higher tourism figures for the year and hopefully, repeat business in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭JTL

I'm sure Charles and his wife are good people but as someone who has no time for the concept of monarchy I thought it was a bit 'pathetic' also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Heard from a good source that Lissadell was INUNDATED with calls the next day asking about opening times/location/etc. I think that's a FANTASTIC result with a royal visit. It's brought Sligo to the forefront of peoples minds again and it's been a beneficial visit. I don't particularly like the royals, I don't understand the fascination for them, but he can have a cup of tea anytime in my house if it helps this drowning town of ours.

Ya never know, it might even bring back some high street stores and open the town up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Where did they stay for the night after visiting Sligo?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Plazaman wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure but the basic fact is this. Can we go back in time and change the past to our liking whatever view we take? Unless you have a time machine Buzz, then no.

The "war" is long over, tis time to enjoy ourselves without worrying about that sh!te. Chicks visit twill benefit Sligo because of the International coverage so whether you're a black nationalist protestant or a chinese muslim white catholic, if you live it Sligo we will reap the benefits from the publicity.

So if you're not from Sligo? TS.
    I'm not saying we shouldn't move on from the past. My point is I just find people who were going mad to shake his hand or even just get a look at him was embarrassing in my view. He's a nothing who happened to be born into a certain family, just a big drain on UK (and Irish during his visits) taxpayers. What's the fuss about meeting him?!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭JTL

I'm not saying we shouldn't move on from the past. My point is I just find people who were going mad to shake his hand or even just get a look at him was embarrassing in my view. He's a nothing who happened to be born into a certain family, just a big drain on UK (and Irish during his visits) taxpayers. What's the fuss about meeting him?!?

My thoughts exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

State visits happen regularly, and this particular one was very good for the image of Sligo.

At with all state visits there were people representing various groups who were invited to meet with the visitors. In this particular instance I think the meeting between Cllr Seán MacManus and Charles was pretty important.
    Both have suffered great personal loss due to the troubles and this was a further step in the process of peace and reconciliation. Other councillors and those representing various groups also met with Charles and Camilla.

Like a couple of other posters I have an issue with people queuing up just to catch a glimpse of them, or getting excited by the fact that they managed to shake his hand.

This type of fawning over people sickens me to my stomach.

He is no different to any of you, or me, or anybody else. Why queue up to get a look at him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Our appetite for celebrity culture has become insatiable and so that has lot to do with it.

Sooner or later William and his wife will hit these shores for a quick visit to see what was once considered to be their back garden, and the E! News and OK magazine crowd will lose their collective minds.

It wouldn't be my cup of tea but it's fairly harmless.

Advertisement